Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Good Eats>New smoker and 1st attempt at pulled pork
yourchoice 09:49 AM 08-13-2009
Man, that looks fantastic. A smoker will have to be in my future at some point.

Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
Been working all day but about to fire up a 07 Party 898 varnished from the winnings I got from the Belmont stakes contest yourchoice threw :-)
I hope you enjoyed the cigar! :-)
[Reply]
tuxpuff 09:56 AM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
Man, that looks fantastic. A smoker will have to be in my future at some point.

I hope you enjoyed the cigar! :-)
I certainly did. That was one tasty treat. Thanks again! :-)
[Reply]
cle_smoker 09:57 AM 08-13-2009
Hickory and apple. It's amazing how sweet the apple smells when I would put in some chunks.
I did some ribs a few weeks back with Peach and Apple. First time I had used Peach and it was phenomenal.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 10:05 AM 08-13-2009
Hickory and apple.
Good call, man. The multi-wood action is the best!
[Reply]
T.G 01:15 PM 10-08-2009
Final Product

That looks phenominal brother!

Do you remember what pit temp you were running?

Mental note, find a butcher out here that leaves more fat on the shoulder cuts - I now see why my pulls are always just a tad on the under-moist side, not dry, just not as moist as they should be.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 02:03 PM 10-08-2009
It ran 200-225 the entire time. And I agree...I always get the fattiest pork butt available. Now I'm hungry!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:41 PM 10-09-2009

Please tell me you had the exhaust open when the food went on there. Try to never choke the exhaust, only the intake to control temps.

Nice looking unit!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:44 PM 10-09-2009
It ran 200-225 the entire time. And I agree...I always get the fattiest pork butt available. Now I'm hungry!
I find that it's the cool down period is what makes the pulled pork really tendor (assuming it's fork tendor before taking off). I'll cover the butt on a pan with ceranwrap for 3 hours before pulling.

Some tie the butt with twine to keep it together and heat even. I am going to do that on my next one as I am not sold on it, but it makes sense.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 02:50 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:

Please tell me you had the exhaust open when the food went on there. Try to never choke the exhaust, only the intake to control temps.

Nice looking unit!
I usually keep it 1/2 way open. Can you elaborate why you would not want to choke it? I do control temp by using the intake.
[Reply]
LooseCard 10:57 AM 10-29-2009
First.... NICE JOB!
I started to drool, for pete's sake.

I usually keep it 1/2 way open. Can you elaborate why you would not want to choke it? I do control temp by using the intake.
The exhaust closure is bad, control from the intake is definitely better.

By using the Intake, you are controlling the fire.
You will learn better control, and save yourself the wood and fuel that would otherwise be a waste.
You'll learn the difference between a light smoke and a heavy smoke as well. You'll also be able to cook at even lower temps, as the heat will exit easier.

I've run at 180-200 until the meet hit the upper range, to add to the smoke penetration. One of my last smokes took 18 hrs, and had an unbelieveable taste. :-) :-) :-)

And, by the way, hickory and apple or hickory and cherry are the best combos for pulled pork!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:44 PM 11-07-2009
Originally Posted by LooseCard:
The exhaust closure is bad, control from the intake is definitely better.

By using the Intake, you are controlling the fire.
Exactly. It's all about controlling the fire. Outside of that, BBQ is set and forget.

Making food smoky is no problem when all it cooks with is wood and charcoal. Actually it's harder to keep it from tasting too smoky.
Wood type and ratio to charcoal determines that.

For sure you do not want stale smoke inside. I never choke the exhaust unless I am cold smoking and that may burn just 10 minutes.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up