Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Graycliff Hotel - worth it?
SvilleKid 11:40 PM 10-07-2012
So.... I'll be going on a cruise in a couple of weeks. One of the stops will be Nassau, Bahamas. I'm a fan of Graycliff cigars, have been for years. So....

Anyone here been to the Graycliff? Is it worth the time to visit? Or would I be better served to find some other place to visit while in port?
[Reply]
emopunker2004 11:43 PM 10-07-2012
Here ya go buddy

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...raycliff+Hotel
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14289
[Reply]
T.G 12:18 AM 10-08-2012
Cliff,

If you're a fan, you'll be forever remorseful if you don't at least go there and try to get in on something.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:20 AM 10-08-2012
The tour is cool, and the food is pretty good. They have fairly limited hours as I remember, so best to arrange the tour time before you go, Cliff.
[Reply]
Bacchus 09:30 AM 10-08-2012
I hate to be a wet blanket, but my child bride and I cruised into Nassau in June of last year and I felt that Graycliffs was a must-see. I was pretty disappointed.

I don't know if business was just bad or it was the off-season or what, but the place was all but closed down. The restaurant was closed, there were hardly any people around -- it was just dead.

Our cabbie waited while I looked in on the torcedores - there were only a couple of them working - and went into the gift shop. Prices be d@mned, I felt I had to buy some Graycliffs at their place of birth just so I could say I had. I also bought some for a BOTL who had asked me to. This wasn't a good thing to do.

Once I was home again, I sent the sticks to the guy who asked for them - only to get a reply a while later with photos showing the beetle damage in one of the cigars I sent him. After apologizing profusely and offering to replace any damaged ones, I promptly froze the entire contents of my coolidor.

For me, it was a bad experience all around. Graycliffs have never been at the top of my favorites list and, now, I don't even consider buying them again. I'm not saying I'll never smoke one again but I sure won't go out of my way to get one.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:18 AM 10-08-2012
Yes, to be clear my last trip to Graycliff was over 7 years ago, so my information may be trumped by Bacchus' more recent experience.
[Reply]
Powers 10:31 AM 10-08-2012
I went about three years ago and had a great time. I had never been to a cigar factory previously so granted I didn't have anything to compare it too. As Tom said, definitely contact them to arrange a time. They are pretty flexible w/the length of your tour in my experience, depends on how much you ask and wanna poke around.

This was my :-)
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12170
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:16 AM 10-08-2012
If you know a B&M that is selling a lot of Greycliff's have them call to accept you when you are there. Vendor based introductions will get you much better treatment such as free drinks and cigars. They'll roll out the carpet for an industry guest.

I heard the hotel has quite a wine list, so if they are open for dinner you could have a real treat in that respect.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 04:04 PM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
If you know a B&M that is selling a lot of Greycliff's have them call to accept you when you are there. Vendor based introductions will get you much better treatment such as free drinks and cigars. They'll roll out the carpet for an industry guest.

I heard the hotel has quite a wine list, so if they are open for dinner you could have a real treat in that respect.
An interesting idea!! I do have several people in the cigar industry that could call them on my behalf! I think I'll do that.

Thanks Bacchus for the current info. I think, since this is the only time I'm likely to ever be there, I'll make the effort to go. My wife was very interested in the rolling process we watched in Charleston, SC, so I know she would go with me. And, if the cigar part is slow or not going that day, it sounds like the hotel would be an interesting tour in itself.

So, is the hotel close enough that an overweight 54 year old can make the trip walking without showing up in a pool of sweat?? I'm no against walking, and a five to ten minute walk isn't outside of my capabilities. I just don't want to show up sweating like a $2 hooker on a Amsterdam Saturday night!!!

As to buying a cigar, It would make sense to grab a couple from the source, though I currently have several dozen various ones. Will have to see. And will definitely freeze them after seeing Bacchus' post!!
[Reply]
icehog3 04:09 PM 10-08-2012
You're staying at the Graycliff Hotel as well, Cliff? If so, it's all "right there", you shouldn't have a problem.
[Reply]
php007 04:18 PM 10-08-2012
It's a great place to visit and you will most likely see them rolloing. Since you are taking a cruise, take a cab to the hotel from the dcok.

Enjoy.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 04:19 PM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
You're staying at the Graycliff Hotel as well, Cliff? If so, it's all "right there", you shouldn't have a problem.
No, unfortunately. Only a day stop on the cruise. But should be there to eat lunch. Will have to see what menu and prices look like!

Will be either walk there and then back, or take a taxi. I could always use the exercise (although walking has to be my LEAST favorite form of exercise - bad knees may have something to do with that!)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:00 PM 10-08-2012
From the port, Cliff, you will probably want to cab it. :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 06:42 PM 10-08-2012
Thanks Tom! That's good to know before hand, for sure!!
[Reply]
Caymus 08:45 PM 10-08-2012
I went to the Graycliff Hotel on a cruise stop, and I enjoyed it. I enjoy Graycliff cigars, so it was a must-stop for me. The grounds alone are worth seeing, and they do have a world-class wine and spirits selection. We walked from the cruise port, but it's more than a 10 min walk...you might choose a cab. I highly, strongly recommend heading over to "Fish Fry" (formally known as Arawak Cay) , an area about a mile from the cruise terminal/Graycliff. It's an area of colorful seafood huts where the special in all them is fresh conch. I'm a foodie, and the fresh conch salads I ate there were some of the best food memories I have. Just delicious and so fresh and local. The conch fritters are great too....wash 'em down with some ice cold Kalik beer.
Attached: Graycliff.jpg (47.4 KB) 
[Reply]
Caymus 08:54 PM 10-08-2012
Graycliff pool...
Attached: Graycliff Pool.jpg (64.6 KB) 
[Reply]
Caymus 08:55 PM 10-08-2012
Fish Fry (Arawak Cay)
Attached: FishFry.jpg (47.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Caymus 08:57 PM 10-08-2012
Conch salad and Kalik
Attached: Conch Salad.jpg (37.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 09:51 PM 10-08-2012
holy slide show
[Reply]
SvilleKid 08:19 PM 10-26-2012
Well, Graycliff was a bust. Hurricane Sandy put that port of call off the ship stops. Maybe some time in the future....,
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up