Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Good Eats>Burger Joints - What's Your Fav?
dave 08:47 AM 02-02-2017
Was asking around recently, myself. Had a spectacularly crappy burger experience at TGIF recently. Love Ted's Montana Grill burgers....but, I have a little trouble swallowing the $50 check for two. I have been a fan of 5 Guys for years, but last couple visits were disappointing...not sure if it is them or me. I, too, like BK on rare occasion...the BK Junior is a good, little burger most of the time. And, I have to strongly disagree with the comment about McD's fries....they have sucked big time since they changed the oil...what, maybe 15-18 years ago? The BK fries are far and away better.

Denny's patty melt used to be as good a burger as you could get at 2AM...but they dropped it from their menu a couple years ago and I no longer see any reason to go near the place.

I've had good experiences at Red Robin and Fuddruckers, but neither for quite some time. I'm going to try both very soon...if only to get the taste of that TGIF burger out of my mouth.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:47 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
Strictly a west coast operation but I've been chomping down on these since the early 70's. Amazingly I'm still alive. Mostly.

Ooohh -- I do love me some Tommy's! Used to go to Tommy's all the time when I lived in SoCal.
[Reply]
dave 08:49 AM 02-02-2017
Just checked... the McD oil change I was referring to was in 1990 (beef tallow to vegetable)....geez, I'm getting old
[Reply]
Dux 10:48 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Been going out of my way recently to hit Shake Shack. There's something about their Smoke Shack Burger and those delicious cherry peppers along with the bacon & their sauce (I add onion too) that just hits the spot for me.

Based on burgers only, my top three - in order - would be:

1. Shake Shack
2. In 'n Out
3. Five Guys

Shout outs to Johnny Rockets for their Chocolate Malteds, and you won't be able convince that McDonald's doesn't have the best fries when you hit them just right. Other places may have a better fry on a consistent basis, but when a McDonald's french fry is in the zone, there's none better.

What do you like? And why?

:-)
If I could have a SS burger with FG fries :-):-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 10:54 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by dave:
Was asking around recently, myself. Had a spectacularly crappy burger experience at TGIF recently. Love Ted's Montana Grill burgers....but, I have a little trouble swallowing the $50 check for two. I have been a fan of 5 Guys for years, but last couple visits were disappointing...not sure if it is them or me. I, too, like BK on rare occasion...the BK Junior is a good, little burger most of the time. And, I have to strongly disagree with the comment about McD's fries....they have sucked big time since they changed the oil...what, maybe 15-18 years ago? The BK fries are far and away better.

Denny's patty melt used to be as good a burger as you could get at 2AM...but they dropped it from their menu a couple years ago and I no longer see any reason to go near the place.

I've had good experiences at Red Robin and Fuddruckers, but neither for quite some time. I'm going to try both very soon...if only to get the taste of that TGIF burger out of my mouth.

:-) :-) :-)

I'd rather not eat fries than eat BK fries. And I loves me some fries, so that's saying something. :-)
[Reply]
dave 10:59 AM 02-02-2017
Well...I'm willing to agree to disagree.

I will say, however, that while I also love me some fries....Wendy's fries are not even edible
[Reply]
icehog3 11:24 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by Brandon:
My favorite is Beinlichs outside of Chicago. They make a very tender patty, not too thick or thin. They only allow grilled onions and cheese to be ordered on the burger... they don't allow salads. It's a lodge type atmosphere with the short menu posted on the wall.
That's probably tops among the independants in Chicagoland, not sure why, but they're awesome. Introduced by the Dark Lord many years ago.

I remember when the chain first opened, Fuddruckers were really good. They went downhill over the years, and now they're not even around here anymore.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:46 AM 02-02-2017
Nota bene, Harold & Kumar did NOT go to Mickey Ds.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 11:55 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by dave:
Well...I'm willing to agree to disagree.

I will say, however, that while I also love me some fries....Wendy's fries are not even edible
Wendy's were great back when they were the larger fries and some had the skin on them. I don't know why they changed them, but yep, they're no good.
[Reply]
Subvet642 03:07 PM 02-02-2017
Without a doubt it would be Nicky's in Wrentham, Mass. The burgers are Old School; no frills, nothing fancy but... high quality ingredients, bakery buns, everything expertly prepared with the lettuce, tomato and pickles served on the side. The meat to bun to condiment ratio is perfect; everything is always perfect. It is quite simply the best diner in the Universe! I have no connection with it whatsoever but check out this menu:

http://www.nickysfamilydining.com/lunch-dinner-menu/
[Reply]
longknocker 03:11 PM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:

:-) :-) :-)

I'd rather not eat fries than eat BK fries. And I loves me some fries, so that's saying something. :-)
Agreed. I Will Not Eat BK Fries. McD, Whataburger, Five Guys Fries Are Good!:-)
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 03:16 PM 02-02-2017
Shake Shack
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 04:39 PM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
Without a doubt it would be Nicky's in Wrentham, Mass. The burgers are Old School; no frills, nothing fancy but... high quality ingredients, bakery buns, everything expertly prepared with the lettuce, tomato and pickles served on the side. The meat to bun to condiment ratio is perfect; everything is always perfect. It is quite simply the best diner in the Universe! I have no connection with it whatsoever but check out this menu:

That's a nice menu. I grew up in New England and miss the seafood. Not that the stuff down here is bad, but it ain't New England.
[Reply]
ksknnr 08:44 AM 02-03-2017

I'm going to have to check this place out, only about 1/2 hour from me
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:49 AM 02-03-2017
Suprised no one has mentioned Minetta Tavern in NYC. The age of the beef comes through like I have never had on hamburger, but price like it too...

I like Wild Willy's which is a small chain around New England. Straightforward, but top notch. Actually one of my favorite regular family places to eat.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:37 AM 02-03-2017
I didn't mention Minetta Tavern because I've never been to NYC. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:59 AM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I didn't mention Minetta Tavern because I've never been to NYC. :-)
That's no excuse.
[Reply]
nutcracker 11:10 AM 02-03-2017
Come to Winnipeg - the ultimate hipster joint:
Nuburger

They are excellent - with burgers like:
Blueberry yum yum
Drunken Aussie
Etc

Otherwise I go with Five Guys
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:23 PM 02-03-2017
Well they aren't around anymore but in Somerville MA there was Worldly Wings, I worked there when I first got to Boston, we would trim down whole roast beefs to cook for sandwiches and take the trimmings and grind them for burgers while mixing in some chuck and other cow parts. They actually had great "steak burgers" as they called them. It was right next door to the Jazz club where Whitey used to meet with his boys.

Originally Posted by ksknnr:
I'm going to have to check this place out, only about 1/2 hour from me
Perfect.

Also this
Originally Posted by :
Extras: Jimmies $.10
You can tell New England by "Jimmies" even I Florida we grew up saying that as my family was from Boston, never sprinkles always Jimmies.

(All kidding aside, you can't beat the prices there!)
[Reply]
Subvet642 03:00 PM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:

Also this You can tell New England by "Jimmies" even I Florida we grew up saying that as my family was from Boston, never sprinkles always Jimmies.

(All kidding aside, you can't beat the prices there!)
Don't forget the Frappe (In New England frappes have ice cream, shakes don't).
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up