Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>That ain’t a cigar. Now THIS is a cigar!
Linus 01:11 PM 10-24-2008
Cigar Name: Diamond Crown Maximus #1 (8 x 50)

Cigar Description: Various Dominican fillers surrounded by Ecuadorian wrapper

Cigar Strength: Full

Review of the Cigar itself: Ok. So I stole the line from Crocodile Dundee. But ya gotta admit, this is one big cigar (And we’re not just talking size here!) I was sent this cigar as a gift (although you can get it at Famous Smokes here or check your local B&M to see if they have it) and had kept it for about a month or so in the humidor. Looking at the cigar itself, it demands respect and patience. You want to take your time with this one. As I toasted the foot, I got wonderful whiffs of cedar and mild pepper scents. It was beautiful and I almost salivated in anticipation of what the cigar itself would be like. I’ve not been disappointed.

My first draw was filled with a variety of flavours, particularly hints of cedar and nuts (a walnut-flavour). The one thing I really had to watch was balancing it in the ashtray when I’d set it down between draws as I typed out this review. Given the size of the cigar and the size of my ashtrays, they were losing out at the beginning.

But it never really stayed in the ashtray too long as it was very enjoyable to smoke. By the time I had gotten through the first third (almost halfway on most Robustos that I usually enjoy), the hints of tastes of pepper started to weave into the other existing flavours. It was pleasant and it was hard to believe that I had reached this point of the cigar already. One thing remained consistent about this cigar: constant enjoyable flavour.

I rarely had to touch this one up as I continued, except when I ended up talking too long when I was on a work related conference call. The aroma of the cigar just called to me throughout the morning and early afternoon.

Although a full flavoured cigar, it didn’t leave any aftertaste nor was it overly smokey. And it did leave me with a warm feeling, eventhough my coffee had gotten a bit cold (it’s all of 57F in NYC and I smoke with the window open). The flavours of cedar, nuts and even some hints of various herbs seemed to come through. One thing about a complex cigar like this is that no one flavour stayed long enough to be the only flavour and that lead to a far more enjoyable flavour. The midde and last thirds seemed to almost go by at a whizz rate and before I knew it, I was left with a nub nearly burning my fingers. Almost like that huge meal and dessert concept where some go, “I can’t believe you ate the whole thing!” It was just so enjoyable it was hard to not smoke the whole thing.

I’m glad that I got to sit and enjoy this cigar is the solitude and peace, as peaceful as the streets of New York City can be, as it’s definitely one to savor.

Oh, and because this is such a big cigar, I had to have a few extra pictures. Image Enjoy

Enjoyed with: Water, a coffee (sugar and soy creamer) and some sunflower seeds to snack on.

Smoke time: approximately 3 hours (!)

Final Review Rating: 9.5/10

[Reply]
dunng 01:28 PM 10-24-2008
Wow, I never realized they made the Max in a #1... Thanks for the review! :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 01:54 PM 10-24-2008
Nice review. Makes me want to try one (although a shorter vitola will suffice):-)
[Reply]
CoroHo 02:05 PM 10-24-2008
That bad boy will get your attention for sure! Hopefully you've eaten a large meal or you will curse it while praying to the porcelain god. :-)

Great smoke!
[Reply]
zmancbr 03:11 PM 10-24-2008
Nice review... that is a true monster! :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 03:23 PM 10-24-2008
Great review thanks!!! 8x 50 might be too much for me.
[Reply]
Skywalker 03:47 PM 10-24-2008
Does it come with an engagement ring...

because that's a commitment!!
:-)

Very nice review!!!
[Reply]
Cigarmark 03:58 PM 10-24-2008
Never had the #1, but love the DCM!! Nice review!
[Reply]
Joan 04:24 PM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by Linus:

I'd hit it! :-)

Nice write up and pics! :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 04:27 PM 10-24-2008
Looks good, everyone else would have smoked two cigars in the same time.
:-):-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
nozero 04:31 PM 10-24-2008
Thanks for the review with pics! Another one to try out!

:-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 04:39 PM 10-24-2008
nice pics and nice review:-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 04:40 PM 10-24-2008

yeah thats a big cigar!
[Reply]
gnukfu 05:44 PM 10-24-2008
Looks great! One way to blow away an afternoon!
[Reply]
Scottw 05:46 PM 10-24-2008
Great review, great pics. Did you have to take a half day off to smoke this?
[Reply]
Linus 06:54 PM 10-24-2008
LOL.. thanks for the comments. Surprisingly for a cigar this size, the time went by far faster than expected. It's big on size but the flavour makes it big on enjoyment (LOL.. I feel like I'm an ad).

Scottw: I'm "off-platform" this week (this means not teaching in front of students) so I get to "work" from home. This week is mostly lab work and conference calls so it makes it easy to enjoy and still be productive. :-) I lurve mah job. :-)
[Reply]
TideRoll 07:48 PM 10-24-2008
I love DC and DCM, and the more there is to love, well, the more there is to love. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
CigarDoc 07:55 PM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Great review thanks!!! 8x 50 might be too much for me.
Thats what she said!!! (to me)
[Reply]
DPD6030 08:46 PM 10-24-2008
Nice review. I got a #4 waiting in my humi right now.
[Reply]
Linus 10:44 PM 11-25-2008
I got a fiver of the #1 (8x50) and had to enjoy one this evening. Awesome as usual. Rapidly becoming a favourite of mine. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up