Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Cigar Dinner Recommendations?
SirMoby 07:29 PM 03-03-2009
Hi. I'm new here.

A few friends and I were talking about a cigar dinner. I'm the cook in the bunch, none of us happily married men can smoke in our homes but no restaurant in town offers any thing.

I'm thinking my back porch, deck with my grill and my friend's portable bonfire pit. Eat on the porch, drink and smoke around the bonfire on the deck.

Here are my initial thoughts but I need more recommendations.
Course 1
Crostini, prosciutto, chicken liver, kale, white bean, anchovies ... for toppings

light/medium cigar either Riesling or a light bodied red

Course 2
Spinach salad with my balsamic, honey glazed bacon pecans and blue cheese
Steak (ribeye or strip depending on local sales)
Potato
Red wine - maybe a South America Syrah and have some Montes Alpha right now

medium/strong cigar and scotch

Course 3
Cheese platter with grapes and crackers

Course 4
S'more with dark chocolate (we have a bonfire)

maduro with port wine
Normally I like to cook with a lot herbs and spices but I think most will interfere with the cigars so I'll stay away.

Should I embrace smokey foods like meats, salmon and cheeses or will that compete with the cigars?

Any and all comments, recommendations from cigars to wines to food to plan for courses would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
[Reply]
Parshooter 10:49 AM 03-04-2009
My preferrance is to smoke/drink before dinner, eat, then smoke/drink after the meal. Having a cigar between courses can lengthen the dinner by hours. Sounds like a nice menu you have planned. Should be a great time. :-)
[Reply]
ks92xj 10:52 AM 03-04-2009
What time shall I arrive?:-)
[Reply]
Volt 11:02 AM 03-04-2009
Sorry - I'm can't help.... The guys I tend to run with are the brisket, beans, deviled eggs and bourbon types. Don't know much about courses :-)
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:02 AM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by ks92xj:
What time shall I arrive?:-)

:-) Hope there's room for us!

Sounds really quite perfect! But yeah, it'll be a long one!
[Reply]
ucla695 11:06 AM 03-04-2009
That sounds delicious. :-). What time's dinner? :-)
[Reply]
SirMoby 12:33 PM 03-07-2009
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
My preferrance is to smoke/drink before dinner, eat, then smoke/drink after the meal. Having a cigar between courses can lengthen the dinner by hours. Sounds like a nice menu you have planned. Should be a great time. :-)
The ides is to spend about 5 hours drinking, eating, smoking and haning with good buds :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:12 PM 03-09-2009
As Parshooter noted, smoking before or even with dinner good.

Personally, I would like a coffee with dessert and then "retire" to have port and distilled for the remainder of the evening with a cigar caddy / silver tray or selection of cigars rather than just one. I would also consider serving Madeira instead of Port.
[Reply]
SirMoby 08:39 PM 03-09-2009
I've never poured a glass of Madeira but I use it for cooking. Perhaps I'll have to try :-)
[Reply]
Up