Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>What makes me sick is........
mrreindeer 11:24 AM 12-08-2008
No, really.

I've been wondering for a while what actually makes one sick :-) when smoking a cigar. As far as I can recall, I've only become nauseous once and certainly never threw up, although I mostly smoke after I've at least eaten something. I know some on here have certainly had their fair share of 'cigar-sickness' so I look to you for some words of wisdom.

1) What actually makes you sick? We put the cigar to our lips, take a puff & exhale, either all through the mouth or partially through the mouth and nose and don't inhale. The smoke can't be in our bodies for more than 10 seconds and that's even a stretch, I think. Of course, we repeat the process for a good hour, hour and a half so 'something' must build up.

I'm looking for some scientific explanation....like what do you absorb or breathe in in that short time that would make your body react physically? And why....how?

2) Are there particular cigars that are more likely to make us sick? Why?

3) Why would eating something really make a difference? Again, I'm looking for the scientific/biological perspective... and I imagine it's much like with drinking...something in your stomach slows the absorption process....(I may have just answered my own question.)

4) Since we're on the topic, what is it that physiologically gives you that buzz, if it does? What takes place to give you that buzz from this short intake of smoke?

5) Do you grow a tolerance for this buzz much like with alcohol based on the amount you smoke so that after awhile you don't necessarily get that buzz you did earlier in your hobby?
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:34 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
1) What actually makes you sick?
It's the nicotine and combination of not having enough clean air in my system.

2) Are there particular cigars that are more likely to make us sick? Why?
Stronger ones to my recollection. I'd be more likely to get sick of off a JdN Antanes versus say a Padron 2000. I would also say it's the compiling effect of the cigars too. Smoking one is fine but 3-5 makes a huge difference.

3) Why would eating something really make a difference?
I'm not fully sure but IMHO it has the same effect as alcohol on an empty stomach. I would assume the food in your system helps absorb the nicotine better?

4) Since we're on the topic, what is it that physiologically gives you that buzz, if it does? What takes place to give you that buzz from this short intake of smoke?
Too much "Vitamin N."

5) Do you grow a tolerance for this buzz much like with alcohol based on the amount you smoke so that after awhile you don't necessarily get that buzz you did earlier in your hobby?

Yes...and on the same token your tolerance goes away fast if you don't keep it up. I was smoking JdN Antanes and MK Ultras just fine during the warmer time of year..now that I do not get out to smoke much I seem to have a had time with 2-3 party shorts or RS12s.
[Reply]
GKitty 11:35 AM 12-08-2008
Well done, Bao. You're so smart!
[Reply]
Whee 11:37 AM 12-08-2008
I would venture to say it's the nicotine...some people have more tolerance for it than others.

I have only been sickened by two cigars. One was a RP Edge that I smoked on an empty stomach...was cigar #2 in my smoking career. I missed the "eat before you smoke" memo.

The other was a private label at the Bull and Bear in Naperviile. Tchariya can attest that about half through, i started to turn a little green. Had to set it down for a bit, then smoked a little more.

Normally, I just get a little buzz from the stronger sticks. But no..:-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:37 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by GKitty:
Well done, Bao. You're so smart!
Thanks..now convince others the same please..:-)
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:37 AM 12-08-2008
Thanks Bao! What is it about that dang JdN Antano? That was the one that made me queezy too!
[Reply]
kdog 11:46 AM 12-08-2008
I think I need to get one of those JdN Antano. I don't get a buzz anymore but I also dip Copenhagen, STRONG on "Vitamin N".
[Reply]
Scimmia 11:48 AM 12-08-2008
nicotine plays havoc with your blood sugar levels, eating helps to combat this. Simplest solution to nicotine sickness is a sugar cube.
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:49 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by kdog:
I think I need to get one of those JdN Antano. I don't get a buzz anymore but I also dip Copenhagen, STRONG on "Vitamin N".
PM Sent. :-)
[Reply]
Swampper 11:50 AM 12-08-2008
Nicotine.

Try this experiment:
Go bum a big pinch of Copenhagen off of someone.
Make sure you have a trash can near by.
Let us know how that worked out.
:-)
[Reply]
ucla695 11:53 AM 12-08-2008

1. I agree, it’s definitely the nicotine, which is absorbed by the mouth. I imagine it’s similar to the mechanism in which sub-lingual medications are absorbed into the blood stream.

