Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 146 of 270
« First < 4696136144145146 147148156196246 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
jwintosh 03:17 PM 01-14-2012
oh my... great thread!! recently purchased a traeger grill. fun fun!!
[Reply]
OLS 06:58 PM 01-14-2012
Haha, yeah, this thread from beginning to end is quite a commitment in time, and you will see many people who
never smoked a single ounce of meat go from nothing to pretty damn fine smokers in it if you can read it all. I don't
think anyone does that anymore. But a reverse read can show you a lot of nice meat til you just can't take it no mo.

I just took a giant bag of leg quarters out of the freezer, no sense in smoking em much, the skin on chicken just kills
the smoke penetration. But just getting me outside again after months off will be something. Also gonna smoke some
'country style ribs' while I am out there.
[Reply]
OLS 09:16 AM 01-15-2012
Pretty dismal effort on my end, although in flavor it is a great success. SOMEHOW this is not over-
smoked. I had no charcoal, so I had to end up picking up all the sticks in the yard. When you do that
you end up having wood that burns hot and leaves little coal left over. So I ended up basically using the
hot fire and the white smoke to cook my food today. I tried to burn out most of the smoke before I cooked, but
to stoke the fire I basically had to throw in more sticks. At the end, I went with a large bag of peanut shells
which works GREAT for both heat and smoke. It looks like a slagheap when it glows. I ended up with a deep purple
exterior and a very tasty meat that was just on the high side of smoked, not a delicate smoke flavor, but a strong
smoke taste without being creosote or over-smoked. As this was a RARE bag of leg quarters in that it was all fryer-
sized, the meat is just perfectly cooked and delicious. Outstanding effort, if horribly non-typical.
Attached: purple chicken.jpg (118.2 KB) 
[Reply]
pnoon 09:21 AM 01-15-2012
Preparing to do 4 racks of baby back ribs and a couple of whole chickens today.
Can't wait. :-)
[Reply]
jwintosh 09:27 AM 01-15-2012
i'll bring the chili!!
[Reply]
SDmate 10:19 AM 01-15-2012
I'll bring my appetite :-)
[Reply]
raisin 08:15 PM 01-16-2012
Beef cheesecake - short ribs on the WSM!

If you tire of the brisket quality lottery, try a nice whole rack of beef short ribs on the smoker. Super trim the fat, as there is mucho internal fat to render, simple salt & pepper rub with a touch of garlic salt. These look small, but are literally as rich as NY cheesecake, treat yourself Sometime!
[Reply]
pnoon 08:16 PM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by raisin:
Beef cheesecake - short ribs on the WSM!

If you tire of the brisket quality lottery, try a nice whole rack of beef short ribs on the smoker. Super trim the fat, as there is mucho internal fat to render, simple salt & pepper rub with a touch of garlic salt. These look small, but are literally as rich as NY cheesecake, treat yourself Sometime!
Well look who the cat dragged in.
Where have you been hiding, my friend?
Good to "see" you.
[Reply]
jwintosh 01:07 PM 01-17-2012
i'll give those shortribs a try!! i'll be smoking a couple pork shoulders this week. i'm on for the pulled pork sammichs for a work party on sunday. good stuff!!
[Reply]
357 08:00 PM 01-18-2012
I found out a couple days ago that my BIL can get 55 gal drums for free. I will be making a smoker come spring.
[Reply]
Mr B 09:22 AM 01-19-2012
Going ot do (2) Bone-In Shoulders this Friday night for our Church's 15th B-Day Pot Luck on Saturday. I will "try" to remember to take pics. Seems like the last 3-4 times I have smoked, I forget about the pics all-together.
[Reply]
T.G 11:31 PM 01-20-2012
Cured and smoked a 2.5lb salmon filet for the 4th Annual Napa Polar Bear herf (BABOTL Indoor herf)

Cured with a modified version of Peter's recipe: Cold Smoked Salmon
Smoked with pecan wood.
Attached: lg_smkd_salmon-1.jpg (83.2 KB) lg_smkd_salmon-2.jpg (83.5 KB) 
[Reply]
pnoon 11:40 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Cured and smoked a 2.5lb salmon filet for the 4th Annual Napa Polar Bear herf (BABOTL Indoor herf)

Cured with a modified version of Peter's recipe: Cold Smoked Salmon
Smoked with pecan wood.
Looks delicious Adam.
What modifications did you make?
[Reply]
T.G 11:45 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Looks delicious Adam.
What modifications did you make?
I just posted them in your thread.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:46 PM 01-22-2012
Been thinking about doing a bacon explosion lately. Came up with a different take, a cheeseburger bacon explosion. I had a bag of high temp cheese in the freezer I'd been meaning to use. It's the type you find in things like snack sticks. Perfect! Simply did the bacon weave, mixed about 1/2 lb of the cheese into 2 lbs of ground beef, rolled that out and seasoned, the filled with some cooked bacon and BBQ sauce, then rolled it all all up. Here's the pics to prove it happened. :-)

Before going into the smoker.

After finishing in the oven and glazing with some BBQ sauce (mix of Snkbyt's and another of my faves).

A pic of the last bit after slicing and gnoshing.
[Reply]
Steve 08:49 PM 01-22-2012
YUM! :-)
[Reply]
Shawn hines 10:07 AM 01-23-2012
Very Nice
[Reply]
jwintosh 01:34 PM 01-23-2012
that'll be my next venture!!
[Reply]
OLS 11:50 AM 01-29-2012
My store trip last week resulted in not just the neckbones from which I made a great stew,
but also 3-4 packs of the "Western Style Ribs" which makes no sense. Obviously they are not ribs,
but some kind of spare meat cut off of a Butt or even an actal butt cut up. But they are tremendous
grill fare no matter what, so I picked them up and a pack of reduced short ribs and a rack of
beef ribs at regular price. Cooked the last of em today, only remembered to photo the rack of
ribs, and only THEN inside where the light was bad. Couldn't get a decent macro in the kitchen
light streaming in from outdoors, so it is not in focus. The rack is, but that was from farther away.

Cooked them with smoke for 90 mins and without for another 90 mins. Delicious. My best smoke
for months. Apple chunks and peanut shells
Attached: beefribs1.jpg (122.2 KB) beefribs2.jpg (77.4 KB) 
[Reply]
pnoon 12:01 PM 01-29-2012
8 pounds of marinated London Broil for beef jerky.

Later today, herbed lemon marinated chicken breasts.
[Reply]
Page 146 of 270
« First < 4696136144145146 147148156196246 > Last »
Up