Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Good Eats>BBQ... The real thing
mosesbotbol 10:19 AM 03-03-2009
Apple and is my favorite smoking wood and white ash is my favorite "heat source" cooking wood.
[Reply]
white_s2k 11:07 AM 03-03-2009
I usually use a mix of apple and hickory when I smoke ribs and brisket. I have also been playing around with some cherry wood that I picked up a few months ago when I do beer can chicken. Not bad at all. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 11:16 AM 03-03-2009
My favorite woods vary depending on the meat. I prefer:

mesquite for beef
cherry for pork
apple and pecan for poultry

If I am cooking a mix of meats then I usually go with hickory.
[Reply]
cle_smoker 12:12 PM 03-03-2009
I don't really care for Mesquite on much of anything. Apple, hickory, and, when I can find it, cherry are my choice. Apple with pork shoulders and hickory with briskets. Ribs can take just about anything in my opinion and come out good.

cle_smoker
[Reply]
Pitmaster 03:57 PM 03-14-2009
apple works for everything, hickory is always good, cherry for pork, and sometimes I use sugar maple and sasparilla for special events.
Mike
[Reply]
LooseCard 07:08 PM 03-15-2009
Y'all don't play fair.....

Food pr-0n is just wrong........

WSM user here too.
Not much for taking pictures before it is devoured, but that is already expected to change this year. (Seasonal Camper-site!)

Apple and cherry are great with pork. I tend to do a heavy smoke, with Hickory and one of the others. I'll typically to a pair of Butts for Pulled Pork, and possibly a loin.

Haven't gotten into Brisket yet, but I'm looking to try this summer.
Chicken... no big deal, and I've done Gobbler several times.
[Reply]
jquirit 08:28 PM 03-15-2009
@LooseCard: You using the original WSM or the newer version that I've heard about? I've been wanting to get a WSM since I'm "cheap".. well, I can't justify the price of a Trager. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
LooseCard 08:43 PM 03-15-2009
Older style - bought it at the beginning of 2008. But I've been using a Charbroil Water smoker for years.

Love the idea of Traeger, but can't swing the $$$ either. Besides, it's too set-n-forget for me.

If I was to buy one today, I'd go with the 22 incher.
Once you get started, you'll never have enough space to fit everything in.

I can also refer you to a site for WSM owners (and others) who have supplied a lot of great ideas....!
[Reply]
Darrell 08:46 PM 03-15-2009
WSM user as well. I love it.
[Reply]
Geppetto 01:26 PM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by LooseCard:
Older style - bought it at the beginning of 2008. But I've been using a Charbroil Water smoker for years.

Love the idea of Traeger, but can't swing the $$$ either. Besides, it's too set-n-forget for me.

If I was to buy one today, I'd go with the 22 incher.
Once you get started, you'll never have enough space to fit everything in.

I can also refer you to a site for WSM owners (and others) who have supplied a lot of great ideas....!
Well, what is the website?
[Reply]
jquirit 01:33 PM 03-16-2009
Probably http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

I frequent that place a lot. They're the ones that turned me onto the Rancher briquettes that Home Depot use to sell. I'm down to my last 75 lbs of it. Swear the guy at HD was giving me an odd look when I walked outta there with 150lbs of it!

I dunno what I will do when I run outta the Rancher's, though.
[Reply]
Cigary 05:49 PM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
I have lived here in and around Atlanta my whole life and there is nothing but sweet Georgia Peaches, all the ho's are transplants.

