Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Boveda
Snook 11:48 AM 04-20-2020
So as I mentioned in my intro, I've been away from the hobby for a while, but all my cigars have been maintained with RH beads. I've never had a problem maintaining proper RH levels in my humidors.
Since I've been back, I've noticed a huge trend towards using Boveda packs. I've even had some shipped with my cigar orders. Are Boveda packs superior to RH beads or is this simply a new fad? My RH beads have lasted over 12 years without a single problem besides turning slightly yellow. Yes, I have to spray them once a month, but that beats having to re-purchase humidity packs. I don't know. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on that. No offense to boveda lovers out there, but I don't see how packs are suitable for long term storage.
[Reply]
Weelok 01:18 PM 04-20-2020
RH beads or bust. The packs are just some gel that release humidity but doesn’t absorb very well, eg can’t be recharged although I’ve tried.

The packs are great for shipping and air tight containers.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 03:50 PM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Weelok:
RH beads or bust. The packs are just some gel that release humidity but doesn’t absorb very well, eg can’t be recharged although I’ve tried.

The packs are great for shipping and air tight containers.
With respect, I recharge them all the time. I put a wet sponge with the green scrubby side up in the bottom of a plastic container . Then I pile packs on top. Takes a while but they will swell up larger than when you bought them.
[Reply]
Weelok 03:55 PM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
With respect, I recharge them all the time. I put a wet sponge with the green scrubby side up in the bottom of a plastic container . Then I pile packs on top. Takes a while but they will swell up larger than when you bought them.
Really!!!! That is good to hear!!! I’ve obviously been too impatient and just dunked them under water but they do little other then the packaging getting soaked. The gel should be able to be recharged same as the gel jars so stands to reason.

Well, patience is a virtue but I am a work in progress with regards to patience. Beads are a spray away from being recharged hah.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 03:55 PM 04-20-2020
Beads all the way!

You owe me a dollar, Michael.
[Reply]
Up