2. Cigars with more nicotine are more likely to cause people to get sick.

3. I’m not sure, but it might have to do with sugar content in the blood and the way it’s processed by the body.

4. See Psychoactive effects in this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

5. Yes, your tolerance to nicotine will increase.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:56 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by Swampper:
Nicotine.

Try this experiment:
:-):-):-) uh, I think I'll pass.....although it sounds wonderful!

Originally Posted by ucla695:

1. I agree, it’s definitely the nicotine, which is absorbed by the mouth. I imagine it’s similar to the mechanism in which sub-lingual medications are absorbed into the blood stream.

2. Cigars with more nicotine are more likely to cause people to get sick.

3. I’m not sure, but it might have to do with sugar content in the blood and the way it’s processed by the body.

4. See Psychoactive effects in this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

5. Yes, your tolerance to nicotine will increase.
Thanks Mike; so what makes one cigar have more nicotine than another?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 01:07 PM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by Scimmia:
nicotine plays havoc with your blood sugar levels, eating helps to combat this. Simplest solution to nicotine sickness is a sugar cube.
Yep! Nicotine lowers you levels and the effects you feel are the symptoms of that low-blood sugar. That's why a full stomache and/or a sugary drink or sugar packet will help combat this.
[Reply]
jbo57 01:17 PM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
I would venture to say it's the nicotine...some people have more tolerance for it than others.

I have only been sickened by two cigars. One was a RP Edge that I smoked on an empty stomach...was cigar #2 in my smoking career. I missed the "eat before you smoke" memo.

The other was a private label at the Bull and Bear in Naperviile. Tchariya can attest that about half through, i started to turn a little green. Had to set it down for a bit, then smoked a little more.

Normally, I just get a little buzz from the stronger sticks. But no..:-)
I can testify that the man is a smoking machine! If you didn't get sick in Charleston, I would doubt what can make you sick...

I'm jealous however. I've gotten to smoke a few of Than's cigars but have never met him in person. Now he's an Illini fan! :-)

BTW, at least you turned GREEN and not red and white! :-)
[Reply]
dannyboy 01:27 PM 12-08-2008
As for why the nicotine can enter your body so quickly, the answer I have was found in this article (thank gettysburgfreak for finding it). It says that the smoke from cigars is more alkaline than from cigarettes, this alkalinity allows for more rapid absorption of the nicotine through the membranes in the mouth. No need to inhale, and still get the nic like you would from inhaling a cigarette.

Here is the link if you wanna read it:
http://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/tcrb...phs/9/m9_1.PDF
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 01:40 PM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by Scimmia:

A box of sugar cubes tossed in your Herf kit is a bright idea indeed!
[Reply]
kdog 03:41 PM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by Swampper:
Nicotine.

Try this experiment:
Fo Show,
I had a buddy quit smoking cigarettes for 3 months, he wanted a pinch of my Cope, two minutes he was:-) like a dog. He still doesn't smoke cigs and won't touch the Cope. Major kick.
[Reply]
Whee 03:45 PM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by jbo57:
I can testify that the man is a smoking machine! If you didn't get sick in Charleston, I would doubt what can make you sick...

I'm jealous however. I've gotten to smoke a few of Than's cigars but have never met him in person. Now he's an Illini fan! :-)

BTW, at least you turned GREEN and not red and white! :-)
or Blue and Orange...:-)
[Reply]
Cigary 05:08 PM 12-08-2008
Not to hijack your thread here but I can remember when I use to chew tobacco back in the early 80's and got my brother in law to start. I gave him a big chew of some long leaf tobacco ( Big Red ) and it wasn't a couple hours later that he is sick as a dog and throwing up everywhere. I ask him, what the problem big man,,,he says it must have been the juice. I was puzzled by his anwser and said,,,c'mon,,,,what did you do, swallow it? He says, well yeah, isnt that what you're supposed to do? I laughed for about 5 minutes as this dipstick had been swallowing all of this stuff for the last hour or so.
[Reply]
Snake Hips 05:25 PM 12-08-2008
Thanks Mike; so what makes one cigar have more nicotine than another?
The tobacco used. Tobacco from higher up on the plant (ligero in particular) has had more sun exposure and grows thicker and produces more nicotine. Tobacco from lower on the plant as well as shade-grown tobacco doesn't develop those defensive measures and produces less nicotine. That's why sun-grown and ligero cigars are much stronger than Connecticut shade cigars.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up