Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>HDM Excalibur Dark Knight II
Whee 10:24 PM 06-07-2009
Time for another review.

Tonight, I am revisiting an old friend. This is a cigar I have not smoked in over a year I believe. I was reorganizing humis today, found it, and thought, "I need to burn this."

Tonight's review:

HDM Excalibur 1066 Dark Knight II
6.5 x 52
Wrapper: Connecticut Havana
Filler: Dominican, Connecticu and Honduran

Here it is...let's hope it's not a "joker"

The appearance of this stick is a gorgeous, dark brown, oily wrapper with only one prominent vein near the top. Very smooth and firm to the touch. The pre light aroma is sweet tobacco. I clipped the cap, and the rest of it fell off. Getting a nice tea flavor on the pre light draw, which is firm, but not uncomfortably so.

It lit up easily and I am getting a strong leather flavor off the bat. The missing cap is a little annoying, but not terrible.

This stick is a slow starter, but I am getting some wonderful amounts of smoke at 5 minutes...

15 minutes in and still getting lots and lots of creamy, white smoke. Draw is a little snug. The flavor has picked up some sweetness in addition to that strong leather. Maybe it's molasses I taste, very nice. The ash is firm and I am getting a nice cedary aroma off the stick.

30 minutes...

Still has a nice, strong leather flavor. Draw is still firm, but ok. Still getting lots of smoke. Love sitting in the "fog". Getting something sweet and fruit like now. Can't figure out what it was, but it was very nice the couple of draws it was there. Back to the leather.

This is a pretty solid stick so far. Flavor is holding up nicely. Very slow smoke. 45 minutes in and only about 1/3 of the way in. I like that. Rests well, lots of smoke and can sit for three or four minutes with no issues when I pick it up.

Burn aroma is now campfire like, with roasted coffee coming through.

Here we are at one hour. No big changes at this time at about the halfway point. Getting very light pepper notes under the leather.

At 80 minutes, it has switched a little to a spiciness I can't identify. It's sweet. Bit of a smoky flavor coming through as well, if that makes any sense. Burn has become a little ragged and I notice we are tunneling a bit. The ash is medium gray and holds fairly solid.

20 minutes later, the dreaded harshness has made an appearance and the burn is still ragged. Just doesn't want to self correct and I have touched up a couple times.

And we died here at 151 minutes...

Still smoking really well as you can see, but it had turned harsh.

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this stick. It lasted nearly two hours and maintained a nice flavor throughout. Not terribly complex, but satisfying. A forgotten gem I was glad to rediscover.

Appearance: 17 (20)
Lighting and Burning: 12 (15)
Construction: 23 (30)
Taste: 28 (30)
Overall: 80
[Reply]
darkninja67 10:35 PM 06-07-2009
Great review. I always loved the 1066 line and need to get some more. I have not had one in over a year.
[Reply]
dccraft 06:21 AM 06-08-2009
Thanks for the review. I've had my first couple of these last month and thought they were very nice. Experienced similar tastes as you did.
[Reply]
Cigary 06:44 AM 06-08-2009
I like this cigar alot,,,just don't order it as much as I used to but still have a few singles in the humidor. It is nice to bring it out for a change of flavor.
[Reply]
DougBushBC 06:49 AM 06-08-2009
One of the only hdm Dominicans that I will smoke. Not bad.w
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:56 AM 06-08-2009
Very nice review.
[Reply]
tobii3 07:14 AM 06-08-2009
TWO AND A HALF HOURS?????

:-)
[Reply]
nozero 08:00 AM 06-08-2009
I really enjoy the HDM 1066 Dark Knights, but have yet to try the IIs or IIIs. Maybe next time I get a box.
[Reply]
BlackIrish 09:20 AM 06-08-2009
Thanks for the nice review. Reminds me that I have a 5pk tucked away that I need to burn.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:30 AM 06-08-2009
Nice review Sean:-)
[Reply]
Whee 09:34 AM 06-08-2009
Originally Posted by tobii3:
TWO AND A HALF HOURS?????

:-)
Oops, you are right. My feeble brain took 1hr 50 minutes and turned it into 150 minutes.:-)
[Reply]
Steve 09:59 AM 06-08-2009
Great review! One of my go-to cigars!
[Reply]
Up