Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Anybody else prefer soft flame?
Pat1075 12:11 PM 05-15-2010
I'm a soft flame guy most of the time. Xikar exII for my day to day lighter. It holds up to the wind very well. and with a little practice works great for touch ups.
[Reply]
chris66 12:49 PM 05-15-2010
Soft flame gets my vote. I very rarely/ never smoke outside and the torch lighters i do have seem to die quickly. I have soft flame lighters that i have had for 20 years.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 01:40 PM 05-15-2010
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
Me too, that's why I love my EverTorch. A mostly wind-resistent torch for the initial toasting of the foot and a soft flame for the final light.
I'm debating on picking up one of these just that purpose. I love my torch, but I do like a soft flame for touch ups and the final light as well. I'm using two lighters now, but I would like to get the 2-in-1 dealy too.
[Reply]
kydsid 03:50 PM 05-15-2010
well do take into account the z torh operates with a zippo like wheel to light the soft flame then you press a button to start the torch. if the soft flame is blown out then no torch. it can be a bit tricky in the wind to get the torch started.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
mithrilG60 04:57 PM 05-15-2010
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa:
I'm debating on picking up one of these just that purpose. I love my torch, but I do like a soft flame for touch ups and the final light as well. I'm using two lighters now, but I would like to get the 2-in-1 dealy too.
I love mine, always works like a charm. The one thing I would do different is I wouldn't get one of the one's with the printed pattern on it. I'm pretty hard on finishes and mine's now looking a bit worst for wear. Cosmetically I would have been better off with the brushes finish, but ultimately that's just a minor issue.

I haven't used the Zippo insert so I can't really comment on how the two solitons compare to each other.
[Reply]
MichaelJ 05:56 PM 05-15-2010
Originally Posted by Brad:
Couple weeks ago I purchased my first soft flame lighter, up until then I always used torches, and I think I actually like the soft flame better. Maybe it's my imagination, but I seem to get a better and more even burn on sticks lit with the soft flame verses a torch. Less touch ups, and less jagged on the edges of the burn line.

Maybe I just suck at lighting sticks properly. Has anyone else noticed this?

I've just made the switch too. Couldn't agree more.
[Reply]
OLS 09:16 AM 05-19-2010
I like to threadjack, so I picked the proper type thread to JACK. First off, I prefer the soft flame
provided I am in a low wind sitcho. But the ligher someone was showing off in another thread, the
Ever-Torch looked like a DUAL ACTION, which sould be ideal for me.

REASON I thread jacked was this website selling butane canisters said this:

They require the highest quality butane. Anything else is just like putting diesel fuel into an F-16.
Apparently they do not know that jet fuel basically IS DIESEL fuel, lol.
[Reply]
T.G 09:45 AM 05-19-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
I like to threadjack, so I picked the proper type thread to JACK. First off, I prefer the soft flame
provided I am in a low wind sitcho. But the ligher someone was showing off in another thread, the
Ever-Torch looked like a DUAL ACTION, which sould be ideal for me.

REASON I thread jacked was this website selling butane canisters said this:

They require the highest quality butane. Anything else is just like putting diesel fuel into an F-16.
Apparently they do not know that jet fuel basically IS DIESEL fuel, lol.
Jet Fuel, with the partial exception of the specialty fuels burned by some experimental and very specialized aircrafts, is actually predominately kerosene.

While You can burn some jet fuel in certain diesel engines, doing it the other way around usually doesn't work out too well.
[Reply]
agouraman 08:44 PM 06-27-2013
here is my thought
the burn temp of the torch is sooo much higher than the soft flame. Hence its my thought (call me mental) that the torch burns most of the oils out of the cigar when you light it. I can definitely taste the difference and so can my friends...Maybe I have turned my friends psycho?

long ashes and great clouds of smoky enjoyment to all
[Reply]
688sonarmen 09:46 PM 06-27-2013
I have taken a back to basics approach as of late. Coolidors instead of a cabinet, sans hydrometer. Pocket knife instead of a cutter, and a bic lighter or matches. I realized that for me I spent a lot of money on butane and lighters because that's what I saw everyone else doing. The bic worked in the beginning and it works better for me now.

And holy thread bump!
[Reply]
Robulous78 09:58 PM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by kydsid:
i have a dual action insert for my zippo. best of both worlds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Where did you find this?
[Reply]
oooo35980 10:38 PM 06-27-2013
I generally buy torch lighters but will use anything on hand in a pinch.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:55 PM 06-27-2013
Use whatever floats your boat. Fire is fire, its not like the cigar knows how its being lit. As far as the heat from a torch affecting the oils, after 1/2inch the cigar is burning on its own. How would this affect the oils? :-)

Whether its a $1 cheapie or a 1492, I've never noticed any difference in any lighting method. :-)
[Reply]
bonjing 11:11 PM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
Where did you find this?

Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
http://www.stogietorch.com/Z-Torch.html

Try here :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 05:20 AM 06-28-2013
^ Ya what he said. Pete hooks me up when I need one.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:49 AM 06-28-2013
I prefer soft flame but it requires the perfect environment to be worth while.
[Reply]
shopkins82 03:10 PM 07-03-2013
I'll use a soft flame on small vitolas and/or when indoors, but my only soft-flame lighter is a super-cheap Chinese Dupont knock-off... though I'm giving strong consideration to an EverTorch.
[Reply]
bretted432 09:08 PM 07-03-2013
I'm definitely one for a soft flame, given the proper conditions, of course.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up