Page 19 of 21
« First < 9171819 2021 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>What is your favorite Scotch Whisky
Islayphile 10:43 AM 05-04-2012
Originally Posted by Islayphile:
Which is why I love it so

:-)
Originally Posted by levrac68:
Myself included. I think it's heads and tails over Laphroaig and JW Double Black. (as far as smokey types go)
Laphroaig is not what it used to be....the 10 I mean

That medicinal, medicated bandaid flavor has muted signifigantly over the past few years IMO....whether or not that was done on purpose to attract more folks I don't know.

The Qtr Cask tastes like the 10 used to.

Now when I want a change from the Lagavulin I grab Ardbeg!

Damn, I'm getting mighty thirsty

:-)
[Reply]
ironchefscott 09:49 AM 06-12-2012
Glenroths, Highland park, Macallan, tend to be my favorites
[Reply]
Bill86 02:48 PM 06-15-2012
Alright I just bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and it is BEYOND wonderful. I understand this is a nice smoky, peaty Scotch, clearly I need more like this. Recommendations?
[Reply]
RWhisenand 03:52 PM 06-15-2012
I have really began enjoying Glenfiddich 15 YO Solera. I think it's as good or better then whiskeys costing 10 to 20 dollars more.

Maybe not quite as good as Oban, but at least as enjoyable as macallan.
[Reply]
billybarue 05:16 PM 06-15-2012
Lagavulin 16 - outright favorite. Followed by Ardbeg and Caol Ila.

Any Islay fans have an opinion on Finlaggan. Some stuff I've read speculate it is a young Lagavulin. For the price point at Trader Joes I always have a bottle around. I used to love Black Bottle (blend of all the Islays) but it has gotten much more expensive than it once was and, again, hard to find. I think Finlaggan is comparable.

I do like blends. Chivas 12 will always be my standby. It was my dad's drink. My brothers and I always kept a bottle of Royal Salute (21 yr Chivas) on hand for him, but he would drink it sparingly. He said in Vietnam GIs could get Royal Salute for $5/fifth - unbelievable. He had a bottle on his night stand the entire year he was there. 18 year Chivas is not much more than the 15 and worth the extra coin.

Dalmore, Highland Park 16, and Bunnahabhain are high on the list also and many others.
[Reply]
Garbandz 08:34 PM 06-15-2012
Islay has a nice dram in the Kilchoman,a fairly new distillery.

Clynelish has a lovely 14,try independent sources at cask proof for a real treat.

Glenfarclas 15 is really nice this season,rich and affordable.

Caperdonich is getting scarce,these will set you back a few bob,worth it.

Talisker is still unique,and some older casks are coming available.

The Arran has a bewildering range of finishes,port,barolo,sherry,who knows what else.

Look out for Daftmill,distilling for several years,but nothing released yet.See their site,it is interesting.

Longrow is still the most unusual dram,a product of the Springbank firm,itself a legendary company.Try the cask proof,you can thank me later............
[Reply]
TNT009 08:38 PM 06-15-2012
Ardbeg Alligator
[Reply]
Jbailey 11:18 PM 06-15-2012
Anything by Jura, Glenfidich and Glenfarclas.
[Reply]
Islayphile 05:03 AM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Alright I just bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and it is BEYOND wonderful. I understand this is a nice smoky, peaty Scotch, clearly I need more like this. Recommendations?
Ardbeg & Lagavulin are what you're looking for
[Reply]
Bill86 06:10 AM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by Islayphile:
Ardbeg & Lagavulin are what you're looking for
I was just looking at the Ardbeg site and according to their flavor wheel bottle chooser I'll need to grab a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:59 PM 06-16-2012
Had this recently at a friends place, took a pic to make sure I remember what it was because it was off the hook!
[Reply]
Tredegar 01:18 PM 06-19-2012
Longmorn 15 year old. Unfortunately it has been discontinued. I am still on a quest to find a few more bottles before they disappear for good.
[Reply]
Garbandz 01:19 PM 07-04-2012
Longmorn can be amazing,find some Linkwood if you can,Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is simply amazing,layers of flavor,and my best cost/dram winner........
Ardbeg Uigeadail is legendary..........

I have found that age is not always the way to judge a dram,a 10 or 12 year old can beat an older bottle in the value for cost battle. Excessive age or finishing can ruin good Scotch.

Do try higher proof bottlings though,just like bourbon,you get more flavor at higher proof.

Check this site.........www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com
[Reply]
RHerrington 08:33 AM 07-05-2012
Recently finished a bottle of the Cragganmore 12 year that made it's way to near the top of my list, and it's in the company of the Balvenie 17 year and Oban 14, and the Aberlour a'bunadh. Such great scotches, all of them. :-)
[Reply]
jjmitchem 05:46 PM 08-21-2012
I know this is a few years old but I just saw it and thought it was great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnSIp...e_gdata_player
[Reply]
SteveH 06:53 PM 08-21-2012
Gotta check out Lagavulin 12 cask strength - mighty fine.

That said, Kilchoman promises to be one of Islay's finest - I try to support them whenever I can :-)
[Reply]
JohnRogers 12:09 PM 08-26-2012
The Dalmore: Grand Reserva, it gives me everything the Cigar Malt did at over half the price. I like with or without a stick.
[Reply]
zappaFREAK 02:38 PM 08-26-2012
Was a huge fan of JW blue till I discovered Oban
A third the price and just as good!!!
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 02:51 PM 08-26-2012
Originally Posted by zappaFREAK:
Was a huge fan of JW blue till I discovered Oban
A third the price and just as good!!!
Which Oban are you referring to?
[Reply]
Frodo 06:57 AM 08-27-2012
I think there's only the 14 and the DE unless we're talking IBs.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 21
« First < 9171819 2021 >
Up