Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Cain Daytona lancero
Don Fernando 12:45 PM 09-07-2011
Cain Daytona Lancero, yes, you read it well, lancer. Now before you start to google to order them: these are not for sale, heck, they are not even in production and it is still undecided if they will, although I can’t imagine Studio Tobac deciding not to start producing these. Even though the Cain Daytona lancero is not in production it won the ‘Nicaraguan cigar of the year’ award from the European Cigar Cult Journal at the IPCPR last week.

This 7x38 lancero has a deep brown and oily wrapper with a few pretty veins. The construction feels a bit soft but the predraw is great. I taste tobacco with raisin and I smell a strong barnyard smell.

I taste spicy coffee and an earthy flavour and the flavours are mild bitter. After a quarter of an inch I taste herbal wood with a little earthiness. The coffee and the bitterness have gone. After three quarters of an inch I taste wood with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. The flavours are subtle and smooth. After an inch I taste wood, autumn leaves and some spiciness in the aftertaste.

After a third I taste a beautiful mix of mild sweet spices with wood and autumn leaves. I taste a mild spicy earth flavour in the aftertaste. After two thirds I taste wood with spices and a little bit of pepper. After three quarters I taste a nice flavour that I can’t name with some spices that for some reason remind me of the autumn.

This cigar lasted me an hour and forty minutes. I got a lot of smoke, which is thick too. The draw is great, the pepper and salt coloured ash is firm. The burn is straight as an arrow. This cigar is full flavoured and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? I will, if they go into regular production.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8/ 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 9 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
Remo 12:48 PM 09-07-2011
That looks tasty, and a great review...hopefully they go into production. Thanks
[Reply]
WittyUserName 12:54 PM 09-07-2011
Yummy
[Reply]
RevSmoke 01:01 PM 09-07-2011
Raisin, that's it. You know, there has been a tantalizing taste in the Daytonas I've had, and now that you put the word out there, that's what it is. I never thought of it with a cigar, with pipe tobacco with Perique, yes, but never with a cigar.

Now I need to go get another 543 and give it a shot and see if it isn't raisin.

Thanks.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 01:02 PM 09-07-2011
I'm a sucker for a good lancero, and enjoy the daytona blend, hope to see these go into production!
[Reply]
irratebass 01:09 PM 09-07-2011
:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:55 PM 09-07-2011
Thanks for the review!!!:-)

I'll have to try the lancero!!!
:-)
[Reply]
longknocker 02:57 PM 09-07-2011
Excellent Review, Ferdie!:-) I Love Lanceros & Daytonas!:-)
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 03:54 PM 11-10-2011
Great review, I picked up one of these from a box pass on another board and have yet to smoke it. Probably going to do it this weekend.
[Reply]
Up