Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>AVO Classic #3
Whee 08:33 PM 01-17-2009
It's time for another episode of Illinoishoosier's Review Corner. I know you are all waiting with baited breath, so let's get to it.

Tonights victim is an AVO #3.
7.5x50
Wrapper: Connecticut
Filler: Dominican

This is a beautiful stick. Nice tan color with a velvety wrapper. The wrapper has some bumps and small veins, but does not affect it's appearence.

The pre-light aroma has a nice grassy tobacco smell and the flavor is almost tea like. After clipping, the draw is loose. The first few draws after lighting is a nice light leather.

My obligatory 5 minute pic, complete with photoshop opportunity...

Lots of creamy smoke, which I love. Still has a good tobacco/leather flavor. the ash is dark gray and the burn is a little uneven at this point.

20 minutes in...
Burn still a little off. The flavor is very subtle...leather with a little pepper underneath. every now and then and get that nice grassy/hay flavor, not a bad thing. Ash dropped at about 15 minuutes. It was a little loose. Draw is near perfect.

At 40 minutes, a nice light spice flavor has come through. It's not overpowering, but enough to keep the stick enjoyable. Burn has evened out and it is still putting out a nice amount of creamy, white smoke. A few minutes later, a little bit of cedar taste has made an appearence.

60 minutes...
The flavor has started to go "off" a bit at this point. the ash has started to flake. Any purge or movement I make, inevitably shakes loose a little ash. I just can't put this down.

80 minutes and counting...

The harshness has faded. Has an almost coffe-like flavor coming through now.

Here it dies at 99 minutes...
Harshness had returned and it just didn't taste good anymore.

I am a big fan of this stick. Nice mild smoke with subtle flavors that never overpower and, if you have read my reviews in the past, know that I like a good foggy stick and this one always delivers.

This particular stick, though, gets a downgrade for early onset harshness.

It gets 3 out of 5 illinoishoosiers...
[Reply]
Up