Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Good Eats>habanero peppers
jerseystepup 10:16 AM 10-04-2009
We got about 25 30 habaneros out of our garden and I have no idea what to do with these things. They are SOOO damn hot. Anyone have any good recipes or ideas for habaneros?
[Reply]
GreekGodX 10:33 AM 10-04-2009
Run far, far away from these :-)
[Reply]
heavyd 10:40 AM 10-04-2009
Habaneros are so hot that they are almost useless in my opinion. Here is a link to a recipe site. I tried the salsa they mention, and it was too hot for me (and I like hot stuff).

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Fruits...nero/Main.aspx

Good luck!
[Reply]
raisin 10:44 AM 10-04-2009
Originally Posted by heavyd:
Habaneros are so hot that they are almost useless in my opinion.
Not really. Try them prepared without the seeds and membrane, that's where most of the heat hangs out. Cooking or pickling further reduces the hotspots and can make them approachable by all, excepting the confirmed wuss.
[Reply]
Paint 10:53 AM 10-04-2009
Dont play with those things.Way too hot.
[Reply]
heavyd 10:59 AM 10-04-2009
Originally Posted by raisin:
Not really. Try them prepared without the seeds and membrane, that's where most of the heat hangs out. Cooking or pickling further reduces the hotspots and can make them approachable by all, excepting the confirmed wuss.
Why don't you just choose a pepper that is not quite so hot? There are other ways to prove your manhood, lol!
[Reply]
Jbailey 11:01 AM 10-04-2009
When I make a batch of chili I use about 8 or so seeds and all. You get some heat but not to much. They're pretty tasty.:-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 11:51 AM 10-04-2009
I make sort of a mash out of them and use it sparingly in recipes the rest of the year.

Par boil one sliced carrot and about 1/2 of an onion. Throw that in a food processor with a bunch of habs and puree. Add some salt and vinegar. Put it in a jar and keep it refrigerated.
[Reply]
G G 11:52 AM 10-04-2009
I pick em when they're green and then I can eat them.
[Reply]
acarr 11:59 AM 10-04-2009
I like the Havana ones better.
[Reply]
Blindjimme 12:45 PM 10-04-2009
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
I make sort of a mash out of them and use it sparingly in recipes the rest of the year.

Par boil one sliced carrot and about 1/2 of an onion. Throw that in a food processor with a bunch of habs and puree. Add some salt and vinegar. Put it in a jar and keep it refrigerated.
Wow, this sounds good. I'll give this a shot :-)
[Reply]
SmoknTaz 02:26 PM 10-04-2009
Originally Posted by jerseystepup:
We got about 25 30 habaneros out of our garden and I have no idea what to do with these things. They are SOOO damn hot. Anyone have any good recipes or ideas for habaneros?
I have the same experience with mine this year too. Two bites and I'm done. I gave most of them to my neighbor so it wasn't a complete waste.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 03:14 PM 10-04-2009
Habanero and Mango salsa is damn good. The mango kills the heat a tad bit!
[Reply]
yourchoice 03:58 PM 10-04-2009
I love Habaneros in chili. With about 2 lbs of meat (usually venison for me) I use anywhere from 3-5 sliced very very very (you get the idea) thinly. Spices it up but doesn't make it unbearable. YMMV.
[Reply]
BengalMan 08:04 AM 10-05-2009
Mango Habanero salsa for one is a great as someone mentioned. I also do habaneros with chili as well. I use 4 lbs of meat 2 beef, 2 bison (very lean and flavorful). I use 4-6 habaneros and 4-6 jalapenos.
[Reply]
Parshooter 10:05 AM 10-05-2009
Chop one or two up fine and put them in your favorite cheesy potato recipe. My wife makes it all the time and everybody loves it.
[Reply]
Steve 10:09 AM 10-05-2009
I use them in my hot sauce. Sorry that I can't divulge the actual recipe, but play around with the ingredients that you like and see what you can come up with.

(Hint, I posted some pics a while back when I made some of my Frankensauce that might help with the ingredients :-))
[Reply]
Scothew 10:16 AM 10-05-2009
I've had a habenero jam before. Not sure what all was done or how it was prepared but would just spread it on white toast and omg it was good.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 10:23 AM 10-05-2009
Chili and/or Bloody Marys.
[Reply]
itsme_timd 10:29 AM 10-05-2009
One of my friends showed me simple way to dry these and make a great chili powder.

Heat your oven up as hot as it will go. Wash and remove the stems from the peppers. Make sure they are dry and then spread them on a heavy pan. Put the pan in the oven and turn the oven OFF. Let them stay in there for 24 hours.

You can take these and grind them with a mortar and pestle, I have a cheap coffee grinder that I use for spices. Put this in a jar and use it sparingly to heat things up!

FYI - Watch out for the airborne powder when grinding, it can be a kicker, too.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up