Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Help me!!!! Please
MagicDrop 02:27 PM 03-29-2015
Ok so here is my problem. My humi had an analog hygrometer and the readings were WAY off. I would look at it in passing and it was always in the 65-75% but I never opened it because I wasn't going to smoke. About 4 days ago I looked at it before going to bed and it read 72% woke up about 5 hours later and it read 59% when I opened it up it was as dry as can be. Ran to the B&M cigar lounge by me and they wiped it down told me keep my cigars out for about 24 hours then restock it. Also bought a digital while I was there.
Today it has been steadily dropping from 80% now down to 60%. Is this because the Cigars are pulling humidity from the air? Will it eventually even back out?
I have the jell beads with PG/Distilled water as my humidification. I know it's not the best but it's a small desk top glass top(I know those are harder then solid wood)!
Any advise would really help here!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:42 PM 03-29-2015
First of all I would put your sticks in a tupperware or even a plastic ziplock bag (drop in a boveda pack or something while they are in there). I would salt test and calibrate your new hygrometer and before doing a good job seasoning your desktop box I would check all the seals and check the seal around the glass top, maybe get some food grade silicone and caulk around the inside seam where the glass meets the wood.

The next thing I would do is actual season your box (phrasing..), put some distilled water in a shot glass, place it in the humi and let it sit for a few days, you can always use a new clean sponge that you have dampened with distilled water by putting that on a small plate inside your humi, close it up and let it sit, check the sponge in 3 days or so, by then your should have your hygrometer all set and you can place that in your box to check the humidity, you don't want to rush seasoning and from what I have read / heard and learned you don't really want to wipe the inside of the box down with water as it can cause swelling and slight warping that may make it tough to get a good seal.

:-)
[Reply]
shilala 02:53 PM 03-29-2015
Glass top humidors are the devil. They leak like a sieve.
There's a "fix my glass top humidor" thread here somewhere. They can be fixed, it's a pain, but you can do it.
Were it me, I'd go with the tupperware Adam mentioned, then move to a cooler or winador when you get to that stage.
Get ahold of Michael (Cigarnut) and get some beads. It won't take much to keep up your tupperdor.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 03:00 PM 03-29-2015
Ok thank you guys! In 2 weeks I will be away for 2 weeks so I don't want to order anything right now as I won't be here to get them and don't want it sitting there
[Reply]
heyferg 04:08 PM 03-29-2015
Originally Posted by shilala:
Glass top humidors are the devil. They leak like a sieve.
There's a "fix my glass top humidor" thread here somewhere. They can be fixed, it's a pain, but you can do it.
Were it me, I'd go with the tupperware Adam mentioned, then move to a cooler or winador when you get to that stage.
Get ahold of Michael (Cigarnut) and get some beads. It won't take much to keep up your tupperdor.
My experience, exactly. A buddy of mine gave me a glass top humidor as a gift. It leaked like there was no tomorrow - never was happy with the seal on that thing. I was lucky that I had other humidors, so I never ruined any of my sticks.

I had good luck making a "coolidor" with the instructions on this board. But, as with everything else in life, your mileage may vary.
[Reply]
joatmon 04:18 PM 03-29-2015
This is the thread that helped me and lead to me joining the forum. I learned the hard way that glass top humidors are indeed the devil. But thanks to shilala's guide I've got a humidor that actually holds humidity.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52938
[Reply]
Up