Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidity problems
jam 06:47 AM 05-31-2009
I am having alot of problems with my humi the humidity will not go below 70 with nothing in it , no beads or nothing
i have a 3 draw 600 count with a glass door it was maintaining 69 all winter once the heat came everything went crazy

1- calibrated the hygrometers
2- tried empty cigar boxes to remove some humidity no good
3- moved it yesterday to my basement that fixed the temp 66 from 75
4- i took all the cigars out and put them in a cooler until i get stabilized
5- i tried dry beads no good
any ideas

Thanks
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:21 AM 05-31-2009
I would measure the RH outside the humidor as well and see if they track. One possibility is a slow leak that is making itself felt when you shut off your heating system, which would tend to raise the RH in your living space.

Moving the 'dor to the basement probably added a new variable. When the air in the 'dor cools, the RH will go up a little, at least until everything equilibrates again.

Bob
[Reply]
bobarian 11:17 AM 05-31-2009
Why type and Rh beads are you using? How are your cigars smoking? Has there been a change in the way they smoke?
[Reply]
skullnrose 12:07 PM 05-31-2009
While temp may stabilize quickly the RH will take time. If your sticks have been at a higher RH they will take time to stabilize to a lower RH so even if you get the box to an RH you like returning the sticks will raise the RH for a period of time. While a 70 RH is a little high take notice on how your sticks feel and how they are smoking. Also try taking the RH in an empty box closed inside the humidor to see what RH you are reading. Give it time at your new location. Hope you get things worked out keep us posted.
[Reply]
jam 04:31 AM 06-01-2009
Thanks for the reply , I have 65% beads. right now i have no beads in the humi and its
66/71 top shelf
66/72 middle shelf
66/73 bottom shelf
the cigars with no cellophane and like sponges and that makes me crazy ........
[Reply]
DPD6030 04:51 AM 06-01-2009
Originally Posted by jam:
Thanks for the reply , I have 65% beads. right now i have no beads in the humi and its
66/71 top shelf
66/72 middle shelf
66/73 bottom shelf
the cigars with no cellophane and like sponges and that makes me crazy ........
Have you tried drying out the beads and then put them in to suck up some of the humidity? If not I'd try that and see if it helps. :-)
[Reply]
jam 04:34 PM 06-01-2009
I have tried to dry out the beads , i tried the blower and the microwave any other ways
[Reply]
TripleF 04:40 PM 06-01-2009
How are they smoking? I mean, those numbers aren't really that bad. Imagine what it's like here in central FLORIDA.
[Reply]
RaiderinKS 04:57 PM 06-01-2009
I can't believe nobody has asked this, but what kind of hygrometer are you using? If it is an analog needle, ditch it and get a Western Caliber III. It makes things so much easier, primarily because you can quickly and easily measure the RH in your room, etc etc.
[Reply]
DPD6030 05:24 PM 06-01-2009
Originally Posted by RaiderinKS:
I can't believe nobody has asked this, but what kind of hygrometer are you using? If it is an analog needle, ditch it and get a Western Caliber III. It makes things so much easier, primarily because you can quickly and easily measure the RH in your room, etc etc.
:-) or an Oregon scientific wireless station. It measures the ambient humidity and you can have up to 3 sensors that will show inside the humidor, cooler or vino that you have.
[Reply]
jam 05:36 PM 06-01-2009
I have 6 of the round adjustable digital one forgot the name lol and changed all the batteries and calibrated all with the broveda bag l
[Reply]
jam 05:38 PM 06-01-2009
Originally Posted by TripleF:
How are they smoking? I mean, those numbers aren't really that bad. Imagine what it's like here in central FLORIDA.
the singles not in cellophane are like sponges the bigger gauge smokes crack and unfold the others seem ok but i like 67 to 69
[Reply]
shilala 06:58 PM 06-09-2009
Put the whole shooting match in a garbage bag and use damp-rid to suck out the water. You could also have a woefully inadequate amount of beads.
When you dry your beads, test them before returning them to the humi.
Put them in a ziplock for and hour with your hygro.
You have no way of knowing if you are getting them dried out or not.
You really gotta make sure you cover all your bases when you're trying to fix a problem, and you've left a lot of holes in your info you provided.
The internal dimensions of your humi and amount of beads is a big deal.
How old are the beads and what condition are they in?
What do you have the beads in?
That's all really important stuff.
[Reply]
jam 04:41 AM 06-10-2009
the unit is 35x22x16 with a glass front New insulation around door and 2 oust fans a cigar oasis and 15 silica gel package in draw below. I put the humi in a room with AC running all day long, i have no humidification units at all for 2 weeks now here are the readings inside
top self 65/73
middle shelf 66/72
bottom shelf 65/72

its only a year old worked perfect all winter once the weather outside changed my humi rose everyday i tried the humi in each rooms and no luck also the beads are 65% and there only a year old

i tried to put the garbage bag over the humi and the humi is a lot bigger then contractor bags so i have to find bags that big ,this is my last chance i am gonna put a hygo in the room now and go to work

Thanks for your help
Attached: joeshumi.jpg (61.4 KB) 
[Reply]
s15driftking 07:24 AM 06-10-2009
im also havign humidity problems in my vino ever since i plugged the drain. the humidity fluctuates 8 percetage points between 58-66 % at random points in the day.

i got home from work and it was at 66%... i woke up this morning and it was 61%. I am using a cigar oasis.

Any insight?
[Reply]
Up