Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Good Eats>best way to cook a hot dog?
rack04 10:09 AM 01-07-2009
Originally Posted by Mark C:
If it were a sausage, I'd be with you guys on the 'mustard only', but not for a hot dog.
Agreed. No mustard on my dog.
[Reply]
taltos 10:15 AM 01-07-2009
I am surprised that nobody mentioned wrapping a hot dog in bacon and cooking under the broiler.:-)
[Reply]
vicvitola 10:20 AM 01-07-2009
Grilled until they are half to three quarters burnt on the outside.

Mustard, Relish, Onions
[Reply]
mmblz 10:41 AM 01-07-2009
Cooking it at home:
Take a knife and make diagonal slits across the "top" (one side).
Then do the same on the other diagonal, so you have a diamond pattern.
Then cook in a frying pan with butter.

As far as toppings, used to go to Spike's in Providence Rhode Island. Favorite were two variations of the Texas Ranger:
Texas Bandit has cheddar, bbq sauce, jalapenos
Morey Dog has extra bbq sauce, bacon, and extra cheddar

Another thing I would do is order one of the above and a plain hotdog, then add the plain hotdog to the bug alongside the topped one.
[Reply]
MikeyC 10:43 AM 01-07-2009
I like mine steamed. It reminds me of being at Fenway Park. Usually, I'll throw on chopped onions and relish. :-)

Sometimes though, I do enjoy a good chili-cheese dog. :-)
[Reply]
SilverFox 10:48 AM 01-07-2009
I like mine over an open fire, wood fire.

Then topped with fried onion, jalapenos, and hot mustard.

An Ice Cold Bass, or Cremore Springs Lager.

Ok now I am hungry
[Reply]
doctorcue 10:52 AM 01-07-2009
Steamed preferably. If not, on the grill. Then... just ketchup & mustard. Otherwise you can't actually taste the dog.
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 11:11 AM 01-07-2009
Anyone who puts ketchup or catsup on a hotdog should be banned from masticating for life...:-)
[Reply]
GKitty 11:15 AM 01-07-2009
Now I'm on a quest to find a decent hot dog for lunch.
[Reply]
AD720 11:19 AM 01-07-2009
The "Texas Tommy" is pretty popular around here. That would be a jumbo all beef dog topped with bacon and chedder.

There is also an excellent sandwich shop our neighborhood that does a variation on a chili-dog. It is a hot dog wrapped in pancetta, grilled and covered bolognese on a hard roll.

Man I am getting hungry.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 11:27 AM 01-07-2009
I have always wanted to try the deep fried dogs, a la Rutts Hut in NJ after seeing a couple pieces on them. Grilled usually for me, chili, cheese, raw onions, fried onions, almost anything goes as far as toppings for me. Most importantly..... you have to start with good protien, or the rest is just lip service.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=1362
[Reply]
BarneyBandMan 12:03 PM 01-07-2009
"Nobody.....I mean NOBODY puts ketchup on a hotdog....Harry Callahan"

Having quoted that, I like them 2 ways---mustard, ketchup, and slaw (the good homemade stuff, not that Ruth's crap)---and--mustard, chili, onions, and slaw. I'll do relish if there's no slaw. Kinda like a Carolina Burger, but its a Carolina Dog

Too much of any ingredient overpowers the dog for me.

Two favorites--Carolina Packers red dogs (ya gotta be raised on it) and Nathans

And always grilled to 1/2 burnt--steamed bun---cold beer:-) :-)
[Reply]
icurrie 12:15 PM 01-07-2009
Originally Posted by taltos:
I am surprised that nobody mentioned wrapping a hot dog in bacon and cooking under the broiler.:-)
I know, I used to have a camping tool that "clamped" 4 dogs for cooking on a camp fire. We used to wrap them in bacon first and then cook them over the fire. First time we tried it, three of us must have had over a dozen hot dogs. They were addicting.
Man I am hungry.
[Reply]
ashmaster 12:19 PM 01-07-2009
There's a place here that sells "belly buster" dogs, at least 1/4 lb each. Grill those bad boys until they start to split, be sure the skin is charred. Hook these up on some soft toasted hogie style rolls. Top the dog with mustard, little relish, raw onions, sauerkraut, chili, and finally top it with cheese. Yea, baby!!!
[Reply]
taltos 12:44 PM 01-07-2009
Up here in New England there is a company that makes what is called a Pearl Country Club Frank. It is an all beef frank, kosher and has that wonderful snap that is hard to find anymore. Once a year Eddie Andelman, one of the local sports mavens does a promotion to raise funds for cystic fybrosis and calls it the Hot Dog Safari. For about a month before the Safari Pearl makes a quarter pound (might have the sound too small) frank that is sold by one of the local chains with all of the profits going to the Joey Fund (CF). This event has turned into a tremendous fund raiser and has gotten so big that it is now held at Suffolk Downs which is a local horse track.
[Reply]
rack04 12:45 PM 01-07-2009
Originally Posted by ashmaster:
There's a place here that sells "belly buster" dogs, at least 1/4 lb each. Grill those bad boys until they start to split, be sure the skin is charred. Hook these up on some soft toasted hogie style rolls. Top the dog with mustard, little relish, raw onions, sauerkraut, chili, and finally top it with cheese. Yea, baby!!!
Don't forget the roll of paper towels for cleaning up while eating and roll of toilet paper for cleaning up after eating. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 12:51 PM 01-07-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Personally, hot dogs are best cooked over an open flame (i.e. on a stick over a fire). I then like to top them with Dennison’s meat chili, grated cheddar cheese and onions.

I’m pretty sure Pink’s in LA steams their dogs and buns, they make the best hot dogs. Bar none.

Great dogs there. There’s usually a long line, but you’ll be ready to devour what you order after being tortured by the delicious aromas while waiting. They're also open late to boot!
[Reply]
chippewastud79 01:09 PM 01-07-2009
My three votes:

Skyline Cheese Coney - Plain (no mustard, no onions) - On the griddle

The Corner Bar Chili Dogs - Just chili and cheese - On the griddle

Pronto Pup - Pup with ketchup - Covered in batter and deep fried

I guess I like them on the flat top and deep fried.

Yummy in the tummy :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 01:14 PM 01-07-2009
I like mine cooked on the grill partially burned. I then put it on a hot dog bun with a ton of ketchup.
[Reply]
j-easy 01:14 PM 01-07-2009
the key to a good hotdog is the hotdog, if you have a good hotdog you could microwave it and it would still taste awesome. i like chicage style even though ive only had it once. (in chicago of course)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Up