As far as bbq I am a fan of almost all styles myself. The best, imho, coming out of Eastern NC, KC, and Memphis. Recently though in Atlanta (actually Marietta) a new bbq resturant called Sam and Dave's opened that really is some of the finest pulled pork I have ever eaten.
Wow,,,I live in Atlanta ( suburb more like ) and am used to great KC BBQ as I lived there and about 10 other cities in the country. I have eatin BBQ in this city and so far not one even competes with what real BBQ is. Sonnys sucks,,Smokey Bones is not bad,,,and all the others are horrible here. I have not tried Sam and Daves and that gives me hope,,,what is the best thing on the menu in your opinion? I would give my left testicle for some great BBQ in this town,,,the testicle will be given to a donor on my demise just to clarify the deal.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:54 PM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by volfan:
+1 but Rendezvous is just a couple of blocks away too. :-)

With that said and since I travel for work all the time I can honestly say, the brisket I have had in texas has been the best brisket, the pulled pork I have had in SC has been the best pulled pork and the ribs in Memphis have been the best ribs. If and when I get to KC, I may change my opinion.
Scotty... you get down this way and I will hook you up with all of them. They won't suck!!!
[Reply]
awsmith4 06:03 PM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by Cigary:
Wow,,,I live in Atlanta ( suburb more like ) and am used to great KC BBQ as I lived there and about 10 other cities in the country. I have eatin BBQ in this city and so far not one even competes with what real BBQ is. Sonnys sucks,,Smokey Bones is not bad,,,and all the others are horrible here. I have not tried Sam and Daves and that gives me hope,,,what is the best thing on the menu in your opinion? I would give my left testicle for some great BBQ in this town,,,the testicle will be given to a donor on my demise just to clarify the deal.
:-)

Their pulled pork is great, some of the best I've had

Sam and Dave's 2 is on Whitlock Ave. (GA 120) just about a mile or two west of the Marietta Square. Coming in from Dallas you would just head east on 120 then after you cross over the East/West Connector and drive another few miles its in a shopping center on your left. There is a Waffle House in the parking lot.
[Reply]
Whipper Snapper 06:38 PM 03-16-2009
All of this debate and love toward bbq just makes my heart warm.
[Reply]
Drat 10:55 AM 03-17-2009
The best bbq comes from my backyard. When I had the room in CA, I had 3 smokers, 2 charcoal bbqs and 1 propane grill. Space in NY has limited me to 1 smoker, 1 charcoal bbq, and 1 propane grill. I used them all winter long and even had the fire department show up at 3am one day when I was smoking a brisket. I was awoken by light from flashlights hitting my back door. They were in the yard behind me on a ladder looking for the smoke. 20 hours at 195 degrees and over 15# of apple wood, it was one of my best briskets ever.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 11:03 AM 03-17-2009
I love all kinds, but for me the basics are:

1. BBQ means pork
2. BBQ means vinegar-based sauce
3. BBQ is not a Verb, it is a Noun!

Now I am VERY hungry. :-)
[Reply]
jaycarla 01:18 PM 03-17-2009
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
I love all kinds, but for me the basics are:

1. BBQ means pork
2. BBQ means vinegar-based sauce
3. BBQ is not a Verb, it is a Noun!

Now I am VERY hungry. :-)

Gates in KC is good, I like the brisket at Arthur Bryants, but not a fan of the piggy there.

Fort Worth, the Smoke Pit, very good.
http://www.smokepitcatering.com/

Looking forward to the first spring herf, I am planning on doing:

2 pork butts for pulled pork
1 beef brisket
4 slabs of ribs
1 roll of bologna stuffed with jalepeno, garlic, and butter
[Reply]
LooseCard 01:09 PM 03-18-2009
Originally Posted by Drat:
The best bbq comes from my backyard.
I must concur!! My friends will swear by mine over the stuff we can buy.:-)
I used them all winter long and even had the fire department show up at 3am one day when I was smoking a brisket. I was awoken by light from flashlights hitting my back door. They were in the yard behind me on a ladder looking for the smoke.
Now that's funny! Couldn't they tell the differencr in the smell??? :-)
20 hours at 195 degrees and over 15# of apple wood, it was one of my best briskets ever.
Low and slow is the way to go....:-)
--- but 15 lbs of wood!!! :-) And I thought I liked a heavy smoke!!!
[Reply]
LooseCard 01:12 PM 03-18-2009
Originally Posted by jaycarla:
1 roll of bologna stuffed with jalepeno, garlic, and butter
Details, please.....
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Up