Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 31 of 39
« First < 21293031 3233 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Mentallyrechartd 09:08 AM 09-08-2012
Really hope you meant to type naive, and not native...
[Reply]
CigarJut 08:32 AM 09-11-2012
Should I store cigars I got from mail order in my humidor for some amount of time before I smoke them. If so suggestions on how long?
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:36 AM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by CigarJut:
Should I store cigars I got from mail order in my humidor for some amount of time before I smoke them. If so suggestions on how long?
There is no science here. Everybody does something different. I have smoked some ROTT with a good outcome, but most of the time I prefer to let them rest a few weeks. :-)
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 10:09 AM 09-11-2012
No right or wrong way here. To each his own some will tell you store them other will say smoke them. It will always be what works best for you... :-)
[Reply]
RHerrington 10:17 AM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD:
No right or wrong way here. To each his own some will tell you store them other will say smoke them. It will always be what works best for you... :-)
I'd suggest do both, by buying multiples when possible. That way you can smoke that cigar you've been craving for and start the aging process at the same time :-)
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 11:46 AM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by RHerrington:
I'd suggest do both, by buying multiples when possible. That way you can smoke that cigar you've been craving for and start the aging process at the same time :-)
Great suggestion... :-) trying is the only way to find out...
[Reply]
Route 66 08:06 AM 09-26-2012
How do I cool down the inside of my humidor when the ambient temperature in my home is 76 degrees?
[Reply]
WittyUserName 08:10 AM 09-26-2012
I recommend placing it in the coolest darkest place you can find. Basement, bottom of closet, etc..
[Reply]
14holestogie 08:14 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by WittyUserName:
I recommend placing it in the coolest darkest place you can find. Basement, bottom of closet, etc..
Yup, short of active refrigeration (vino), the only way to lower the humidor temperature is to lower the ambient temperature around the humidor. Keep it out of direct sunlight as well as that will actually get in hotter than ambient temperature.

I've been a basement storer for years.
[Reply]
Route 66 08:58 AM 09-26-2012
I don't have a basement, but the bottom of my closet sounds like a good idea. :-)
[Reply]
Route 66 07:19 AM 09-28-2012
The digital thermometer in my humidor still reads around 73 degrees. Is this a problem?

BTW, the RH is at 69-71%.
[Reply]
pnoon 07:33 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Route 66:
The digital thermometer in my humidor still reads around 73 degrees. Is this a problem?

BTW, the RH is at 69-71%.
Most folks would be thrilled with 73 degrees.
If your RH is 69-71% and you are happy with the way your cigars smoke, that's fine, too. However, most people I know prefer their RH in the 60-65% range. But as long as you are happy with the way your sticks are smoking, that's all that matters.
[Reply]
Route 66 07:43 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Most folks would be thrilled with 73 degrees.
If your RH is 69-71% and you are happy with the way your cigars smoke, that's fine, too. However, most people I know prefer their RH in the 60-65% range. But as long as you are happy with the way your sticks are smoking, that's all that matters.
Thanks for the reply. I don't feel that I know enough about it to know if I would prefer 70% or if I should try to get it down to 60-65%.

I was concerned that beetles may appear at 73 degrees and that would freak me out. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:35 AM 09-28-2012
Thanks for the reply. I don't feel that I know enough about it to know if I would prefer 70% or if I should try to get it down to 60-65%.

I was concerned that beetles may appear at 73 degrees and that would freak me out. :-)
Some folks experience burn issues with RH at higher levels. If your cigars seem to you to be smoking fine, then don't sweat the RH. My concern would be that if your RH goes up even slightly, you will very likely experience burn problems. I prefer low to mid-60s RH not only for how they smoke but it provides a comfortable margin should the RH rise.

There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to beetles appearing. From what I have read (and I believe) is that sustained temps above 80 are where you really need to be concerned. Think of the climates in the DR, Cuba and Central America. A lot warmer than 73.

I live in San Diego, have no temp control in my humidor and only use the central AC sporadically when needed.
[Reply]
Route 66 10:30 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Some folks experience burn issues with RH at higher levels. If your cigars seem to you to be smoking fine, then don't sweat the RH. My concern would be that if your RH goes up even slightly, you will very likely experience burn problems. I prefer low to mid-60s RH not only for how they smoke but it provides a comfortable margin should the RH rise.

There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to beetles appearing. From what I have read (and I believe) is that sustained temps above 80 are where you really need to be concerned. Think of the climates in the DR, Cuba and Central America. A lot warmer than 73.

I live in San Diego, have no temp control in my humidor and only use the central AC sporadically when needed.
Thanks. It sounds as if I can stop worrying about beetles because I have my central A/C set to come on at 76 degrees. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:54 AM 09-28-2012
Thanks. It sounds as if I can stop worrying about beetles because I have my central A/C set to come on at 76 degrees. :-)
Glad to have helped.
As with anything in life, there are no guarantees. But if I were in your situation, I wouldn't be worrying.
[Reply]
Route 66 12:31 PM 09-28-2012
I have another couple of questions...

Is there a good place to buy cigars online?

Should I just buy them locally?
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:39 PM 09-28-2012

Search is your friend :-)

There are a lot of Sticky threads in CA that list online retailers, peoples experiences, etc.

Needless to say, it is kind of a "religious" issue. Some people buy only online, some only local. The one thing to remember is that if you like having a local B&M then you need to support them otherwise, they may disappear.

Just my :-)
[Reply]
T.G 12:41 PM 09-28-2012

There are quite a number of online vendors listed in the following thread:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1612
[Reply]
bobarian 02:06 PM 09-28-2012
You may pay a bit more at your local shop but a small business is always worth supporting. I try to buy singles at my local B&M but boxes from online vendors. :-)

Where in California are you?
[Reply]
Page 31 of 39
« First < 21293031 3233 > Last »
Up