Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Good Eats>Cast Iron skillet help
AllOGistics 11:12 AM 03-22-2009
Originally Posted by livwire68:
I would just go with the cheap baking pan underneath, should solve all problems.
:-)
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 04:25 PM 03-22-2009
Originally Posted by livwire68:
I would just go with the cheap baking pan underneath, should solve all problems.

Thats what I was thinkin about doin. I think I have some lying around...
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 05:54 PM 03-22-2009
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchan...d=13016&step=4

I just bought one of those. Hopefully it does what I want it to do
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:41 PM 03-22-2009
I use mine on a glass top stove all the time. I am careful not to move them around too much and have had no problems.

My two cents... I would NEVER put soap in my iron skillets. If anything gets stuck (which is rare on a well seasoned iron skillet) I just scrape it off with an plastic scraper.

If I cook something with a lot of moisture I will put a little veggie oil in the pan after I have wiped it out. That is about all the upkeep they need.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 06:46 PM 03-22-2009
I'm an appliance engineer and used to work for a company that made glass cooktops. We recommended not using normal steel cookware because it might scratch the surface. But, our home economist tested for scratching with cast iron and could not confirm any scratching. I used Lodge frypans for several years on my glass top without problems. I was careful not to slide it around. Bob
[Reply]
livwire68 07:14 PM 03-22-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchan...d=13016&step=4

I just bought one of those. Hopefully it does what I want it to do
This is just a trivet for the countertop, so that hot pans do not melt into most counter tops. I would also use something like this so it does not scratch a granite countertop.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 07:32 PM 03-22-2009
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
I'm an appliance engineer and used to work for a company that made glass cooktops. We recommended not using normal steel cookware because it might scratch the surface. But, our home economist tested for scratching with cast iron and could not confirm any scratching. I used Lodge frypans for several years on my glass top without problems. I was careful not to slide it around. Bob
Roughly how hot do range tops get?
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:51 PM 03-22-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
Roughly how hot do range tops get?
It depends a lot on how high you turn it up and the load. For example, if you are boiling water, the inside of your pot is limited to 212F but oil would get much hotter. Rather than try to put an exact number on it, one major manufacturer of the glass used rates it as withstanding thermal shocks up to about 1300F. For more info about use, care, etc., try this link:

http://www.us.schott.com/hometech/en...ran/index.html

Bob
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 07:58 PM 03-22-2009
Im not sure if this helps but we have a GE Spectra range. That Schott web site is good. I guess the silicone wont stand up to the temps? The one I bought is rated up to 625 Fahrenheit. It looks like I'll be doin the baking sheet idea for now
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 10:58 PM 03-23-2009
Well I cooked for the first time with the cast iron. The bacon went well but the eggs were a little more difficult. I broke 3 eggs :-)
[Reply]
Gone Dave 05:17 AM 03-24-2009
Originally Posted by cigarusmaximus:
Meh! Don't believe the hype. I've been using my 2 cast iron skillets on a glass top for 3 years now. No issues at all.

What's this about hot spots???
:-):-) 3 skillets, all glass..:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up