Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Entertainment>AC/DC
tnip23 05:57 PM 10-16-2008
Ok, to me this is an easy call, although Brian Johnson has done admirable work, especially on his first album Back in Black, Bon Scott was clearly the front man for the best AC/DC music. The Scott stuff was bluesy, eclectic, and imaginative compared to the one-note, repetitive music of the Johnson era. What do you think?
[Reply]
GoatLocker 06:25 PM 10-16-2008
No contest! :-) While I still enjoy the post Bon Scott albums, they are just not the same without his vocals.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 07:54 PM 10-16-2008
I think I salute them
[Reply]
slimm 08:08 PM 10-16-2008
Bon Scott no contest.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:58 AM 10-17-2008
Bon Scott's lyrics were also far superior, full of subtle humor and bawdy intelligence, where Johnson's are standard metal fare. I wonder if some of the songs on "Back in Black" were actually started by Scott, as that album shows more of those type of lyrics than any AC/DC album since.
[Reply]
donjefe 06:30 PM 10-17-2008
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Bon Scott's lyrics were also far superior, full of subtle humor and bawdy intelligence, where Johnson's are standard metal fare. I wonder if some of the songs on "Back in Black" were actually started by Scott, as that album shows more of those type of lyrics than any AC/DC album since.
You're a wise man Tom. Have often wondered the same thing. Oh yeah, another vote for Bon.
[Reply]
Mikey202 07:53 PM 10-17-2008
Bon Scott for sure. This will make you feel old...Brian Johnson turned 61 this month. Man, I do love Back in Black though.
[Reply]
Gophernut 10:44 AM 10-30-2008
"With Brian Johnson the band completed the songwriting that they had begun with Bon Scott for the album Back in Black."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC/DC
[Reply]
bobarian 11:18 AM 10-30-2008
For me AC/DC were never the same after Bon died. Still great stuff, but lacking the raw earthiness of the early stuff. By the time Brian Johnson joined they had already taken 70's rock to a different level. Johnson took them to the masses as his stage presence was a bit more "respectable" compared to the toothless, drunken Bon. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 02:16 PM 10-30-2008
"Black Ice" debuted as the #1 album on the Billboard charts this week, despite being sold exclusively at WalMart stores.

I am going to see them Saturday night, can't wait to see Angus rock the house.
[Reply]
tnip23 02:22 PM 10-30-2008
Originally Posted by icehog3:
"Black Ice" debuted as the #1 album on the Billboard charts this week, despite being sold exclusively at WalMart stores.

I am going to see them Saturday night, can't wait to see Angus rock the house.
Yeah, amazing that they are still one of the few itunes holdouts, I have never heard their reasoning for it, but obviously they do fine without it. I understand some bands thinking that selling their music by the song detracts from the overall album concept and flow, but I really don't get that with these guys.
[Reply]
tenbaseg 02:44 PM 10-30-2008
For those of you with XM radio, they launched an all AC/DC channel. They are playing a mix of old and new. I believe they will have it airing until mid-December.
[Reply]
Gophernut 02:47 PM 10-30-2008
Originally Posted by tenbaseg:
For those of you with XM radio, they launched an all AC/DC channel. They are playing a mix of old and new. I believe they will have it airing until mid-December.
Channel 53:-) I think the last three times I have had in on in the car "Shot Down in Flames" has been on! Talk about a treat!!!
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 02:48 PM 10-30-2008
Sirius has it on ch. 29
[Reply]
icehog3 02:49 PM 10-30-2008
Listen every day on the way to the gym. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 03:20 PM 11-02-2008
I saw AC/DC last night...good, not great.

The good:

Angus still rips it up...hard rock guitar with a bluesy feel.

The rhythm section still rocks as well, Malcolm plays a wicked rhythm guitar.

Some of the new tunes were good live, especially "Rock'nRoll Train" and "War Machine".

The not so good:

Brian Johnson can't hit the high notes like he used to, and with the exception of Angus' antics, the stage show is pretty stiff.

The disappointing:

The set list....no suprises, and just not what I was hoping for. No songs off my favorite album (Powerage), only the title track from "Highway to Hell", nothing off of "Flick of the Switch" or "Stiff Upper Lip". Also only the title track from "For Thos About to Rock" as an encore.

Songs I remember from the set list:

6 songs from the new album (too many, in my opinion, from an album just released a week ago)...Rock'n'Roll Train, War Machine, Black Ice and 3 others.
Back in Black
Hell's Bells
Shoot to Thrill
You Shook Me All Night Long
Thunderstruck
Highway to Hell
For Those About to Rock
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Whole Lotta Rosie
Let There be Rock
The Jack
Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be
TNT
Bad Boy Boogie

I see they have "Stiff Upper Lip" and "Hard As A Rock" on the potential set-list...would have liked to have seen those, and maybe cut 3 or 4 sonbgs from Black Ice for classics like "Shot Down in Flames", "Girls Got Rhythm", "If You Want Blood", "Gimmie a Bullet", "Gone Shootin'", "Long Way to the Top", "Riff Raff", "rock and Roll Damnation", etc etc etc.....
[Reply]
Up