Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 35 of 39
« First < 25333435 3637 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
pegger 11:57 AM 08-21-2014
Thanks Greg and Adam..... I appreciate your recommendations......

Greg
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 08:11 PM 08-21-2014
I have used the boveda but in all honesty I have found that the sponge method works just as well and is cheaper if you're on a budget :-)
[Reply]
pegger 07:18 AM 08-22-2014
Thanks Michael, I did elect to go with the sponge and distilled water in the saucer..... Seems to be working OK.

RH went from 59% when I received the humidifier to 87% on day 2.

Wondering how long you should leave the sponge in? When does the RH rise taper off.....??
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:55 AM 08-22-2014
There is a lot of info here (Search is your friend :-)) including a whole thread on Seasoning: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620.

The bottom line is that cigars require patience. Give your humidor more time to season. At least a week. More is better.
[Reply]
Byaah 04:02 PM 08-22-2014
I have a question about lighting a cigar. I *plan* on getting a torch when I can afford it but the question is not about what I should buy, but how do you do it?

How close to you hold the flame?

Do you draw while lighting?

If you hold the flame close, do you let it make contact?

How long should you light a cigar? What I mean is, you can light it in 2 seconds (and I assume burn the tobacco more than you should?) or do you normally take 20, 30, 40 seconds to do it?

If my cigar goes out (I really try to never let this happen) I will cut just above where the tobacco was burning and start "fresh" and do the whole thing over again, is this the proper way to handle this situation?

Last question will be weird, so I will try and explain it the best I can but if I make no sense, just don't worry about it, maybe my palate is dumb and needs to put in some more time:

Sometimes when I smoke cigars, about 1/2 way through the cigar, it will get a very "green" taste to it. Kind of grassy, almost like it's to young (pure speculation, just trying to describe it). The taste is not very pleasant, I don't know if I smoking the cigar to fast or what?
[Reply]
Remo 04:06 PM 08-22-2014
Hottest part of the flame is above what you can see, basically holding the foot above the flame while rotating the stick "toasting" so the foot is evenly lit, once it is all red I blow on it to make sure it is lit all around before drawing....as for last question, some cigars are just shitty :-)...but it could be a wet cigar, smoking to fast (gets hot) or your palate just may not like it.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:23 PM 08-22-2014
YouTube has a ton of cigar related videos, reviews on accessories and how to cut and light cigars. :-) Happy Hunting!
[Reply]
Remo 05:07 PM 08-23-2014
Go to Walgreens and get a Ronson torch for $5
[Reply]
Ogre 05:14 PM 08-23-2014
Originally Posted by Remo:
:-):-)
[Reply]
Byaah 06:31 PM 08-23-2014
Originally Posted by Remo:

Yup, my roommate just got home and gave me one of them today!
[Reply]
LaugaBoy 11:13 PM 09-09-2014
Alright. So, I'm looking for a humidor and I need some brand suggestions. I want something that I can check the RH without having to open it, but I don't want anything to expensive. I've just gotten into the hobby, and finding a place that sells premium cigars is a challenge itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:28 PM 09-09-2014
I believe by "premium cigars" Apex was talking about a cigar store, not grabbing Black n Milds at the Shell station, although if those float your boat more power to you. Usually a "B and M" (brick and mortar) store.

If you are just starting you can find cheapy humidors online, or you can go the Tupador route, it's as simple as a good Tupperware type container and a boli pack for humidity, till you figure out if you are even really into cigars and you start down the slope. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 11:30 PM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by LaugaBoy:
Alright. So, I'm looking for a humidor and I need some brand suggestions. I want something that I can check the RH without having to open it, but I don't want anything to expensive. I've just gotten into the hobby, and finding a place that sells premium cigars is a challenge itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lots of threads here on just that subject. Search on "humidor" in the thread title and that should get you started. If you want specific recommendations, you need to tell us your budget and what size (capacity) you are looking for. There are other storage alternatives. Take some time to look around and read. Lots of good information here.
[Reply]
JLMraider 10:08 PM 01-24-2015
So I have a mini fridge out in the garage that has ceased working. I've seen many pictures of wine fridges and the like converted to humidors (fridgadors, winadors, etc.) My question is, is it as simple as sticking some cedar, a humidifier and cigars inside and shutting the door? Or do these ___-adors need to be plugged in and running for whatever reason?

-Miller
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 06:45 AM 01-25-2015
Originally Posted by JLMraider:
So I have a mini fridge out in the garage that has ceased working. I've seen many pictures of wine fridges and the like converted to humidors (fridgadors, winadors, etc.) My question is, is it as simple as sticking some cedar, a humidifier and cigars inside and shutting the door? Or do these ___-adors need to be plugged in and running for whatever reason?

-Miller
Welcome to the Asylum!

Most humidors are basically boxes that sit out in the room. Their internal temperature is at the mercy of the room. Some folks like to build humidors into wine fridges to control the temperature. Or, maybe they like the way it looks. You could use a non-working fridge as the basis for a humidor with no temperature control, or use a picnic cooler.

Why control temperature? Probably, most of us don't. Our houses probably are conditioned to stay in a fairly small temperature range. If you suspect your room might get quite warm, then tobacco beetles could be a factor. You can search for info on that elsewhere on the site.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:56 AM 01-25-2015
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
Welcome to the Asylum!

Most humidors are basically boxes that sit out in the room. Their internal temperature is at the mercy of the room. Some folks like to build humidors into wine fridges to control the temperature. Or, maybe they like the way it looks. You could use a non-working fridge as the basis for a humidor with no temperature control, or use a picnic cooler.

Why control temperature? Probably, most of us don't. Our houses probably are conditioned to stay in a fairly small temperature range. If you suspect your room might get quite warm, then tobacco beetles could be a factor. You can search for info on that elsewhere on the site.
This. The room where my wineador sits is the warmest room in our house. Even with the thermostat set to 72* that room will get up to 75-76* during the summer. So I keep the wineador running then just for peace of mind. Then from late fall to late spring I unplug it.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 06:01 PM 08-09-2015
Heartfelt beads and HCM beads is there a difference?
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:32 PM 08-09-2015
Originally Posted by MagicDrop:
Heartfelt beads and HCM beads is there a difference?
There is a difference, but both products work well and while I am biased toward HCM beads, you cannot go wrong with either product.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 07:47 PM 08-09-2015
Thank you. Last time I hung around here everyone told me to get heartfelt now I see HMC in everyone's signature. So I was wondering. I also saw cheaphumidors sells a bead but I went with heartfelt
[Reply]
Amr 12:18 AM 02-21-2016
Hi!

I'm building a humidor. Did some research and as many would recommend will make the interiors of Spanish cidar. My question is: is it OK to build the outer box completely out of mahogany? Thanks in advance!
[Reply]
Page 35 of 39
« First < 25333435 3637 > Last »
Up