Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Sigarenplatform Grande Corona Especial
Don Fernando 03:18 AM 05-15-2011
A friend of mine was named mayor on a Dutch cigar board and to celebrate his election he had cigars made, Dutch dry cigars, with a band with their logo and he called it the "sigarenplatform grande corona especial". I don't know anything about the blend, who made it, I just know the size which is 5½x42. He asked me to review one, even though I am the owner & admin of a competitive board. I usually don't smoke dry cigars, I don't like them, but I can't refuse a request from a friend.

The wrapper is quite dark and it has a lot of veins. The construction is a bit soft. The cigar has a mild barnyard smell. The predraw is fine and I taste a nice and spicy, dry tobacco.

I taste coffee with some sweetness and autumn leaves. the flavors are full but surprisingly smooth for a dry cigar and mild musty. Usually dry cigars are sharp in flavor but what I taste in the first third isn't bad at all, I like it.

After a third I get that sharp flavor that I expected and I get an acidic flavor. The cigar is a lot less pleasant. The acid gets milder but the cigar stays sharp and spicy, this is exactly why I don't like dry cigars.

The smoke time is forty-five minutes, which is not bad for a dry cigar of this size. The draw is good and I get more smoke than expected. The light colored ash is coarse and reasonably firm for a short filler dry cigar. The burn is ok, only a little bit crooked. This cigar is medium flavored and medium bodied. Because it is a pre-cut short filler I got some small pieces of tobacco in my mouth while smoking.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, Dutch dry cigars aren't my thing

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 5 / 10
[Reply]
Up