Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 23 of 54
« First < 13212223 242533 > Last »
Discussion>New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart
Mister Moo 01:34 PM 05-27-2010
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz:
...There is a seam in the area of the blockage and I noticed that one side is black and the other side is very dark gray... Ken
New thought. The maker fused two vulcanite (or lucite) sections together for the long stem; it finished with a visible join on the outside and has a major burr inside.

Same conclusion.
[Reply]
Zoomschwortz 02:20 PM 05-27-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Ken, Pipes and Cigars is good peeps. Give them a call and see if they have advice for you. They may not without seeing the pipe. I would guess that they'd either have you send it back or bring it in.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
OH NO! I believe that I gave the wrong impression.

I didn't buy this from Pipes and Cigars, but I sure wish I would have, because their price for this pipe was much better than what I paid.

I bought this pipe from a local B&M and it just happened that the only picture I could find online, was theirs.

After seeing Pipes and Cigars prices, I will be checking in with them before I buy another pipe.

I'm sorry about the confusion. It was all my fault.

Thanks for the help.
Ken
[Reply]
RevSmoke 04:07 PM 05-27-2010
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz:
OH NO! I believe that I gave the wrong impression.

I didn't buy this from Pipes and Cigars, but I sure wish I would have, because their price for this pipe was much better than what I paid.

I bought this pipe from a local B&M and it just happened that the only picture I could find online, was theirs.

After seeing Pipes and Cigars prices, I will be checking in with them before I buy another pipe.

I'm sorry about the confusion. It was all my fault.

Thanks for the help.
Ken
OK, even better. If it is a local B&M, get over there and give the pipe to them, they should be able to figure it out and stand by their product.
[Reply]
Cornbread556 09:07 PM 06-28-2010
All right guys I've been looking in all the wrong places for an answer. What do I use to polish my briar. I'm guessing that old english might not be a good idea. Two of my pipes have what I thought may be charing around the rim. But I can scrape it off with my thumb kind off sticky. What do I use to clean this area?
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 10:08 PM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by Cornbread556:
All right guys I've been looking in all the wrong places for an answer. What do I use to polish my briar. I'm guessing that old english might not be a good idea. Two of my pipes have what I thought may be charing around the rim. But I can scrape it off with my thumb kind off sticky. What do I use to clean this area?
If Mr. Moo wakes-up, I'm sure he'll have a spot on answer to your question Robert:-)

[Reply]
spectrrr 10:40 PM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
If Mr. Moo wakes-up, I'm sure he'll have a spot on answer to your question Robert:-)
:-)
[Reply]
Cornbread556 06:03 AM 06-29-2010
No big hurry. Just want to take care of my pipes since I'm starting to get a handfull of real nice ones. That and I try to take care of what I got.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 06:30 AM 06-29-2010
Sorry - low bandwidth at the Friedman Field Research Station in Edmunds, Maine. Fascinating place if you like moose, mussels, clams, geology or wildflowers. :-) Very slow to get things done outside of batches.

Human nose oil is excellent; carnauba wax needs a little friction/heat to apply - experience needed so don't try it on a pipe you love fist time out; Halcyon and Halcyon II can be finger-applied and hand buffed to a nice luster; and one drop of olive oil and a soft cotton rag do fine on briar and stems.
[Reply]
Cornbread556 07:17 AM 06-29-2010
Thanks for the reply. I bet it feels better in Maine than it does in La.
[Reply]
Neuromancer 07:15 PM 06-29-2010
As far as the charring around the rim, use a little saliva to wet it down and wipe it off with something...there is a spray can called Arango Briar Pipe Wipe you can buy...you get some handi-wipes and saturate them with the Briar Pipe Wipe then let the handi-wipe dry and you have a polishing cloth that works great...
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 07:42 PM 06-29-2010
Thanks for the reply. I bet it feels better in Maine than it does in La.
Robert, you may want to peruse the following thread I created a while back, asking for suggestions on cleaning a newly found pipe:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24452

It has some constructive criticism by some of our Inmates here...:-)
[Reply]
Cornbread556 11:08 PM 06-29-2010
Thanks again you guys are full of win
[Reply]
Mister Moo 06:31 AM 06-30-2010
Thanks again you guys are full of win
Full of wind? Moi?
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:00 AM 06-30-2010
Thanks again you guys are full of wind
Yeah, I think thats what he ment Dan:-)

[Reply]
Mister Moo 08:27 PM 06-30-2010
Yeah, I think thats what he ment Dan:-)
Can't be sure who he was talking about...
[Reply]
Samsquanch 02:21 PM 07-14-2010
Where do you store your pipe tobacco? I've recently been on the hurtin' end of a NST pipe tobacco trade and have 16 baggies with tobacco in them. It'll take me a while to smoke all of this, even while sharing with friends. I'm thinking of buying a one of those airtight containers used to store flour in. Should I keep a humidification device in the jar? At what humidity? Thanks!
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 05:01 PM 07-14-2010
Originally Posted by Samsquanch:
Where do you store your pipe tobacco? I've recently been on the hurtin' end of a NST pipe tobacco trade and have 16 baggies with tobacco in them...

Hello Andrew,

I saw the damage that Marc sent you. I'm sure you'll find something decent to smoke in that mess:-) Regarding your storage question, you may want to try a small cooler with some sort of humidification device (beads, etc.) inside to store the baggies. You can also use this cooler for future purchases too.

If there's a tobaccy that you're gonna smoke on a regular basis, and you're gonna buy 5 or more oz to keep on hand, you may want to look into mason jars or something like this:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/libbey-70996-22-oz-storage-jar-with-lid-12-cs/55170996.html

You can usually find the Libby storage type jars at Goodwill shop, 99 cent stores, etc. for around, well, 99 cents to $4.00 each. Wash them out and they are as good as new.

Hope this helps you out...

So where is that old fart anyways?:-):-)
[Reply]
Cornbread556 05:17 PM 07-14-2010
So where is that old fart anyways?:-):-)[/color]
Last I checked he was full of wind
[Reply]
BigFrank 06:11 PM 07-14-2010
Originally Posted by Samsquanch:
Where do you store your pipe tobacco? I've recently been on the hurtin' end of a NST pipe tobacco trade and have 16 baggies with tobacco in them. It'll take me a while to smoke all of this, even while sharing with friends. I'm thinking of buying a one of those airtight containers used to store flour in. Should I keep a humidification device in the jar? At what humidity? Thanks!
I pick them up by the case for under 10 bucks. New. Ball Mason Jars.
[Reply]
Samsquanch 06:31 PM 07-15-2010
What humidity do you keep the tobacco at? Should I use beads or just a sponge? Thanks.
[Reply]
Page 23 of 54
« First < 13212223 242533 > Last »
Up