Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 52 of 270
« First < 242505152 535462102152 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
tuxpuff 08:54 AM 07-29-2010
Hey Adam...if you like smoked eggs...you have got to try this recipe for smoked egg salad...it's amazing...and super simple.

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_de...6&EpisodeID=35

I've done it with 6 eggs instead of 4...and 1 tsp of mayo per egg. And make sure the eggs are dry before smoking them.
[Reply]
T.G 09:13 AM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
Hey Adam...if you like smoked eggs...you have got to try this recipe for smoked egg salad...it's amazing...and super simple.

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_de...6&EpisodeID=35

I've done it with 6 eggs instead of 4...and 1 tsp of mayo per egg. And make sure the eggs are dry before smoking them.
Thanks Luke, I've actually thought about doing the eggs that way before, pre-boiled until they are almost fully cooked, then peeled and onto the grill to finish, but never bothered to try it.

I'm not really a big fan of egg salad or hard boiled eggs though, just once in a while.

Here's the deal behind the egg when I'm smoking peppers - it started out as a cheap, easy, foodsafe way for me to monitor how much smoke I was laying down. I needed something that would give me an indicator by changing color as I cooked and a white egg was the best thing I could think of at the time. Lots of surface area for smoke to deposit, so I could watch the color change, if it was darkening too fast and getting sticky when I put my finger on it, I was laying down too much smoke too fast, and would be at risk for very bitter peppers (plum wood can be kind of quirky). If it had runs in the deposits, then it meant things were running moist in the cook chamber and it was going to take awhile for the chilis to dry. If it split early on, I was running too hot too fast (this was before I bothered to add temp gauges to my pits). And so on... There was no worry about it contaminating the peppers or the pit since it was a piece of food that didn't splatter or drip. I used to just leave the thing in the entire cook and throw it away when I was done. Once I got the hang of it, I started pulling the thing out after about an hour and a half and using it as a snack with what was probably my fourth or fifth beer...
[Reply]
tuxpuff 09:20 AM 07-29-2010
Great idea :-)
[Reply]
OLS 06:22 AM 07-30-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
You should smoke a butt and use the meat to make the hog apple beans. Once you have those beans, you will judge all others by them. Thanks again Brent for ruining me :-)
I adapted this recipe to exclude the apples which I love fresh, but am not a fan of cooked.
I diced some peaches in there which I love every way you can make em. I am sure there is
no significant damage to the recipe. Put too much mustard though, and I am sure I am going to
hear about that one.:-) I got em in the fridge waiting for Saturday.
[Reply]
OLS 11:59 AM 07-31-2010
As usual, I get the meat off the grill and foiled up and THEN I remember that
if I do not photo the meato, I get a rash round here. Cooked up 4 racks of spares
today, plus a large foil pan of beans placed under under the meat, cooked
along the lines of the recipe above, the apple hog. Cep'n mine was with
peaches. Beans came out great, the ribs were 4 perfect racks, but I foiled
three before I remembered to get the camera. Still, better one photo than
none. Imagine this pure perfection, x4. Everything was cooked to be frozen
for a trip to the Smokies on Sunday. Who knows what day we will eat it.

I am much happier with my smoke ring this week. I kind of dropped the ball
a few weekends ago and it took me a while to figure out what I had done wrong
Mostly just inconsistent fire.
Attached: meat 30july1.jpg (69.4 KB) meaat 30 july2.jpg (95.5 KB) 
[Reply]
T.G 12:16 PM 07-31-2010
Seriously good looking stuff there Brad.

Even if you really only cooked one rack of ribs. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 01:02 PM 07-31-2010
Great lookin' ribs Brad!!!

