Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Good Eats>Homemade Salami
mosesbotbol 09:03 AM 03-15-2019
Made 70 lb. of salami a few weeks ago and has been hanging in my cellar to cure and dry. Made two types; Calabrian Hot Pepper and Fennel. The Fennel are the white moldy ones.

Was a ton of work. Each phase is very careful not to introduce mold or smear the fat. The salami needs to be slightly heated to inculcate the starter culture that is mixed in the pork. The white is mold solution wiped on to the casing and you can see how it spread in the air a little.

[Reply]
stearns 09:16 AM 03-15-2019
Very cool :-)
[Reply]
Brlesq 09:18 AM 03-15-2019
That is something to see! Sounds delicious, too.

Is there any concern that the mold could spread to the corks in the wine bottles?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:37 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Brlesq:
That is something to see! Sounds delicious, too.

Is there any concern that the mold could spread to the corks in the wine bottles?
I am not worried at all.

It would only be on the outside of corks and mold in some cases is wanted. Very common to see crazy mold on bottles in Bordeaux & Madeira chateau wine cellars. Humidity is high and I have read mold is a welcome thing to help the wines age even longer. Here is a quick picture I found online.

Here they are just now; a good week so since the previous picture:
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:42 AM 03-15-2019
Looks awesome!
[Reply]
markem 10:10 AM 03-15-2019
Very nice.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:11 AM 03-15-2019
Mmm... sopresatta. Beautiful work! Is your wine cellar humidified? .Just curious.

I have two legs for proscuitto hanging in my chamber right now. The plan is to go at least two years before slicing into them. I also have some nduja and guanciale in there too. I really need to make something else soon.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:25 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Mmm... sopresatta. Beautiful work! Is your wine cellar humidified? .Just curious.

I have two legs for proscuitto hanging in my chamber right now. The plan is to go at least two years before slicing into them. I also have some nduja and guanciale in there too. I really need to make something else soon.
I had a humidifier going, but it's holding at 55f and 72%h without it. If the humidity drops down in the 50's, I'll turn it back on.

We are making 4 Culatello's in a few weeks, along with another 70-100 lb of salami in two different flavors than we have already
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 01:09 PM 03-15-2019
Looks great!!!
[Reply]
8lug 01:19 PM 03-15-2019
Wow, looks great Moses.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 03:49 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I had a humidifier going, but it's holding at 55f and 72%h without it. If the humidity drops down in the 50's, I'll turn it back on.

We are making 4 Culatello's in a few weeks, along with another 70-100 lb of salami in two different flavors than we have already
Culatello is one of my next projects. Reminds me I need to contact my farmer friends about primal cuts. Can’t wait to see what you do next.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:01 PM 03-15-2019
Looks amazing that sure is a lot of plume!!! :-)

Can I ask what you do with it, is this just for you to enjoy, is it xmas gifts do you beat people up with it, all of the above?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:21 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Looks amazing that sure is a lot of plume!!! :-)

Can I ask what you do with it, is this just for you to enjoy, is it xmas gifts do you beat people up with it, all of the above?
I am splitting it all with a friend. He wants to do this commercially. I wouldn't give a whole one as a gift, but I would give sliced portions out. I have a Berkel slicer, so at least I can slice the stuff.

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:23 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Culatello is one of my next projects. Reminds me I need to contact my farmer friends about primal cuts. Can’t wait to see what you do next.
Those are a big dollar projects and we need to finalize where we are getting the legs from. The salami is not as prime pig quality needed like a Culatello.
[Reply]
The Poet 05:42 PM 03-15-2019
I tried making my own vienna sausages, but couldn't get them into that freakin' can.

Hope it ages well for you, broh.
[Reply]
big pete 08:20 PM 03-15-2019
Cool stuff! Always wanted to make some. Btw, nice cellsr
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:36 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Those are a big dollar projects and we need to finalize where we are getting the legs from. The salami is not as prime pig quality needed like a Culatello.
True. I have friends that raise American Guinea Hog, plus other heritage mutt breeds. That’s what I’ve been using for myself. They finish on black acorns in the fall. Man can you taste it. The fat is so good. Reminds me I need to check on my lardo that’s been curing for months.

Jealous of the Berkel too. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:39 PM 03-15-2019
Oh, if you’re on FB, check out the Salt Cured Pig group. Lots of good info, from home hobbyists to commercial producers and farmers.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:08 AM 03-16-2019
Hmmmm. looks like a great appetizer for a herf in the Boston burbs, Moses. :-) :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:02 AM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Hmmmm. looks like a great appetizer for a herf in the Boston burbs, Moses. :-) :-)
Whenever you are in town, we can have a herf at my place! :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up