Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Where do you put the beads in your Vinotemp?
RRocket 04:41 PM 07-17-2009
I have a small Vinotemp...12 bottles. I wanted the big one, but I knew I would be compelled to fill it up..so I stayed with the smaller one (my wallet will thank me later). :-) http://www.vinotemp.com/View.aspx/29...lar-%28iCellar

The size is about 2.5 cu. feet, so I think one pound of beads will be more than enough. I think I could cut it with a half pound...or do you agree 1 pound is best?

At any rate...where does everyone put their beads? Do you have them in a dish on the bottom? Do you have a few OZ. on ever shelf/drawer?

I'm just wondering how everyone does it....

Thanks!!!
[Reply]
bonjing 04:48 PM 07-17-2009
I have a small 12 bottle also and I use 1lb separated into 1/2 lb bags. I placed one on top and one at the bottom. you're best bet is to measure the inside and go to heartfelt website and they'll tell you how much that you'll need. In my opinion the more the better.

here is the website:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp
[Reply]
RRocket 04:59 PM 07-17-2009
^^Can you be a bit more clear? Where exactly do the beds reside? On the bottom: Are they on the floor? Or in a drawer with your sticks? Same idea up top...where do they sit exactly?
[Reply]
bobarian 05:00 PM 07-17-2009
With a pound of beads and that small of a cooler you could probably put the beads on the outside and they would regulate just fine. :-) I use one pound in each of my 28btl coolers. With a small cooler it probably wont make a big difference where you put the beads.
[Reply]
Darrell 05:00 PM 07-17-2009
I have mine sitting in the corner on the top shelf and on the bottom on top of a box both in bags. I have the 28 bottle though.
[Reply]
markem 05:02 PM 07-17-2009
I split my beads in half. The easiest container, IMO, are clear pantyhose. I put one bundle on the floor of the vinotemp (I only use a shelf at the very bottom) and one about half-way up in the middle.

My humidity is quite stable with that configuration.
[Reply]
bonjing 05:12 PM 07-17-2009
Originally Posted by RRocket:
^^Can you be a bit more clear? Where exactly do the beds reside? On the bottom: Are they on the floor? Or in a drawer with your sticks? Same idea up top...where do they sit exactly?

Well the one i placed at the bottom sits on top of a plastic tupperware so more surface area is exposed. The one placed on top just sits on a plastic sandwich bag on top of a box. reason for the plastic bag is that i have heard that the beads can absorb some of the oils, or something like that, discoloring the beads. I have no bead inside any of the boxes. Best thing i learned here about humidity is, just be patient.

edit to add:

I do have two mini fans sitting inside the cooler to help circulate air inside. But i think it's a little overkill for that small of a cooler.
[Reply]
kydsid 05:42 PM 07-17-2009
I put the beads wherever the cigars aren't. :-)
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 09:08 PM 07-17-2009
I have a 28 bottle and have a little less than half a pound on the bottom and I put a few in an old round humidifier on the top shelf
[Reply]
Prospector 09:12 PM 07-17-2009
In two mesh bags sitting on the bottom.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:21 PM 07-17-2009
Originally Posted by bonjing:
I do have two mini fans sitting inside the cooler to help circulate air inside. But i think it's a little overkill for that small of a cooler.
Probably but you're the master of your humidor so if you don't mind the space they and the beads take up, then go right ahead. Most guys use fans for the 28-bottle.

I have the 28 but I don't use fans. I have about a pound and a half of shilala's beads split in 3 mesh bags. I have one cedar drawer and 3 cedar shelves. One bag is in the drawer at the top and the other two lie on the middle and bottom shelves, behind cigar boxes. Right out in the open.
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 08:11 AM 07-18-2009
I have a 28 bottle vino with one pound of beads. I went out and bought one of those plastic hooks with the double sided tape and placed that next the fan on the back of the vino.
[Reply]
postjack 08:16 AM 07-18-2009
well shoot, I have the 28 bottle Edgestar incoming and only ordered a half pound of beads. looks like I should have ordered at least a pound. :-)
[Reply]
eber 10:38 AM 07-18-2009
i have just about a pound and a half in my 28 bottle I have them spread between the bottom and middle and a small amount on the top shelf and it is rock solid 65% oh btw i have them in shallow tupperware style containers
[Reply]
ucla695 02:43 PM 07-18-2009
I don't have a Vino, but I use nylons to store beads in my cabinet. They're placed on every shelf and drawer.
[Reply]
Up