Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
All Cigar Discussion>B & M vs. Internet?
md4958 03:34 PM 05-21-2010
I dont mention cigars Ive purchased online in front of a B&M owner, especially if its something they carry in their store.

It would be like somebody coming into my bakery and telling me how they buy their cakes at Costco.

:-)
[Reply]
timo 03:56 PM 05-21-2010
I split it about 60/40 in favor of B&M. I travel to several areas during the course of the week and like visiting local cigar shops. And you can't fondle internet cigars. There's nothing like being in a walk in with all them lovely's.
[Reply]
timo 03:58 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
I dont mention cigars Ive purchased online in front of a B&M owner, especially if its something they carry in their store.

It would be like somebody coming into my bakery and telling me how they buy their cakes at Costco.

The thought makes me want to puke
[Reply]
whodeeni 04:06 PM 05-21-2010
Adam you know how to make a brotha Laugh!:-)

Do tell What is on your avatar bro?

Originally Posted by T.G:
Didn't you guys lean anything from legend? Sheez, everyone knows that internet cigars are inferior!

I kidd, I kidd...

[Reply]
Dark Jester 04:06 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by Spitnchew:
The thought makes me want to puke
The Costco here makes a great strawberry cheesecake. :-) That's the only type of cake I buy from them though. :-)
[Reply]
whodeeni 04:08 PM 05-21-2010
It's really like a slap in the face to tell a guy that works extra hard
(in a lot of cases) for his money to hear that guys are taking their
business elsewhere and they could have gotten him... :-)

Just don't do it.. Unless he pisses you off. then that's another story!:-)
[Reply]
captain53 04:53 PM 05-21-2010
I don't mind one bit telling them their prices are too high, if they don't like it then maybe they should lower them. It is a business and I am a customer just that simple.
[Reply]
md4958 04:57 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by captain53:
I don't mind one bit telling them their prices are too high, if they don't like it then maybe they should lower them. It is a business and I am a customer just that simple.
Thats easier said than done.

Most of the difference is the state and local taxes that these B&Ms have to pay. Internet based companies with the best pricing are usually found in tobacco tax friendly states.

The customer isnt always right. Somethings are better left unsaid :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:10 PM 05-21-2010

That have cakes as Costco? :-)

Has anyone told Major Captain Silly?
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 05:10 PM 05-21-2010
I agree with Dave's sentiment. Sure, it is tough on the B&M owner who opened up before changes in taxes may have occured - but if you run the business, you should know the competition.

A B&M owner should know that they have to differentiate. If you charge higher prices (due to taxes or for profit), you should offer something with it.

The walk in humidor experience, clipping, a bar/lounge, eye candy...er hostesses, and maybe the inside track on HTFs, new releases, or limited events - all of this goes to justify a higher price to some buyers that otherwise would shop online.

If you don't offer any of that and try to compete on price alone, then you'll lose out on at least some business, that simple.
[Reply]
captain53 05:13 PM 05-21-2010
Thats easier said than done.

Most of the difference is the state and local taxes that these B&Ms have to pay. Internet based companies with the best pricing are usually found in tobacco tax friendly states.

The customer isnt always right. Somethings are better left unsaid :-)
Success in Business is largely related to location so if someone chooses to open in an overtaxed location then they made a stupid business decision. And that is BS about most of the difference being taxes, I am in a relatively low cigar tax state yet cigars i buy are more than double (sometimes 4 times higher) than I can buy for online.
[Reply]
SeanGAR 06:17 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by captain53:
Success in Business is largely related to location so if someone chooses to open in an overtaxed location then they made a stupid business decision. And that is BS about most of the difference being taxes, I am in a relatively low cigar tax state yet cigars i buy are more than double (sometimes 4 times higher) than I can buy for online.
So you think there should be no cigar shops in states with high cigar/sale taxes?

That's one opinion.

The price difference between B&M/Online is due to sales volume, overhead and taxes. It is rare that I have seen cigar prices in a B&M that I've thought were ridiculous. Look for rare fuentes online and you'll find ridiculous prices pretty quick.

A B&M will never get the in store sales volume of an online retailer.

The overhead/gross sales will be higher in a B&M as well.

