Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »
General Discussion>So Politically Correct we can't talk?
TripleF 07:23 AM 12-19-2008
Just received and e-mail from a client (born and rasied here in the USA) stating:
I hope you and your family have a safe and prosperous Holiday and Merry New Year!

I'm like, HUH? WTH? So politically correct,........ not wanting to possibly offend anyone by actually saying Merry Christmas,.......... we can't even say Happy Holidays right.

Sheeeeeeeeeesh......

BTW, Merry Christmas!!!!

-
[Reply]
goalie204 07:27 AM 12-19-2008
Maybe....that's just how he says it...
[Reply]
TripleF 07:27 AM 12-19-2008
or spell.

Can a mod please change the p to an "o" in the title word "So"
[Reply]
Mark C 07:29 AM 12-19-2008
I went to Chik-fil-a the other day and the girl in the window wished me a Merry Christmas when she handed me my food. From a place that closes on Sunday I'm not surprised, but I like that :-)

I used to wish a Merry Christmas as a cashier at Best Buy. Several people told me they liked hearing that, nobody complained.
[Reply]
TripleF 07:31 AM 12-19-2008
Originally Posted by Mark C:
I went to Chik-fil-a the other day and the girl in the window wished me a Merry Christmas when she handed me my food. From a place that closes on Sunday I'm not surprised, but I like that :-)

I used to wish a Merry Christmas as a cashier at Best Buy. Several people told me they liked hearing that, nobody complained.

Here! Here!!

Or in this case Hear! Hear!!
[Reply]
massphatness 07:31 AM 12-19-2008
Personally, I'd rather have the holiday be merry and the new year be prosperous.
[Reply]
pnoon 07:38 AM 12-19-2008
Originally Posted by TripleF:
or spell.

Can a mod please change the p to an "o" in the title word "So"
Got it.

I wish all of you a pleasant end-of-year celebration of whatever and may your future endeavors have an optimal outcome. :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 07:41 AM 12-19-2008
If people want to be offended they will find a reason. They could say that the turning of the years, or the dating of the years, is based on religious grounds and that offends them. Or they come up with any other reason they can think off.

I dislike Christmas, but I am not offended by it. But I am not offended by the Hadj or Ramadan either. I just couldn't care less about any religious holidays (and that just might offend a lot of people too, I don't care).
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:43 AM 12-19-2008
Merry Christmas!
That wasn't hard to say. Heck, I can even say
Happy Hanukkah!
Happy Chinese New Year!!!

Didn't even blink an eye, that was so easy. I didn't hurt anyone by wishing them well, I didn't offend anyone by leaving them out, but if they want me to wish them happiness, I can do that, just greet me with your holiday greeting and I will return the same, with a smile on my face, and true intent that they do.

As far as PC BS goes, anyone that complains about someone saying Merry Christmas, or doesn't do it because they think it might offend someone needs a little rum and eggnog to loosen up, or... oh nevermind.

I just decided that I am going to wish every person I see today the heartiest "Merry Christmas!!" I can, and mean it. I might even throw in a hug or two to people I don't know, just to freak em out a little bit. I might even give some candy canes to some little kids.
[Reply]
Tombstone 07:44 AM 12-19-2008
Just received and e-mail from a client (born and rasied here in the USA) stating:
I hope you and your family have a safe and prosperous Holiday and Merry New Year!

I'm like, HUH? WTH? So politically correct,........ not wanting to possibly offend anyone by actually saying Merry Christmas,.......... we can't even say Happy Holidays right.

Sheeeeeeeeeesh......

BTW, Merry Christmas!!!!

-

TripleF how's it going. MERRY CHRISTMAS. I'm with you...i am tired of everyone trying to be PC...just be correct (who cares if it hurts someone's little feelings).
[Reply]
md4958 07:46 AM 12-19-2008
Merry Christmas Scotty!!!
and God bless us, everyone!
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 07:46 AM 12-19-2008
Im all about saying Marry Christmas, I can't stand the politically correct Happy Holidays.
[Reply]
md4958 07:49 AM 12-19-2008
my employees are instructed to wish everybody an Merry Christmas... none of this happy holidays bullchit! If I know a customer is Jewish, I will wish him a happy Hanukkah, and they in turn will wish me a Merry Christmas.

oh, they get Happy Easter too!