I too like the bean recipe better with peaches and make them that way most of the time. 4 Time World MIM Whole Hog Champion Myron Mixon makes them in his restaurant using pretty much the same recipe with, of course since it is in GA, peaches. If they are good enough for Myron the are good enough for me!!!
[Reply]
Steve 01:19 PM 07-31-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:

I too like the bean recipe better with peaches and make them that way most of the time. 4 Time World MIM Whole Hog Champion Myron Mixon makes them in his restaurant using pretty much the same recipe with, of course since it is in GA, peaches. If they are good enough for Myron the are good enough for me!!!
x2!:-) :-):-)
[Reply]
T.G 01:23 PM 07-31-2010

Is THIS the recipe you guys are modifying? Or is there another one around here somewhere?
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:34 PM 07-31-2010
That be the one!!!
[Reply]
T.G 04:46 PM 07-31-2010
Thanks.
[Reply]
fxpose 01:02 PM 08-01-2010
Originally Posted by ucla695:
I decided to break in the new OTG over the weekend and tried making baby back ribs for the first time ever.

It was windy and took me a while to get the temp stabilized at 330* (according to the lid thermometer that came with the kettle). It was the lowest I could get it.

As far as the grill temp goes, I wanted to get it down to 250-275*, but I think the weather and the wind messed with it. Next time, I’ll try using 6 lit briquettes and a water pan over them and see if that helps.

Anyway, If I can find a way to get the temp down, I'll try a pork butt.
Mike, I think I know why you temp readings are high. The lid thermometer on your 26" OTG is mounted directly opposite the vents, on the other side of the lid, and sits almost directly above the coals. Using another thermometer through a vent hole should give you a much lower and accurate reading.
[Reply]
Mr B 02:33 PM 08-01-2010
Very nice lookin' ribs Brad.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 02:38 PM 08-01-2010
I did a case (8) of butts this weekend. I was cooking 4 for a family get together and figured I would put the rest in the freezer. Dang easy cook... on at about 9 Friday night off at about 1 yesterday afternoon. Gotta love a Spicewine and a Stoker!!!
[Reply]
ucla695 04:02 PM 08-01-2010
Originally Posted by fxpose:
Mike, I think I know why you temp readings are high. The lid thermometer on your 26" OTG is mounted directly opposite the vents, on the other side of the lid, and sits almost directly above the coals. Using another thermometer through a vent hole should give you a much lower and accurate reading.
That's some good thinking George. Thanks. I'm going to order the one you suggested.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:48 PM 08-01-2010
Paella Cabra on Friday night. That's goat to the rest of us. It sad to see how young this goat was, but it was tender and novel meat for me to use in Paella.

The whole front end of a goat works well in a smoker similar to a lamb shoulder, but is smaller. The back half of the goat does not fair as well in the smoker; tends to be tough.
[Reply]
Scothew 07:09 AM 08-02-2010
Cooked a couple of butts for a friends lake party. Turned out great. 11hrs on the smoker after a 24hr soak in the brine.
Attached: DSCF1273.jpg (120.1 KB) 
[Reply]
Stevez 07:56 AM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by Scothew:
Cooked a couple of butts for a friends lake party. Turned out great. 11hrs on the smoker after a 24hr soak in the brine.

Scott, I've never brined pork butts because they seem to be juicy enough with all of the fat content and the low/slow method. How much of a difference have you noticed when you brine them? I did 2 butts this weekend and a brisket via the overnight method and they were a massive hit for my family reunion. BTW, I use a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Thanks. Steve
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:08 AM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by Stevez:
Scott, I've never brined pork butts because they seem to be juicy enough with all of the fat content and the low/slow method. How much of a difference have you noticed when you brine them? I did 2 butts this weekend and a brisket via the overnight method and they were a massive hit for my family reunion. BTW, I use a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Thanks. Steve
The texture and saltiness are different from brining. You'll notice it on any meat you brine. I think it becomes "stringier" with brining.
[Reply]
Mr B 09:52 AM 08-02-2010
I did a case (8) of butts this weekend. I was cooking 4 for a family get together and figured I would put the rest in the freezer. Dang easy cook... on at about 9 Friday night off at about 1 yesterday afternoon. Gotta love a Spicewine and a Stoker!!!

Wow Brent, thats a lot o Pork. Sounds fun.
[Reply]
Page 52 of 270
« First < 242505152 535462102152 > Last »
Up