Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor advice
bdgile 04:45 PM 05-18-2015
I know it's a long shot, but I was hoping someone could give me some advice on this humidor. I don't know anything about it, but I could really use the size! They are asking $500. Do you think this is fair?

The size is listed as "42".

I'm thinking about checking it out. It's quite a drive so I wanted to ask you guys first.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Attached: image.jpg (71.9 KB) 
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 05:33 PM 05-18-2015
Some of the Inmates would need a bit more information:

Is there a brand name or was the cabinet home made?
What is the age of the cabinet?
Is there a H x D x W?
What comes with the cabinet (i.e., humidifiers, digital hygrometers, fans, and if there are brand names for these items)?
Did the seller indicate what they purchased the cabinet for?

I know, I'm picky, but a little information helps in valuing an item:-)
[Reply]
dijit 05:56 PM 05-18-2015
For the size it could be a good value. However what Mark said is very true different manufacturers could mean the difference between a diamond or a lump of coal. Take it from someone who learned the hard way with an E-bay special.
[Reply]
Ogre 05:57 PM 05-18-2015
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Some of the Inmates would need a bit more information:

Is there a brand name or was the cabinet home made?
What is the age of the cabinet?
Is there a H x D x W?
What comes with the cabinet (i.e., humidifiers, digital hygrometers, fans, and if there are brand names for these items)?
Did the seller indicate what they purchased the cabinet for?

I know, I'm picky, but a little information helps in valuing an item:-)
:-)
[Reply]
bdgile 07:03 PM 05-18-2015
Holds up to 3,000 Cigars
Antique Cherry Wood Finish
JC Pendergast Humidification with 20% to 80% Control Panel.
2 Tempered Glass Doors on Top
2 Raised Panel Wood Doors on Bottom
Adjustable European Hinges on all doors
4 Adjustable Spanish Cedar Shelves with Eight Vent Ports
New Blower Fan
New Weather-stripping
Spanish Cedar Bundle Bin
All Shelves and Bins are ported for Air Circulation
Completely Lined with Premium Kiln Dried Spanish Cedar
New Plated Lock & Key sets
Brass Pull Knobs on Doors
2 Interior A/C Outlets
Capacity: 3000 Cigars
Dimensions (Outside): 42"W x 16.5"D x 73.5"H
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 07:37 PM 05-18-2015
Brian, sounds like a winner of a cabinet humidor for 5 bills. Now that you've mentioned the humidification system, it may just be a cabinet from the following company:

http://www.jcpendergast.com/Humidors.aspx

Don't hold me to it, but your "42" wide appears to be similar to some of the cabinets featured at the JC Pendergast web page.

I'm sure you'll know more once you arrive at the home where the cabinet is located for review. You may want to look for any labels that are affixed to the cabinet that would indicate the name of the company who built it.

Again, nice looking cabinet and good luck on the deal:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:03 AM 05-19-2015
It looks like a great find!

One thing to keep in mind is that glass-to-wood joints are often a source of leaks in a humidor. Before you start using the humidor you may want to take the time to seal the glass-to-wood joints with some aquarium- or food-grade silicone sealant -- then let it dry and air out for a few days.

After that give it a good, long seasoning and you will be good to go!
[Reply]
bdgile 11:24 AM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
It looks like a great find!

One thing to keep in mind is that glass-to-wood joints are often a source of leaks in a humidor. Before you start using the humidor you may want to take the time to seal the glass-to-wood joints with some aquarium- or food-grade silicone sealant -- then let it dry and air out for a few days.

After that give it a good, long seasoning and you will be good to go!
Great idea! I have never used sealant on a humidor myself before. Makes a ton of sense!

Thanks!
[Reply]
bdgile 09:02 AM 05-28-2015
I bought the humidor! A couple days of seasoning and we're ready to go!
Attached: image.jpg (104.3 KB) 
[Reply]
irratebass 09:28 AM 05-28-2015
Holy crap that is beautiful!!!!! Congrats Brain
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:52 AM 05-28-2015
Originally Posted by bdgile:
I bought the humidor! A couple days of seasoning and we're ready to go!
That is a really nice humidor, but I would caution you -- "A couple of days of seasoning" is probably not enough for that much wood. You would be much better off doing a full seasoning of at least a week or more.

After a proper seasoning your empty humidor should hold a steady RH well above (or below) the ambient RH for at least 24, preferably 48 hours.

Just my :-)
[Reply]
nutcracker 11:32 AM 05-28-2015
:-)Agree with Michael - otherwise the cigars will be losing/ gaining absolute moisture in response to changes in RH. Let the wood do that and the cigars not act as fluid reservoirs
[Reply]
bdgile 11:38 AM 05-28-2015
You guys are absolutely correct and I agree 100%. I actually bought this from a guy that was currently using it so it was pretty well seasoned. To be on the safe side, I scrubbed it down and let it season for a couple days. It was holding just fine before, but I knew that if I didn't do it myself I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it.

Then again... Here I am, sitting at work, not able to stop thinking about it!
[Reply]
yourchoice 11:53 AM 05-28-2015
Congrats on the purchase, Brian! Best of luck with it! Beautiful piece!
[Reply]
irratebass 06:56 AM 05-29-2015
Yeah a good full week of seasoning will let ya know.......remember patience is the key to a lifelong of smoking happiness.
[Reply]
Up