Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Plugging a Vino Drain.
shilala 09:03 AM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
I currently do not have my drain plugged, but I also dont have my vino currently plugged in. I keep it in the basement that has a pretty constant temp and RH%.

If I were to plug it up, what issues might I have to contend with? I have heard that condensation can be an issue, but that would only be for those that are running.

Anything else?
Plug your drain, Moe. You were supposed to do that when you got your beads. :-)
[Reply]
md4958 09:06 AM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
Plug your drain, Moe. You were supposed to do that when you got your beads. :-)
Hey Scotty, that wasnt in your instructions!!!
[Reply]
shilala 09:11 AM 01-17-2009
Hey Scotty, that wasnt in your instructions!!!
I usually tell everyone by pm when they order beads. I don't know why I didn't tell you. I think today's excuse will be...
Is there an old guy excuse wheel on the internet that I can spin???
[Reply]
md4958 09:16 AM 01-17-2009
I usually tell everyone by pm when they order beads. I don't know why I didn't tell you. I think today's excuse will be...
Is there an old guy excuse wheel on the internet that I can spin???
its ok, you can just use the old guy excuse :"im old!" :-):-):-)

btw, my vino is rock solid at 65% usually... its a touch high right now cause i put some wet boxes in there... so since I never had a problem, Ive never researched a solution.
[Reply]
shilala 09:18 AM 01-17-2009
its ok, you can just use the old guy excuse :"im old!" :-):-):-)

btw, my vino is rock solid at 65% usually... its a touch high right now cause i put some wet boxes in there... so since I never had a problem, Ive never researched a solution.
It might never change. Plug it anyways. That way when the weather changes it won't become a problem either. :-)
[Reply]
md4958 09:21 AM 01-17-2009
It might never change. Plug it anyways. That way when the weather changes it won't become a problem either. :-)
Will-do! Thank you Mr Shilala!

So I shouldnt have any issues with a non-running vino right?

Youre probably asking yourself "why does he have a vino if its not plugged in??"

Cause 1. I got it for $50 (I couldnt buy a cabinet for that) and 2. it looks way better than a cooler the same size (wich I probably couldnt buy for $50 either)
[Reply]
Benwoo 09:38 AM 01-17-2009
For the condensation woes in the bottom of the vino (if it is a problem), I've left a few chunky pieces of cedar in the bottom that have been included in various cigar boxes. The wood absorbs and slowly releases the moisture again. I only really had a pooling water issue when I first fired the creature up.
[Reply]
shilala 09:50 AM 01-17-2009
Will-do! Thank you Mr Shilala!

So I shouldnt have any issues with a non-running vino right?

Youre probably asking yourself "why does he have a vino if its not plugged in??"

Cause 1. I got it for $50 (I couldnt buy a cabinet for that) and 2. it looks way better than a cooler the same size (wich I probably couldnt buy for $50 either)
You won't have any issues at all if you plug the drain. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:59 AM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by Benwoo:
For the condensation woes in the bottom of the vino (if it is a problem), I've left a few chunky pieces of cedar in the bottom that have been included in various cigar boxes. The wood absorbs and slowly releases the moisture again. I only really had a pooling water issue when I first fired the creature up.
Good idea, Chris. Guys should be very, very careful to roll those pieces around and watch for mold. While I agree it's a cool idea, it creates the exacting and perfect conditions for mold to grow.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 11:14 AM 01-17-2009
I have two vino's sitting side by side... One is plugged the other is not... Currently I use no humidification in either and they both stick around 65% and are opened about 2 times a week... Weird but true... and no the sticks are not wet and most are have been in my possession for over a year...
[Reply]
Munkey 04:18 PM 01-20-2009
Nice thread Shilala.

I finally plugged my drain due to worries of mold growing inside the lining after I ripped out the S drain to run power into the VT. I need to redo this and I'll use your suggestions.
[Reply]
kydsid 05:11 PM 07-31-2009
Well this seems the most appropriate so I'll bump this old thread.

I have the EdgeStar TWR28S 28 bottle wine cooler as my humidor. I found that a 5/16" -18 Acorn nut and some PTFE plumbers tape seals the drain on the back of these units like a champ. :-)
[Reply]
nozero 05:29 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Mine is plugged as well, with Shilala beads and no probs.:-)
Ditto
[Reply]
ChasDen 05:33 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
I have two vino's sitting side by side... One is plugged the other is not... Currently I use no humidification in either and they both stick around 65% and are opened about 2 times a week... Weird but true... and no the sticks are not wet and most are have been in my possession for over a year...
Whats the RH in the room?

I have a cooler in the same room downstairs where I store all my Spanish Cedar before I cut it. The RH in the room is about 60%-70% and the temp is about 65 degrees, sometimes less. When I have overflow cigars I store it there and sometimes its weeks before I get it into one of the vinos. No beads or anything and the cooler is always about 65% :-)

Chas
[Reply]
markem 05:43 PM 07-31-2009
This is a funny thread :-) really.

Do what works for you. If going without a plug works, then don't listen to the nay sayers. If plugging works, more power to you.

9 months out of the year I do not need to plug, based on experimentation. I choose to use duct tape to plug all of the vinos now. That works for me. To say that someone who doesn't plug is wrong is a little bit like saying that their legs are too short. Abraham Lincoln famously replied to the query, "How long should a man's legs be?" with "long enough to reach the ground." One size fit all rarely does.

:-) <----- :-)
[Reply]
shvictor 06:09 PM 07-31-2009
I dont have either of mine plugged and everything is fine
[Reply]
Old Sailor 06:34 PM 07-31-2009
[quote=shilala;175541]I usually tell everyone by pm when they order beads. I don't know why I didn't tell you. I think today's excuse will be...
Is there an old guy excuse wheel on the internet that I can spin???[/QUOTE]

OSD......Old Sailor Disease....can't remember crap:-):-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:43 AM 08-01-2009
Originally Posted by markem:
This is a funny thread :-) really.

Do what works for you. If going without a plug works, then don't listen to the nay sayers. If plugging works, more power to you.

9 months out of the year I do not need to plug, based on experimentation. I choose to use duct tape to plug all of the vinos now. That works for me. To say that someone who doesn't plug is wrong is a little bit like saying that their legs are too short. Abraham Lincoln famously replied to the query, "How long should a man's legs be?" with "long enough to reach the ground." One size fit all rarely does.

:-) <----- :-)
With all due respect, that makes as much sense as "Bob drilled a hole in the front of his desktop humi and it stays at 65% all the time. I'm gonna go try that." :-)
[Reply]
markem 11:57 AM 08-01-2009
With all due respect, that makes as much sense as "Bob drilled a hole in the front of his desktop humi and it stays at 65% all the time. I'm gonna go try that." :-)
With all due respect, I didn't say that. I said to do what works. I know many who do not plug the drain, have a small amount (maybe 8 oz) of heartfelt beads and have no problems. I also know people who plug the drain and have no end to problems with condensation.

Your statement that "you are supposed to plug the hole" makes about as much sense as drilling a hole in your desktop, as far as universal truths go. That you don't recognize that makes this thread even funnier. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 01:01 PM 08-01-2009
Originally Posted by markem:
Your statement that "you are supposed to plug the hole" makes about as much sense as drilling a hole in your desktop, as far as universal truths go. That you don't recognize that makes this thread even funnier. :-)
You made made me a believer.
I'm gonna go make sure I have a hole in every one of my humidors and wish for the best. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up