Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>The kitchen remodel
markem 08:36 PM 04-21-2022
We had a pipe burst in the wall behind the kitchen cabinets a couple of weeks ago. Not overly major, but it looks like enough damage that a remodel is in the works.

The main issue that I'm not sure about is the appliances. Has anyone been through the issue of replacing multiple appliances recently? Looking for recommendations that won't break the bank. The current set is 23 years old, so seems reasonable to bite the bullet now.

I'm seriously considering considering replacing our 30" gas cooktop with a 36" one, either as part of a stove or separate from the oven, as we have now. 30" is big enough for me, but we will want to sell this place at some point and 36" could be a big draw?

Suggestions and ideas appreciated!
[Reply]
sigsauer 09:23 PM 04-21-2022
good luck with finding appliances...
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:55 AM 04-22-2022
I think the most import thing is were the overflow cabinets protected!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about the unexpected BS :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 08:08 AM 04-22-2022
As Long As The Cigars Are Good, No Worries, Brother!:-):-). As Some Have Said, Already, Appliances Are Hard To Find & Take Even Longer To Ship To Your House. We Have Always Liked Kitchen-Aid If That Helps.:-)
[Reply]
bonjing 09:40 AM 04-22-2022
When we went through our remodel any appliance that was not white or stainless was hard to get. We did go through a local shop, and he’s been nothing but great to us, but we waited to close to 9 months for our appliances and still awaiting our dishwasher. According to him black was really hard to get. I also saw this online seeing about wait times for other people. White and stainless were being delivered quicker than other colors. Things may be a bit different now.

Bigger shops should have better buying power so that may fall into what I’ve been experiencing. But I’ll take his $100-$200 lower than big stores and gladly wait.

We have the black ge cafe appliances with copper handles and I love them now, I was more for the traditional white or stainless. No finger prints and so far easy cleaning. We are awaiting our black stainless washer for close to 2 years now. I hope the wait is worth it.

Also I say buy what you want for your enjoyment. Regardless of what you put in the next buyer will most likely change out what you have.
[Reply]
markem 09:59 AM 04-22-2022
Thanks, Greg. We have black now, but I'm considering stainless. I'm getting some ideas from houzz.com, but it's a slog.
[Reply]
jdakine 10:20 AM 04-22-2022
Spending time on Houzz will eat several hours of your life, LOL

Good luck with remodel!
[Reply]
markem 10:25 AM 04-22-2022
Originally Posted by jdakine:
Spending time on Houzz will eat several hours of your life, LOL
I was told "days". Lol as well. Kind of a frustrating site tho.
[Reply]
Axeman 11:56 AM 04-22-2022
It's been over a year now since I finished my kitchen remodel. I highly recommend a 36" range/oven. Not having one and needing it is worse than having it and not needing it. I ordered mine directly from the manufacturer. Best price and free delivery. Don't even care a bit about what house buyers want. What my wife wanted is what we have now.
[Reply]
Havanaaddict 12:21 PM 04-22-2022
Mark take a look at ZLINE (zlinekitchen.com)I really like there stuff!
But prices have gone through the roof lately. I am looking at a 30" freestanding range, Microwave and a Dishwasher as a package $3900 (premiumhomesource.com)
ZLINE 30" Gas range SS (RG30)
ZLINE Microwave SS (MWO-OTR-H30) (High CFM over range so replaces hood)
ZLINE Dishwasher (DE-034-H-24)

The only drawback is there Refrigerator is $4000 (might look at an LG Refrigerator at $2100 and Debadge it)

It's been 12 years with the same kitchen appliances and kitchen. But its like a snowball if we do the new appliances I am changing to a freestanding Range so that means new counter tops. Then re-face cabinets, new sink and new refrigerator (refrigerator going on 20 yr. still waiting for it die):-)
As soon as I win the lottery "New kitchen here I come"
[Reply]
markem 12:27 PM 04-22-2022
I like the Zline stuff but not enthused about the price. Still, it’s very highly rated and has a classic look.
[Reply]
Havanaaddict 07:27 PM 04-22-2022
If you want higher end stuff ZLINE Kitchen offers the same or better features and performance as the Viking range, for a fraction of the cost.
[Reply]
markem 10:46 AM 04-23-2022
Originally Posted by Havanaaddict:
If you want higher end stuff ZLINE Kitchen offers the same or better features and performance as the Viking range, for a fraction of the cost.
Found a post from a zline customer service agent that says that the lowest temp for the oven is 250. Not going to cut it for me.
[Reply]
Havanaaddict 01:06 PM 04-24-2022
Mark maybe take a look at the THOR KITCHEN HRG3080U RANGE The temperature range spans 150 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:45 AM 04-25-2022
We replaced all of our kitchen appliances back in 2017 before we sold our home. I wish we had done it sooner :-)

We upgraded everything — better gas range,better refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, oven, etc.

The one thing the real estate agent told us was to avoid stainless steel. It’s hard to keep clean.

Anyway, good luck!
[Reply]
Axeman 11:38 AM 04-26-2022
Stainless steel is popular. So popular that it's special order for anything else. I ended up surrendering and just getting stainless. "It's what everyone wants." "Everything else is dated." To me it's the modern version of avacado green.
[Reply]
bonjing 09:37 AM 05-12-2022
Our Bosch black stainless has finally arrived, would have been 2 years come November. now just waiting for the contractor to come and install it. We’re in no hurry, I paid the guy so might as well have him finish it. Seems pretty straight forward for install though.

How’s the shopping going Mark?
[Reply]
Up