Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Boveda Packs Regeneration
shilala 12:34 PM 03-14-2014
I use a lot of 65% Boveda packs. I often find them rock hard among "stuff".
A couple weeks ago I found two, and I'd always guessed I could soak them in water to juice them up again, so I tried it.
It works just fine. No need for distilled water because dissolved solids can't pass through the membrane, anyways. There's just salt solutions in them to begin with, so there's no "right amount of water" to worry about, either. It's pretty awesome.

Awhile back I looked around to see if I could find some semi-permeable membrane of some sort to make big Boveda packs for my stuff. I never did leg it out, I got drawed off. I need to get back to that. :-)
[Reply]
stearns 12:38 PM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
Awhile back I looked around to see if I could find some semi-permeable membrane of some sort to make big Boveda packs for my stuff. I never did leg it out, I got drawed off. I need to get back to that. :-)
Please do, I'll be your test subject, you dont even have to pay me very much :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 12:48 PM 03-14-2014
I tried it also, but it seemed to turn the membrane yellow and make it very weak. I was afraid of it busting and ruining stogies.
[Reply]
Subvet642 12:50 PM 03-14-2014
I recharge my Boveda packs all the time. I just put them in a tupperware with a cup of water such that they don't get wet, and close it up. In a week, charged packs.
[Reply]
T.G 12:56 PM 03-14-2014
I've been recharging the boveda packs for years using basically the same method as Darren described, put them in a tupperware with a wet sponge and seal it up for a while.

I did recently toss one of the small wet-nap ones into a container of water to see what would happen, the labels/outer "paper" fell off within 24 hours, then it eventually expanded to about the size of a golf ball.
[Reply]
shilala 12:57 PM 03-14-2014
I just went and looked some more, I can't find any kind of membrane aside from dialysis stuff. Latex might work, dunno. I suppose I'll have to go search permeability by size.
It's not fun so far. I bet that's why I stopped looking before. :-)

These big packs have been soaking for a couple weeks, at least. They haven't degraded a lick. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 01:02 PM 03-14-2014
I dunno Scott. I used RO water rather than tap, but I can't see that making a difference. Maybe the two sizes use different materials for the outer layer? This was one of the white colored packs if that helps any.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 04:36 PM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
I recharge my Boveda packs all the time. I just put them in a tupperware with a cup of water such that they don't get wet, and close it up. In a week, charged packs.
:-)
[Reply]
shilala 05:41 PM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by T.G:
I dunno Scott. I used RO water rather than tap, but I can't see that making a difference. Maybe the two sizes use different materials for the outer layer? This was one of the white colored packs if that helps any.
No clue at all. I bet you're right, though. The white ones seem different. I have the brown paper ones.
[Reply]
EricF 05:49 PM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
:-)
^^^This^^^
[Reply]
shilala 06:06 PM 03-14-2014
I figured out what I can use to make packs. Now I just have to find some and this is a party. I'm looking forward to messing around with it. I already tested umpteen saturated salt solutions for use with SAP, but it all sucks cause the salt crawls all over. The only way to hold it in is pvc.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 06:13 PM 03-14-2014
Take a look at the humi bags on this page. I just got some of these in a shipment from Atlantic. It's apparently what you want, built into a plastic bag.

http://www.sikarlan.com/OTHERS.htm
[Reply]
T.G 08:21 AM 03-15-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
No clue at all. I bet you're right, though. The white ones seem different. I have the brown paper ones.
Here are some photos. If there is anything on it that you want examined or a closer shot of, LMK.
Attached: wDSCN2541.jpg (45.1 KB) wDSCN2544.jpg (33.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Subvet642 10:07 AM 03-15-2014
Here are some photos. If there is anything on it that you want examined or a closer shot of, LMK.
Adam, in that state, do they still maintain their set rh?
[Reply]
mk05 10:30 AM 03-15-2014
I just dunk the Boveda in water until it gets squishy again. Must have done it at least 5 times per bag. Works better with bigger ones.
[Reply]
T.G 10:53 AM 03-15-2014
Adam, in that state, do they still maintain their set rh?
I haven't bothered to check yet, so I'll have to test one and get back to you.
[Reply]
Subvet642 02:11 PM 03-15-2014
I haven't bothered to check yet, so I'll have to test one and get back to you.
Thanks. I would imagine that the salt concentration must have a lot to do with performance.
[Reply]
hotreds 04:09 PM 03-15-2014
Originally Posted by mk05:
I just dunk the Boveda in water until it gets squishy again. Must have done it at least 5 times per bag. Works better with bigger ones.
I'll hafta try that, I have quite a few of these. Does it matter how hard they've gotten, or should they still have some "squish" to them?
[Reply]
longknocker 04:12 PM 03-15-2014
I regenerate mine, too. I also wonder if The RH is accurate after this.:-)
[Reply]
BlkDrew 05:12 PM 03-15-2014
Originally Posted by hotreds:
I'll hafta try that, I have quite a few of these. Does it matter how hard they've gotten, or should they still have some "squish" to them?
It will regenerate from completely crisp.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up