Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor temperature and humidity.
cigarmarcfl 11:01 AM 08-26-2015
I bought a humidor. I also bought the Humi Care Hygrometer, Bead Jar and Seasoning Wipes. The temp in the humidor stays at 68 and the humidity is around 74. I seasoned it per their instructions and then filled the jar with purified water. The temp and humidity fluctuates throughout the day. I have about 30 Makers Choice, a Behike and a few CAO Brazillia's in it. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for helping this newbie!
[Reply]
galaga 11:20 AM 08-26-2015
OK, my turn.

I am curious that you filled the bead jar with water. I am unfamiliar with the bead jar but if it was full of the humidity beads that I use, I would only have wet the beads, not saturated them. Other than that, you may have to wait a fair amount of time for the humidity to settle down, as on the order of a week or so. What % beads did you get? Your temp will fluctuate with the weather. And also, read the stickies at the top of the page in this forum and be patient.
[Reply]
dijit 11:42 AM 08-26-2015
A lot of the difference could also depend on the size of the bead jar and the size of the humidor. Beyond that what galaga said is dead on.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:10 PM 08-26-2015
I'm guessing the bead jar has the type of beads you can find at local craft stores, that will absorb water. I ran them in my Hydra knockoff to replace the foam. They're not like Heartfelt or HCM beads, where they're at a certain % humidity level.
[Reply]
cigarmarcfl 01:28 PM 08-26-2015
The bead jar is the 4 oz bead jar from Humi Care with blue beads in it. It states that it would keep at 65-70%. I just spoke to my roommate and she says it's at 78 degrees and 74% humidity. Should I pour some water out? I'm not good with patience or I would've read the directions where it says to put a small amount of water in it!! But i got a new toy and wanted to play with it!! I've had it for about two weeks.

Thanks guys.
[Reply]
shilala 01:37 PM 08-26-2015
You should pour ALL the water out, Marc.
There shouldn't be any more water in there than the gel can absorb.
I'd go so far as letting them dry out a bit more in a colander or something.
Good Luck!!! :-)
[Reply]
cigarmarcfl 01:40 PM 08-26-2015
Thanks Scott. I'll do that as soon as I get home. Are they supposed to stay dry?
[Reply]
dijit 02:59 PM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by cigarmarcfl:
Thanks Scott. I'll do that as soon as I get home. Are they supposed to stay dry?
Not dry but no standing water in the container. I would be concerned with the temp as well if I read that 78 degrees right.
[Reply]
dijit 03:00 PM 08-26-2015
The high temperature will also lend itself to higher humidity readings.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:00 PM 08-26-2015
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620:-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 06:11 PM 08-26-2015
All the advice above is good. I'd just amplify the point that it takes quite a while (days) to stabilize. And, the more times you open it to peek at the hygro reading, the longer it will take. Pour out the excess water and take a reading once a day for a week. Then, report in.
[Reply]
cigarmarcfl 08:13 PM 08-26-2015
I poured the beads into a colander and drained the water out, then poured the beads onto a few paper towels. Put the beads back into the jar. It now reads 73%/75 degrees. Unfortunately, because I'm not a patient person, I keep opening the humidor and checking on it. I'll leave it alone until tomorrow.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:30 AM 08-27-2015
Unfortunately, because I'm not a patient person, I keep opening the humidor and checking on it. I'll leave it alone until tomorrow.
We've all been there. Once you get the humidity where you want it, don't fret over the occasional spikes/dips in humidity levels. It happens. Cigars are resilient. They can take those fluctuations and will be just fine. It's long term exposure to those conditions that could eventually affect them.

Heck, my coolers run about 60-61% during the winter, because the furnace dries the house out. Even for the couple of months they're at that humidity they smoke fine (some people even prefer them at that level). Come spring, the coolers bounce back to 64-65%, right at my preferred point.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:58 AM 08-27-2015
Out of curiosity -- what is the ambient humidity and temperature in the room where you keep your humidor? If the values in the room are close to the values that you are seeing inside your humidor then you do not want the Humi Care gel "beads" to be wet at all -- you want to absorb moisture, not release it.
[Reply]
cigarmarcfl 07:28 AM 08-27-2015
I dont know what the humidity of the room is, but the room temp is anywhere from 75-77. I live in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. The current outdoor humidity is 74%
[Reply]
T.G 07:31 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I'm guessing the bead jar has the type of beads you can find at local craft stores, that will absorb water. I ran them in my Hydra knockoff to replace the foam. They're not like Heartfelt or HCM beads, where they're at a certain % humidity level.
That's basically what the Humi-Care bead jars are. They are super-absorbent polymer (SAP) gel chunks, it's the same stuff that is in the beads that expand when you get them wet so you can fill a vase and stick plants in them, the powder inside that water pillows, the gel inside xikar humidifiers, etc... Basically a horrible misnomer by the marketing department at Cigars International (they own the Humi-Care line).

They kind of run around high 60's to low 70%s RH, but they aren't all that accurate. They are good for leaky humidors, since they hold a ton of water and release moisture pretty rapidly. They will absorb moisture from the air, but only very slowly.
[Reply]
T.G 07:31 AM 08-27-2015
I dont know what the humidity of the room is, but the room temp is anywhere from 75-77. I live in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. The current outdoor humidity is 74%
Is the room air conditioned? AC will dehumidify the air.
[Reply]
cigarmarcfl 07:38 AM 08-27-2015
Yes, the room is air conditioned. I noticed that when I emptied out the water from the jar, the beads were huge Probably the result of retaining all that water.
[Reply]
T.G 07:43 AM 08-27-2015
Yes, the room is air conditioned. I noticed that when I emptied out the water from the jar, the beads were huge Probably the result of retaining all that water.
[pedantic]
They're not beads. They are a hydrated gel matrix.
[/pedantic]

Yeah, SAP is nuts like that, some of them will absorb something like 1000x their weight/size in water. I've seen some that a teaspoon's worth will hold a gallon of water.
[Reply]
shilala 08:08 AM 08-27-2015
CI calls them beads, Adam. I looked them up earlier.
That's where that's coming from.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up