P.C. should stand for Petit Corona
[Reply]
pnoon 07:49 AM 12-19-2008
Originally Posted by Tombstone:
TripleF how's it going. MERRY CHRISTMAS. I'm with you...i am tired of everyone trying to be PC...just be correct (who cares if it hurts someone's little feelings).
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
Im all about saying Marry Christmas, I can't stand the politically correct Happy Holidays.
There is a difference between being overly PC and just plain insensitive. There is a time and place for everything. If I see someone who is obviously Jewish, I'm not going to wish them a Merry Christmas. Also, if I see someone who I'm pretty sure is not Christian, I may well wish them "Happy Holidays". Not to be politically correct but just ot be kind.
[Reply]
schnell987 07:55 AM 12-19-2008
Please don't be offended, but I can't reply to your question...(j/k):-).

Hopefully the pendulum will swing back soon.

Merry Christmas everyone!

And I hope that you also have a Happy, safe, prosperous and productive New Year!
[Reply]
macpappy 08:00 AM 12-19-2008
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
If people want to be offended they will find a reason. They could say that the turning of the years, or the dating of the years, is based on religious grounds and that offends them. Or they come up with any other reason they can think off.

I dislike Christmas, but I am not offended by it. But I am not offended by the Hadj or Ramadan either. I just couldn't care less about any religious holidays (and that just might offend a lot of people too, I don't care).
The world would be a lot more peaceful if other people would not get offended by what other people believe in. I thank you for not being offended
[Reply]
The Professor 08:06 AM 12-19-2008
I guess I'm not sure why an inclusive greeting between people who (a) may not share the same religious affiliation and (b) may not know each other's degree of religiosity or affiliation is a bad thing. Why is defaulting to a greeting that's inclusive rather than exclusive bad? I say "happy holidays" all the time and don't really understand why the email referenced in the OP is bad at all. Seems like a pleasant and thoughtful fellow, if you ask me.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 08:12 AM 12-19-2008

Sheeeeeeeeeesh......

BTW, Merry Christmas!!!!
Hey there TripleF, just as you're shocked by your client's well intended and yes, PC, greeting, it is quite possible that a bunch of people would get equally shocked by a presumptuous greeting of 'Merry Christmas'. You'd be surprised how many, even some Christians (I've heard).

I'm no fan of PC, as I'm sure some of you know, and I've got a very thick skin and am not easily offended myself. However, when I send out my holiday cards to my clients (and friends), I very clearly wish them a happy holiday and prosperous new year for good reason. The cards I choose to send are holiday/wintery cards with a very PC message because the Christian clients wouldn't like getting Hanukkah cards just as much as the Jewish clients wouldn't like getting Christmas cards and yep, the folks who celebrate Kwanzaa wouldn't like not being acknowledged either...and I've just covered a mere 3 faiths!

So, in order to address everyone in our big mix of a country (not to mention saving time and effort when I would have to buy separate cards and keep a difficult tally of who is what), I merely wish a simple 'Happy Holidays' to cover all my bases and not make anyone feel left out. Likewise, when I'm out and about, I wish people the same 'Happy Holidays' because I don't want to be presumptuous and assume something about a complete stranger. I wouldn't think someone would be offended by a well-intended 'Happy Holidays' though...

Even though, in a way, we all 'celebrate' Christmas in this melting pot of a great country, regardless of our faith (almost everyone I know has the day off, for instance, and we all shop the 'Christmas sales'...), I still respect someone's religious freedom and understand that some might take offense if I wish them 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Hanukkah' or 'Happy Kwanzaa' or 'Happy Ramadan' (whenever that is).

Make sense?
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 08:13 AM 12-19-2008
Christmas in the United States is a time of year, as well as just a holiday. In the United States you can have a Merry Christmas even if you don't celebrate the day. You can't get away from Christmas here unless you are delusional. It is in your face for months. Calling it "Season" or "Holiday" does not change what season or holiday you are really talking about. I am more offended by people who are thinking they are going out of their way not to offend anyone.

Merry Christmas to everyone.
[Reply]
dunng 08:14 AM 12-19-2008
Originally Posted by md4958:
Merry Christmas Scotty!!!
and God bless us, everyone!
:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »
Up