Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 68 of 138
« First < 1858666768 697078118 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Hippiebrian 08:01 PM 07-27-2011
Thanks, cigarnut. I'll keep an eye out for one!
[Reply]
Hippiebrian 07:45 PM 07-28-2011
I've been curiously peeking at those, for lack of a better term, peppermint mint striped cigars. You know, with both wnat appears to be natural and maduro wrappers. Is this a gimmick I shouldn't bother to try or is there a paticular flavor to them that may (or may not) be intrigueing? I'd like some opinions, as these seem gimmicky, but this newbie could be dead wrong!
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:00 PM 07-28-2011
They are typically called "Barber Poles". Several manufacturers make them. Some are good some are not. I happen to like this one:

Nub (by Oliva) also had a Barber Pole that they gave away at events.

If you see one, give it a try -- that is the best way to find out what you like.
[Reply]
Hippiebrian 08:09 PM 07-28-2011
So, more than just a gimmick then? Thanks. Oh. by the way I meant peppermint sticks not peppermint mints. I'm really not that redundant! Lol!

Anyways, might give one or two a try then.
[Reply]
T.G 08:34 PM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by Hippiebrian:
So, more than just a gimmick then? Thanks. Oh. by the way I meant peppermint sticks not peppermint mints. I'm really not that redundant! Lol!

Anyways, might give one or two a try then.
Visually, yes, it's a gimmick, BUT, it's not necessarily a bad gimmick. It does create a unique flavor and taste combination by allowing you to burn multiple capas at the same time.

More of the different names for the styles of the multi-capa cigars were discussed here:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43208
[Reply]
Hippiebrian 09:50 PM 07-28-2011
Thanks again for all the info! That thread told me all I wanted to know, thanks! Might have to spring for one of these some day...
[Reply]
VACigarSmoker 06:53 PM 08-01-2011
I like the little cigars that some in the tins. For a commute smoke or for a quickie. Should I put these in the humidor? I have been, but they are not kept in the humidor at the store. Just curious what people's thoughts were.
[Reply]
T.G 07:02 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by VACigarSmoker:
I like the little cigars that some in the tins. For a commute smoke or for a quickie. Should I put these in the humidor? I have been, but they are not kept in the humidor at the store. Just curious what people's thoughts were.
Not knowing what brand they are to say if they are treated with glycol and other ingredients to make them shelf stable or if they are dry cured, I can just say that it really won't hurt any of the brands to be stored in a humidor, and if they are not treated or dry cured, it should definitely help them.
[Reply]
Tyler 07:30 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Not knowing what brand they are to say if they are treated with glycol and other ingredients to make them shelf stable or if they are dry cured, I can just say that it really won't hurt any of the brands to be stored in a humidor, and if they are not treated or dry cured, it should definitely help them.
Agreed. I have some RyJ and Cohiba ones that I keep in my humidor.
[Reply]
chachee52 07:03 AM 08-02-2011
I've been buying some of the small tin Rock Patells and Padrons. My wife likes them because that's about all that she wants to smoke. i also hand them out to friends that want a cigar but have never really smoked. But I also enjoy them for a quick smoke if I am out in the garage cleaning.
I do keep mine in the humidor usually a week or two before I smoke them.
[Reply]
lukemoney 07:35 PM 08-02-2011
i have a box of cigars that i got recently and when i cut them the wrapper unravels and i have to throw them away how do i stop that from happening?
[Reply]
pnoon 07:36 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by lukemoney:
i have a box of cigars that i got recently and when i cut them the wrapper unravels and i have to throw them away how do i stop that from happening?
You are likely cutting too much off the head of the cigar - beyond the "shoulder". You should cut off only the cap. Thin to win
[Reply]
longknocker 07:40 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
You are likely cutting too much off the head of the cigar - beyond the "shoulder". You should cut off only the cap. Thin to win
:-) Best Way To Learn Is : 1. Place Open Cutter On A Flat Surface Like A Table.
2. Place Cigar In Open Cutter Which Is Flat On The
Table & Make The Cut.

:-)
[Reply]
lukemoney 07:43 PM 08-02-2011
thanks i will give that a try
[Reply]
lukemoney 07:43 PM 08-02-2011
and what is a good kind of cutter to have
[Reply]
area51 07:48 PM 08-02-2011
Remember to always cut less than you think you need to, you can always cut more if need be.
[Reply]
area51 07:48 PM 08-02-2011
Most people on here swear by Palio or Xikar.
[Reply]
longknocker 07:55 PM 08-02-2011
Palio Or Xikar IMO. Most People Here Prefer Palio, But My Everyday Cutter Is This:
http://www.xikar.com/cutters_xi208.asp# I Have The Carbon Fiber Look.

Sometimes You Can Find It Cheaper On www.cigarmonster.com :-)

Just Checked: On Sale At The Above Site For $20.95 :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 07:57 PM 08-02-2011
Xikar 009 Punch, fool proof. Xikar warranty = WIN!

They cost about $19 on cigar monster.com when they show up on the mashup.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:08 PM 08-02-2011
When you are starting out you should get a variety of inexpensive cutters and punches -- helps figure out what you like so you where to spend the real money. You may also find that you are happy with the inexpensive cutters/punches...

As others have said when it comes to cutting -- less is more :-)

:-)
[Reply]
Page 68 of 138
« First < 1858666768 697078118 > Last »
Up