Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Need help finding a big humidor
Jon11 09:40 AM 07-25-2012
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a big tower humidor. Or is it possible to transform a closet into a humidor? Would like something big, where I can put boxes and boxes with a nice appearance. Thanks
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 09:44 AM 07-25-2012
How many cigars are you looking to store in this humidor?

Falconman posted an awesome thread with a wineador set-up that I'm eventually going to. My main reason is for box storage as well.
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 09:53 AM 07-25-2012
http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/...3000-Capacity/
[Reply]
Jon11 10:00 AM 07-25-2012
Eventually between 50-100 boxes. Want enough room for a good display.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:08 AM 07-25-2012
What is your budget?

Bob Staebell makes quality pieces.
http://www.aristocrathumidors.com
[Reply]
Jon11 10:46 AM 07-25-2012
No more than 5k....just want something really nice that will last a long time.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 10:48 AM 07-25-2012
A couple of our members have "Closet-a-dors" so it is possible to convert one successfully. However, if you're going for quality I would definitely recommend an Aristocrat Humidor :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:48 AM 07-25-2012
Somebody here turned a closet into a humidor before.

Here is another option
[Reply]
Ogre 10:51 AM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
A couple of our members have "Closet-a-dors" so it is possible to convert one successfully. However, if you're going for quality I would definitely recommend an Aristocrat Humidor :-)
:-):-)
[Reply]
markem 10:51 AM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by Jon11:
Originally Posted by pnoon:
What is your budget?

:-) Look at the mxt with a glass front. Mine is solid wood with no glass, special inlays and at the unadvertised 22.5" depth. Mine easily holds over 100 boxes and about 200-300 singles.

Mine looks like this:

[Reply]
md4958 10:53 AM 07-25-2012
What is your budget?

If that's your budget than an Aristocrat is probably for you. Bob makes some beautiful armoire and offers cooled units (might be helpful for your climate).

I would love an Aristo, but keep spending all my money on buying cigars :-) So I use this:
(Tower of Power) in conjunction with a vinotemp, and cooler.
[Reply]
Jon11 11:17 AM 07-25-2012
Thanks for the link to Bob's site....so you guys think that an aristocrat is definitely better than turning a closet into a walk-in?
[Reply]
markem 11:22 AM 07-25-2012
Turning a closet in to a walk in is difficult and expensive. You need to be able to make it essentially air tight and humidity tight. That means that you will probably need to redo the walls, ceiling and floor and probably have a custom door installed and then add the spanish cedar. You will also need to run power (a separate breaker is recommended) for fans, active humidity and such.

and you can't take it with you when you move.

A closet walk in would probably hold more. But you lose the closet and it will likely cost more than the custom humidor. At least that was my analysis 2 years ago when I went with the Aristocrat.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:23 AM 07-25-2012
Thanks for the link to Bob's site....so you guys think that an aristocrat is definitely better than turning a closet into a walk-in?
I think this depends on a whether you are looking for a piece of furniture and a display.

Given your location you will probably need cooling and this can get expensive in a closet. You will also need to wire the closet for the humidifier.
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:42 AM 07-25-2012
Aristocrat. I love mine! :-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 12:18 PM 07-25-2012
Another vote for an Aristocrat. Bob will customize it to your specs, and the quality is beyond compare. You'll end up with a cabinet that will last your lifetime.
[Reply]
markem 12:25 PM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
Another vote for an Aristocrat. Bob will customize it to your specs, and the quality is beyond compare. You'll end up with a cabinet that will last your lifetime.
Also note that Bob is honest and honorable. He talked me out of the temp control model even though I was pretty determined to get it. He will tell you if you need it and why. Be ready to talk about the temps in the place you want to keep it. If, in general, you don't let the house get over 78* (which is my setting in the summer), then he may talk you out of it. Cooling control for a cabinet is $$$$
[Reply]
Mikepd 12:32 PM 07-25-2012
What is your budget?

:-)

With $5k I would have no looks back and pick up the phone to call Bob now to get in line. Just remember if $5k is your hard line budget, you need to include the $500-800 shipping cost in there that it could be.
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 12:48 PM 07-25-2012
...anyone mentioned an Aristocrat humidor by Bob Staebell yet...??..:-)

Love mine; would by another tomorrow. Wonderful, functional cigar storage that's beautiful to look at....:-)
[Reply]
smokin5 02:06 PM 07-25-2012
If aesthetics aren't a priority, you could do what I did -
Took my old side-by-side refrigerator/freezer, and
filled the fridge side with 3lb.+ of beads.
And a bunch of boxes.

Fairly airtight, relatively insulated, it works great &
has lots of shelves for storage. And if I need to
expand space, I still have the freezer side.
Just don't plug it in.:-)

You can pick up an old refrigerator in the classifieds
for very cheap. Clean it, wipe it down with distilled
water, line it with spanish cedar if you want, & voila!

Then with the thousands of $$ you saved by not buying
an Aristocrat or such, you can buy lots more cigars.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up