Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Cohiba Robusto
nutcracker 06:54 AM 05-12-2014
So this weekend was more or less the first decent weather we’ve had in about 7 months. I finally got to sit on my bench in the trees and light up a stogie. It was a bitter-sweet moment, as having just sold the place. I only have a couple more weeks to take in the view in my backyard.

So I picked out a Cohiba Robusto. More or less a “benchmark” for Cuban smokes, as it has a defined strength and flavor profile that is pretty consistent, and other cigars can be easily compared. It is medium-full and falls definably between the Siglo series and the Behikes. It is for me a typical habano, and the cedar is always evident.

The cigar has a clear claro wrapper, with no defects at all. Firm, well constructed. Burns perfectly to the nub. Lightup was easy and the cigar started out with very pronounced woodland flavours – the cedar quite dominant. Once it hits mid-stride, this is a very nice cigar – very complex nut, bitter choc and coffee flavours. My wife helped this along by bringing out some chocolate covered espresso beans and a cup of medium roast Cuban coffee. The effects were quite synergistic, and everything picked up. It did help that the beans were freshly roasted and the coffee made by pour-over in the Chemex.

The Cubano Altura Lavado beans (from our local roaster )offers a very nice medium bodied earthy coffee.

The end of the cigar started with a slightly more acidic and citrus note. The finish is long, and the flavor hangs around for many hours.

I would conclude that every serious aficionado has to have a few of these in the humidor as a point of reference. However they do not represent value for money in Canada, in excess of $30 on the retail market.
Attached: robusto.jpg (117.9 KB) robust2.jpg (111.3 KB) kemmex.jpg (87.3 KB) 
[Reply]
Jitsupriebe 09:34 AM 05-12-2014
Always a good smoke in my book! Have a great day!!!
[Reply]
Subvet642 12:19 PM 05-12-2014
That was the stick that pushed me down the slope.:-)
[Reply]
scottdurand 09:10 PM 05-24-2014
I agree it's a benchmark.
[Reply]
Up