Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Custom Cabinet Humidor Project
burayild 03:50 PM 02-24-2015
Hello Everyone,

First of all this is my first post in the forums and wanted to say hi to all of you.

I've been a cigar user and collector for years now and I think its time to step up the game. I have decided to work with a local carpenter in creating my custom made humidor cabinet.

I've been searching for a while now and have found a few humidification units. I'm specifically interested in the ones listed below. http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/electronic.htm

I have had a hard time finding a cooling unit for the humidor. Thermoelectric behind cabinet cooling unit would a great choice and I've been browsing many sites and finally came along the following.
http://seifertsystems.com/

I would love all of your opinions and suggestions.

This will a long project and I want it come out right.

Thank you :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:16 PM 02-24-2015
I have a Set and Forget two resevoir unit from Artistocrat and love it.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 05:42 PM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I have a Set and Forget two resevoir unit from Artistocrat and love it.
Same, no cooling just humidification, are you in a place you are going to need the cooling aspect?
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 05:52 PM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Same, no cooling just humidification, are you in a place you are going to need the cooling aspect?
I was about to ask the same. Active cooling complicates your design because as air cools, its relative humidity will rise. You also want an active humidifier. So, you have 2 ways to raise RH and none to lower it. So, if you live in a very dry climate, that might be good. But, in general, it might be overdoing it.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:00 PM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
I was about to ask the same. Active cooling complicates your design because as air cools, its relative humidity will rise. You also want an active humidifier. So, you have 2 ways to raise RH and none to lower it. So, if you live in a very dry climate, that might be good. But, in general, it might be overdoing it.
Agreed. :-)
[Reply]
burayild 06:01 AM 02-26-2015
Thanks for the replies. The active cooling part of the project is still up in air. I live in a Mediterranean climate where we do get all 4 seasons thus I might be overdoing it with the cooling part of the project.
I'm still undecided about that but with your guidance it seems like I maybe straying away from the cooling aspect of the unit as it may complicate things.

I've been researching the humidification part of the project and came across Cigar Oasis Magna. It's a WIFI controlled unit and can accommodate humidity 10 to 30 cubit feet. It provides humidification via humidifcation beads. It also comes with two small computer fan like fans where you place for air flow. I do like the aristocrat humidifiers.

What would say about the Magna oasis? Also about the usage of fans in the humidors?
[Reply]
Sadden 09:25 AM 02-26-2015
I tried the polymer beads in my set and forget. The problem is that while they are still expanding theres no surface area to have water pulled up into the fan.

The wick setup is far superior IMO.

I would take the S&F over any gimmicky wifi setup all day long.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:28 AM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by burayild:
Thanks for the replies. The active cooling part of the project is still up in air. I live in a Mediterranean climate where we do get all 4 seasons thus I might be overdoing it with the cooling part of the project.
I'm still undecided about that but with your guidance it seems like I maybe straying away from the cooling aspect of the unit as it may complicate things.

I've been researching the humidification part of the project and came across Cigar Oasis Magna. It's a WIFI controlled unit and can accommodate humidity 10 to 30 cubit feet. It provides humidification via humidifcation beads. It also comes with two small computer fan like fans where you place for air flow. I do like the aristocrat humidifiers.

What would say about the Magna oasis? Also about the usage of fans in the humidors?
All humidification devices require some sort of airflow to be effective -- the moisture needs a way to get distributed. I think fans are a great solution if your humidor is very full, which can limit or inhibit natural airflow.
[Reply]
markem 10:42 AM 02-26-2015
It would be helpful to have a more precise idea of where you live, so that temperature extremes, duration, and year-round RH can be considered. For example, being on the Amalfi Coast is Mediterranean, but different from, say Cannes.
[Reply]
burayild 01:06 AM 02-28-2015
I live in Istanbul. Temperate climate. Semi humid throughout the year. Temperatures during summer months can go up to 100. Not sure too much about the quantitive humidity values. I've decided to stay away from adding climate control unit to the cabinet. Would love to hear more of your humidifcation recommendations.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:13 PM 02-28-2015
Is where you live air conditioned? Also do you freeze your sticks was just thinking the hot humid weather isn't that big of a deal, look at Cuba, but if it's going to be that warm in the cabinet you might want to get into the practice of freezing your sticks to try and kill any critters / their eggs. There are some good threads on that here too.
[Reply]
burayild 03:13 PM 03-02-2015
i don't think it get that warm here in Istanbul. Thinking about it I think i'm going to sway away from a cooling mechanism as it complicates the project greatly. i'm still looking into the best solution for a humidification device. any opinions in regard to that?
thanks everyone for all your help again...
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 05:33 PM 03-02-2015
Sound good I didn't know the average temp there. I have an Aristocrat with the set and forget humidification system and love it. I have the M-Plus Deep model with two large water reserves, it also uses the wick system.
[Reply]
Up