Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 25
< 12 3412 > Last »
General Discussion>New Hobby: Bee Keeping
AdamJoshua 06:41 PM 02-21-2017
You should probably find the biggest bee and kick it's ass right away, just as a message to the other bees, not the queen but the biggest drone.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:44 PM 02-21-2017
Originally Posted by massphatness:
We're going to herf in the back yard this year -- the bees will be out front. That's a good 250 feet away. :-)
I'll bring a suit of armor. :-)
[Reply]
stearns 07:40 AM 02-22-2017
Very cool Vin, if I had the space and time I'd love to do something similar. I'm always up for a honey/honey bbq sauce trade :-)
[Reply]
massphatness 08:22 AM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by OLS:
I almost think that you should just let them keep all their honey, at least to the point where you end up with more
than one hive. Then maybe start taking some for daddy. I don't know if anyone really knows just how to keep the
bees around forever when they can't figure out what's really going on yet. In any case, you are a guy that goes over-
board to be kind, I am sure it will work out.
From my as yet very limited understanding of honey bee dynamics, bee keepers are taught to only harvest the excess honey. There's not a "brood hive" and a separate "storage hive" -- if I have two hives, I potentially end up with 2X the honey. I'm nowhere near the point where I want to manage two hives, although some instructors recommend starting out with two because it can be easier to deal with problems in one hive if you have a second. But I'm going with one for the time being. I don't want so many bees that icehog won't set foot in New England much less Mass.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:46 AM 02-22-2017
I like turtles. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:27 PM 02-22-2017
Make sure the bees have plants to do their work on. If all there is around are pine trees; the honey will have a certain taste...
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:28 PM 02-22-2017
Vin, before you get too far into this, you might want to verify that you are not allergic to bee stings :-)
[Reply]
massphatness 02:38 PM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Make sure the bees have plants to do their work on. If all there is around are pine trees; the honey will have a certain taste...
We're quite literally across the street from an apple orchard. :-)

Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Vin, before you get too far into this, you might want to verify that you are not allergic to bee stings :-)
Been stung as recently as last summer. Can't absolutely say it was a honey bee, but I'm not overly worried.
[Reply]
massphatness 02:39 PM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I like turtles. :-)
Here you go ...

[Reply]
Tio Gato 03:46 PM 02-22-2017
Backyard herfing is better. That way your neighbors won't see Tom's retirement stripper dancing.:-):-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:28 PM 02-22-2017
Have you seen these hives, Vin?

https://youtu.be/0_pj4cz2VJM
[Reply]
icehog3 10:18 PM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
IPA! :-)

Here you go ...

Yay!!

Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
Backyard herfing is better. That way your neighbors won't see Tom's retirement stripper dancing.:-):-)
It better be a chick, Jeff. :-)
[Reply]
massphatness 09:44 AM 03-05-2017
Built a hive stand over the weekend from some plans I found online. I'm no carpenter, but the stand is (relatively) stable & the hive fits on it perfectly.

The honey bees are due on April 10 ...
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:50 AM 03-05-2017
Wow! Did not realize people still used corded tools!

:-)
[Reply]
markem 10:16 AM 03-05-2017
Cool! Progress is good. Any chance you'll put up a "bee cam" at some point? By that I mean a small camera that sees inside the hive. Something like this but a wider shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_9HZeG97Xg
[Reply]
massphatness 11:19 AM 03-05-2017
I could see doing something outside the hive, but inside the hive would be tricky based on what little I currently know about honey bees to this point and the space (or lack of space) they like to have in the hive.

There's a concept knows as "bee space" which is between 3/8 and a 1/4 inch. If there's more space, the bees build to fill it in, and if there's less, they seal it up with this resin-like substance they produce called propolis. So a camera in the hive has to take bee space into account at a minimum, and I'm not there yet.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:17 PM 03-05-2017
Most importanr part of beekeeping is yet to come. That would be beekeeping the bees away from icehog.

J/K, stand looks cool, Vin. Looking forward to seeing the project move forward. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 12:23 PM 03-05-2017
Very cool. You never know maybe the bees like to be watched, everyone has their kink.
[Reply]
BigAsh 06:53 AM 03-06-2017
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I have had a wonderful time visiting you the past few summers, Vin, and look forward to seeing you elsewhere in the future. :-) :-)
hahaha...

Built a hive stand over the weekend from some plans I found online. I'm no carpenter, but the stand is (relatively) stable & the hive fits on it perfectly.

The honey bees are due on April 10 ...
And yet, you have "Jesus sandles"....Oh, and April 11th on my calendar ...:-)
[Reply]
massphatness 07:45 AM 03-06-2017
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
And yet, you have "Jesus sandles"....
Much like Jesus, my dad has the carpentry skills.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 25
< 12 3412 > Last »
Up