Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Vinotemp Humidity problem !! Neep help
borndead1 09:04 AM 04-25-2009
I prefer my cigars closer to 60% than 70%. I shoot for 62-65%. If you can get into the mid 60s, your cigars will be fine, they will not dry out, and will burn and draw better than they will at 70% or more. Just my :-)
[Reply]
G G 09:18 AM 04-25-2009
Originally Posted by borndead1:
I prefer my cigars closer to 60% than 70%. I shoot for 62-65%. If you can get into the mid 60s, your cigars will be fine, they will not dry out, and will burn and draw better than they will at 70% or more. Just my :-)
:-)I have a vino and my humidity is a few points diff from the top and bottom. I don't worry about it.:-)
[Reply]
goalie204 09:20 AM 04-25-2009
I obsessed and went crazy with humidity when i just started, now i dont care :-) My hygros are a bit different, this is definitely not an exact science, best advice i was ever given about it was "relax" - i did, and now all is well :-)
[Reply]
md4958 09:43 AM 04-25-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Just a slight correction. Humidity rises. Humid air is air with a lot of water vapour. Water vapour is a gas that is lighter than air so humid air is lighter than dry air. It might feel heavier but it isnt.
I stand corrected.
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 11:23 AM 04-25-2009
Originally Posted by borndead1:
Yes the cigars that are in my vinotemp are going to be aged and put away for awhile. That is why I am trying to have the humidity at 70%RH. These are not my everyday cigars.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:57 AM 04-25-2009
Originally Posted by goalie204:
I obsessed and went crazy with humidity when i just started, now i dont care :-) My hygros are a bit different, this is definitely not an exact science, best advice i was ever given about it was "relax" - i did, and now all is well :-)
:-) Give that man a prize! Cigars are for smoking and collecting, not for stressing. There are many differing views on long term(10yrs+). To my understanding most Europeans prefer a higher Rh whereas in Hong Kong several major collectors keep their stuff at closer to 50 degrees and 50% rh. IMHO stability is more important than the exact storage conditions. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 08:31 PM 04-25-2009
I wouldn't sweat it. Give the beads a little time to do their thing. :-)
[Reply]
rizzle 12:03 PM 04-26-2009
I have 2 lbs of 65% beads in mine and was having a hard time getting the RH down there. I dropped the temp in the vino by a few degrees and now she's rock solid at 65%. Try that.
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 04:26 PM 04-26-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
I have 2 lbs of 65% beads in mine and was having a hard time getting the RH down there. I dropped the temp in the vino by a few degrees and now she's rock solid at 65%. Try that.
So what did you put the tempature to on the vinotemp ? What does the lights say on the top ?
[Reply]
rizzle 10:22 AM 04-27-2009
Originally Posted by Mirrorlure7m:
So what did you put the tempature to on the vinotemp ? What does the lights say on the top ?
Display reads 63, my hygro's say 65-66. Seems like I also remember someone a while back saying the temp reading on their unit wasn't right either. Give it a shot and see.
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 09:51 PM 05-03-2009
Well I received a Calibration Kit from Heartfelt for my hygrometers. And they are dead on. They are perfect. My room tempature is at 77 degrees and around 40% RH if this helps any As of now I have the Vinotemp set to 66 degrees which is the highest temp setting it can be set to . And my Humidty is at 74% on the bottom and 69 degrees ..And 65 % humidity and 72 degrees at the top of the unit. I have dried the 1 pound bag of 70% RH beads out on the bottom of the unit and then dried out the 1 pound of 70% RH beads I have on the top of the unit and just added a little bit of distilled water to the beads at the top. So now what should I do ? Becuase it is 10 % RH difference from the bottom to the top.
[Reply]
RonC 08:45 AM 05-04-2009
a Johnson temperature controller will help. setting the temp at 70 will make the unit run less, and your relative humidity will drop a few % as the temp rises 2 or 3 degrees. Next step would be a fan to circulate the air.
[Reply]
bobarian 01:38 PM 05-04-2009
Well I received a Calibration Kit from Heartfelt for my hygrometers. And they are dead on. They are perfect. My room tempature is at 77 degrees and around 40% RH if this helps any As of now I have the Vinotemp set to 66 degrees which is the highest temp setting it can be set to . And my Humidty is at 74% on the bottom and 69 degrees ..And 65 % humidity and 72 degrees at the top of the unit. I have dried the 1 pound bag of 70% RH beads out on the bottom of the unit and then dried out the 1 pound of 70% RH beads I have on the top of the unit and just added a little bit of distilled water to the beads at the top. So now what should I do ? Becuase it is 10 % RH difference from the bottom to the top.
Relax and have a smoke. Things are fine. :-)
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 05:29 PM 05-04-2009
Originally Posted by RonC:
a Johnson temperature controller will help. setting the temp at 70 will make the unit run less, and your relative humidity will drop a few % as the temp rises 2 or 3 degrees. Next step would be a fan to circulate the air.
Can you point me in the right direction for the Johnson Temperature Controller please. I have 2 oust fans in the Vinotemp now. One on bottom pointing up and the other on top pointing towards the front of the unit.
[Reply]
ChasDen 06:22 PM 05-04-2009
So now what should I do ?

Give up :-)

Not trying to be a smart ass, but you have a wine cooler not a $2500 piece of high tech refrigeration equipment. If you are going to obsess until every part of the unit reads exactly the same every time you look into it you are setting yourself up for sleepless nights and failure.

I have 2 units, 2 brands and no matter what I have done they fluctuate slightly. Many others here are in the same boat and I believe the goal is to get it as stable as possible with the least effort and call it success. The key most of us are looking for is stability inside boxes and trays. If the RH and temp inside a box or tray in the unit only moves around a point or 2 in a 24 hour period, that is what I am looking for. Try a 48 hour test inside a box of cigars inside the unit and see what the change is inside the box.

Don't over think this bro, your going to burst a blood vessel.

Chas
[Reply]
dbreazeale 06:57 PM 05-04-2009
If all else fails...smoke faster! :-)
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 07:12 PM 05-04-2009
Originally Posted by RonC:

Wow ! RonC sure is a good guy I gave him a call regarding this and we are going to try some stuff out to see if we can get it figured out to where the unit has better air circulation with all my cigar boxes in it. I will post some pics and show everyone the process of this as we do things. So that forum thread can help someone else with a Vinotemp if they are having the same issue.
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 06:57 PM 05-08-2009
Just a update I will my fan setup from Cigar Solutions will be here tommorrow and I will get it all installed this weekend hopefully so when it is setup I will post some pics of the setup . Hopefully this post can help others with the same problem.
[Reply]
big a 10:32 PM 05-08-2009
Well I had this issue when i was using 2 different types of beads. I am going with only scotts beads now and ever since the switch its been holding right where i want it to.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up