Since B&Ms don't have the sales volume, they don't get the best price.

Most cigar shop owners I know are in the business because they love cigars. You don't respect that enough to want to spend money there, I understand, but not everybody shares your opinion. Save a few bucks online ... when your local cigar shops disappear, don't be surprised.
[Reply]
Jbailey 06:35 PM 05-21-2010
It's also cheaper to drink at home.

In my mind I enjoyed hanging out at my B&M back in MI. Almost 100% of my the NC's I ever bought came from Tim's in Bay City. For me the extra change went to having a great place to smoke from the warm summer days sitting with my friends on the sidewalk to the cold @ss winters enjoying a movie or playing cards indoors. :-)

There is going to be a time where the B&M's will be history.
[Reply]
captain53 06:44 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
So you think there should be no cigar shops in states with high cigar/sale taxes?

That's one opinion.

The price difference between B&M/Online is due to sales volume, overhead and taxes. It is rare that I have seen cigar prices in a B&M that I've thought were ridiculous. Look for rare fuentes online and you'll find ridiculous prices pretty quick.

A B&M will never get the in store sales volume of an online retailer.

The overhead/gross sales will be higher in a B&M as well.

Since B&Ms don't have the sales volume, they don't get the best price.

Most cigar shop owners I know are in the business because they love cigars. You don't respect that enough to want to spend money there, I understand, but not everybody shares your opinion. Save a few bucks online ... when your local cigar shops disappear, don't be surprised.
I certainly respect your thoughts and preferences but believe me I want be surprised nor will I be concerned. I really could care less about why they are higher it is just the fact I do not believe in paying extra for things and it is far more than a few bucks. I call double prices rediculous, perhaps you have a higher threshold.

As to no stores in states with high taxes - makes good business sense but if they are satisfied with their revenue go for it.

Look for rare Fuentes at most B&M's and you will seldom find them.

We just have a different idea about the value of our money and where to best use it. Cigars are a hobby for me and I have close to 1000 of them at any given time which means $3-6 vs $8-20 will buy a lot of really good scotch. For those who buy a dozen or so cigars a year the B&M is probably the best way to buy them.
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 07:16 PM 05-21-2010
+1 more for B&M support.

A lot of B&Ms locally have started serving alcoholic drinks, which contributes further to improving their bottom line.

Since I don't drink, I always purchase a cigar when I'm there for more than a few minutes. Most times it's a cigar that I wouldn't purchase online. But, as has been said many times before... It's hard to sit and smoke a cigar in an "internet".
[Reply]
thebayratt 07:38 PM 05-21-2010
I buy singles at my B&M. I usually smoke one there and take about three or four home each week. They have TVs, couches, free beer/drinks. Yes FREE BEER!

I buy boxes & 5ers online; unless they are on special at the B&M and are close to online costs.

I'd rather pay a little more and have a place to sit, someone to chat with, and lets see the computer give ya a nice bottle of Stout.
[Reply]
TripleF 07:46 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Singles - B&M
Boxes - internet vendor

I understand his reaction as I work in a b&m. It's best to not mention internet vendors when in a b&m, imo.

:-) Yup I work in a B&M too!
[Reply]
68TriShield 08:10 PM 05-21-2010
I always support my local B&Ms with singles,and box purchases as well.
You'll never find me buying only one cigar.
I spent 60 dollars today on a whim.I should have bought 2 A.Fuente Rosados instead of one ..doh!
[Reply]
icehog3 10:10 PM 05-21-2010
State after state are falling victim to smoking bans. For those of you who live in cooler climates and can't/don't smoke in your homes, some of you might be sorry when B&Ms disappear and there is no place to smoke during the winter without risking frostbite. :-)
[Reply]
Starz26 10:15 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
State after state are falling victim to smoking bans. For those of you who live in cooler climates and can't/don't smoke in your homes, some of you might be sorry when B&Ms disappear and there is no place to smoke during the winter without risking frostbite. :-)

Yup, already in that situation as nearest B&M is over an hour away...

As for alcohol, Ohio SUCKS!! My B&M had to stop selling alcohol (wine). can't drink and smoke in the same place ......
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up