Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>What's the best-working, prettiest, off-the-shelf desktop humi < $400?
ColdCuts 09:11 PM 04-21-2022
Hey, Y'all! It's been a number of years since I popped in. What'd I miss? :-)

On my end, buncha stuff happened. I changed jobs. And, my wife gave birth to our first child--who, incidentally, turned five months old just today! I hope everyone in the Asylum has been great.

Anyhoo, the topic. Over the years, I've had my share of wineadors, coolidors, and tupperdors. Now, I finally want to buy a pretty wooden box. Here's the catch. I also want it to work great. AND, I want to keep it under $400.

Is a Daniel Marshall Ambiente 65 the answer? I do like that they're made in the USA. Do they live up to the hype? Alternately, I'm thinking something from the Savoy Executive line might fit the bill. However, in both cases, I only know what their marketing says so I'm looking to you fellas for some practical knowledge. Would you advise against either of those boxes? Is there another contender?

Before anyone says Waxing Moon, those start at $510 and I'd have to wait, Lord knows how long. I'm looking for something I can have shipped to my door inside of a week, is pretty to look at, and seals like a vault.

Alright, whatcha got? :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:52 PM 04-22-2022
I'd check for something used on eBay or national Craigslist search. Could find a Dunhill, Elie Bleu or something really nice.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 01:44 PM 04-22-2022
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I'd check for something used on eBay or national Craigslist search. Could find a Dunhill, Elie Bleu or something really nice.
That’s another angle. Good idea. Are you not a fan of the Daniel Marshall Ambiante or the Savoy Executive? Or are you simply thinking outside of the [cigar] box?
[Reply]
T.G 10:17 PM 04-22-2022
"What's the best-working, prettiest, off-the-shelf desktop humi < $400?"

2 x $9.99 @ Wal-Mart for the good lock and lock containers
$the rest @ vendor of your choice for as many boxes of Cuban Trini's as you can get

Shinny...
[Reply]
ColdCuts 12:11 PM 04-23-2022
Originally Posted by T.G:
"What's the best-working, prettiest, off-the-shelf desktop humi < $400?"

2 x $9.99 @ Wal-Mart for the good lock and lock containers
$the rest @ vendor of your choice for as many boxes of Cuban Trini's as you can get

Shinny...
Oh, yeah, I know. But I'm looking to get a wooden box this time. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:41 PM 04-23-2022
Originally Posted by ColdCuts:
Hey, Y'all! It's been a number of years since I popped in. What'd I miss? :-)

On my end, buncha stuff happened. I changed jobs. And, my wife gave birth to our first child--who, incidentally, turned five months old just today! I hope everyone in the Asylum has been great.

Anyhoo, the topic. Over the years, I've had my share of wineadors, coolidors, and tupperdors. Now, I finally want to buy a pretty wooden box. Here's the catch. I also want it to work great. AND, I want to keep it under $400.

Is a Daniel Marshall Ambiente 65 the answer? I do like that they're made in the USA. Do they live up to the hype? Alternately, I'm thinking something from the Savoy Executive line might fit the bill. However, in both cases, I only know what their marketing says so I'm looking to you fellas for some practical knowledge. Would you advise against either of those boxes? Is there another contender?

Before anyone says Waxing Moon, those start at $510 and I'd have to wait, Lord knows how long. I'm looking for something I can have shipped to my door inside of a week, is pretty to look at, and seals like a vault.

Alright, whatcha got? :-)
Daniel Marshall "deals" section, bought a humidor from them for about 50% of list because there was an imperfection in the varnish, on the back and so small even knowing here it was it was hard to see. Not saying everyone of them is like that but they are close.
[Reply]
T.G 05:48 PM 04-23-2022
Oh, yeah, I know. But I'm looking to get a wooden box this time. :-)
Trini's come in wooden boxes
[Reply]
ColdCuts 06:53 PM 04-23-2022
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Daniel Marshall "deals" section, bought a humidor from them for about 50% off list because there was an imperfection in the varnish, on the back and so small even knowing here it was it was hard to see. Not saying everyone of them is like that but they are close.
Well, I went and did it. I did a bunch of poking around and found a great price on CI so I pulled the trigger. I qualified for free shipping but wanted it sooner so paid $11 for shipping. All said and done, I got the Ambiente 65, a whole bunch of Bovedas, and the expedited shipping and my total came to $399. :-)

Originally Posted by T.G:
Trini's come in wooden boxes
That, sir, was freaken funny. Well played. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:43 AM 04-24-2022
That’s another angle. Good idea. Are you not a fan of the Daniel Marshall Ambiante or the Savoy Executive? Or are you simply thinking outside of the [cigar] box?
I am not a fan of large desktop humidors and would personally have a more heirloom brand like Dunhill, Louis Vuitton, etc...

That way, when it's time to move to a cabinet, you have cool desktop humidor for singles or cigars you want to smoke without getting int boxes.
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 05:30 AM 04-30-2022
Congratulations on the new addition to the family Dave.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 11:19 AM 04-30-2022
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro:
Congratulations on the new addition to the family Dave.
Aw, thanks Patrick! I appreciate it, Bud. I hope you're doing great! :-)
[Reply]
Up