Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Injections
markem 12:11 PM 07-11-2014
Looks like maybe we need a thread on injections, since they are different than rubs - although often used in combination.

I plan to smoke a pork shoulder for pulled pork next week. One of the things that I like to do when cooking one in the crockpot is to use pear nectar instead of water for the liquid. If I'm using Dr Pepper than I don't do this.

I'm wondering if anyone has used fruit nectar as an injection and, if so, did you just use the nectar or did you put together a blend?

Recipes?
[Reply]
nutcracker 12:14 PM 07-11-2014
For a piggy go with apple.
[Reply]
markem 07:41 PM 05-05-2015
Okay, I'm doing an experiment on Thursday.

I am smoking a pork shoulder and plan to use an injection. So far, I am planning to blend up a can of chipotles in adobo, and add some apple cider vinegar. Anything else I should put in? In general, I don't sauce my pork after it's pulled (pun intended).
[Reply]
nutcracker 07:48 PM 05-05-2015
Mark - on the side you need some Ribeiro del Duero - awesome with BBQ pork
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:48 PM 05-05-2015
I have no input other than to say I look forward to hearing how this turns out.
[Reply]
The Poet 07:49 PM 05-05-2015
Meat injections? Uh, OK. Whatever. Not that there's anything WRONG with that.
[Reply]
T.G 09:02 PM 05-05-2015
Originally Posted by markem:
Okay, I'm doing an experiment on Thursday.

I am smoking a pork shoulder and plan to use an injection. So far, I am planning to blend up a can of chipotles in adobo, and add some apple cider vinegar. Anything else I should put in? In general, I don't sauce my pork after it's pulled (pun intended).
Curious to hear how this works out. The granular nature of the ground chipotle doesn't seem like it would spread much within the meat. You might have to inject many times in close proximity.

As for the vinegar, I've had deep fried turkey that was injected with the vinegar/oil "juice" from a big can (like 2-12 lb) of pickled jalapenos, onions and carrots. It was exceptional.
[Reply]
markem 10:17 AM 05-09-2015
Okay, Adam called it, but for a different reason. I have the standard needle on my injector and was unable to pull the sauce in without it getting clogged by bigger pieces. So I thinned it out some more and used some of it as a sop. Will use more of it as a sauce.

One note: when blending up a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, have a large amount of apple cider vinegar on hand. Let it sit for a few hours after blending and you will see it try to set up if there isn't enough vinegar.
[Reply]
Up