Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Patron - Are my taste buds out of wack?
dwoodward 12:30 PM 01-27-2012
I like to call myself a fan of Tequila. I have gotten into it big time in the last year and have found myself a couple favorite bottles that are just amazing. I love me a bottle of Don Julio or Cabo Wabo, awesome Tequilas.

Just a couple weeks ago, I finally broke down and bought a bottle of Patron at the extensive badgering of my buddies. According to almost everyone I know Patron is like the "best of the best". I don't know why I have never tried it, I guess I just like my current go to tequilas enough that it never interested me.

Anyway, after a good night with my buddies they convinced me to buy a bottle of Patron. They suggested Patron Anejo. I bought it, brought it home and immediately poured myself a splash in a tequila glass. The nose was okay, slight pepper and spice, but the taste... That's what got me confused. It was very muted and boring. It was like that of a $20 bottle of tequila. It was just diluted and I couldn't really pick out anything that I liked about it. It just tasted cheap to me. I feel really ripped off.

Am I crazy? Is there anyone here that agrees with me? I have tried this 'stuff' 3 times now and all 3 times I had the same reaction, it tastes like a decent entry level tequila but that's about it.
[Reply]
macsauce13 12:32 PM 01-27-2012
Name brand everyone knows and mostly overrated. The ladies love it though.
[Reply]
cobra03 12:51 PM 01-27-2012
Dont get me wrong i like Patron just fine for doing shots of but if im sipping theres alot better out there for the money. I have a feeling that so many people love it because of its muted smooth flavor. You have to remember that alot of peoples only exposure to tequila is stuff like Jose gold. If thats your only reference then Patron is amazing. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 12:56 PM 01-27-2012
It's just like everything else. Make it bland so that it appeals to the masses and call it ultra-premium.
Tequila is SUPPOSED to taste like lighter fluid. That's why it's tequila. You drink a bottle, eat the worm, see God and wake up in jail.
I "get" what they're doing with all the super expensive multi-filtered super clear booze, but it takes away from what it is. It's kinda like calling Coors Light "beer". :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 12:59 PM 01-27-2012
I love Tequila and just about any liquor they will bottle, but Patron isn't my cup of tea. I agree with the tastes part, it lacks big time. I prefer Don Julio, Penca Azul or Avion.

I've had the Gran Patron Platinum as well and it's no better, lacks in the taste department but wow smoother than silk....I could just funnel bottles of that all day long. It was like water.

A trade off, but at $200+ a bottle...it's not worth it.
[Reply]
CigarNut 01:08 PM 01-27-2012
Patron is made for the masses and therefore is a much more milder version of tequila. It's OK, but Don Julio and the like are much better.

BTW, if you like a good inexpensive reposado try Cazadores.
[Reply]
Hem 01:09 PM 01-27-2012
Patron is garbage. Along with Grey Goose and any other brand name alcohol promoted by rap groups. Grab yourself some 1800, Cabo Wabo, or Milagro. I laugh when idiots come up to the bar and order $16 patron shots.
[Reply]
ade06 01:22 PM 01-27-2012
I prefer Don Julio, but I have a buddy that thinks Herradura Reposado is king.
[Reply]
irratebass 01:23 PM 01-27-2012
Patron is the only Tequila I like, and ike someone else said only for shots.
[Reply]
357 02:09 PM 01-27-2012
Never had Anejo. All I know is I like drinking shots of Silver as long as it's chilled.
[Reply]
icehog3 03:51 PM 01-27-2012
I like Patron. Are there better tequilas? Absolutely, but most of them are much more expensive. I do like Don Julio, and several higher end tequilas that probably 90% would not recognize the names.

1800 is garbage. Along with any other brand name alcohol promoted by a has-been Soprano's actor.

Cabo Wabo? I'd laugh at any idiot who would pay $2 for a shot of those. :-)
[Reply]
Mattso3000 04:25 PM 01-27-2012
For the price point, Don Julio is much better. Can't agree with Tom on this, Cabo Wabo is also better than Patron Anejo.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:30 PM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by Mattso3000:
For the price point, Don Julio is much better. Can't agree with Tom on this, Cabo Wabo is also better than Patron Anejo.
That's OK, Matt, at least you didn't call anyone an idiot. :-)
[Reply]
Mattso3000 04:48 PM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
That's OK, Matt, at least you didn't call anyone an idiot. :-)
Oh, and I would pay $2 for a shot:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:12 PM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by Mattso3000:
Oh, and I would pay $2 for a shot:-)
Yeah, I might too. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 06:19 PM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Patron is made for the masses and therefore is a much more milder version of tequila. It's OK, but Don Julio and the like are much better.
^^^Truth^^^
[Reply]
hammondc 06:36 PM 01-27-2012
Agree with you, bro. Not a fan. Even folks down here in little mexico do not drink much of it.
[Reply]
Frodo 10:18 AM 01-28-2012
On the Blue Agave forum, Patron is known as wildly over-priced ho-hum distillate. Favorites there are El Tesoro and Casa Noble. I tried a couple of pours of the Patron Anejo and I had the same reaction as OP. I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to.
[Reply]
Bill86 10:29 AM 01-28-2012
Originally Posted by Frodo:
On the Blue Agave forum, Patron is known as wildly over-priced ho-hum distillate. Favorites there are El Tesoro and Casa Noble. I tried a couple of pours of the Patron Anejo and I had the same reaction as OP. I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to.
I hear good things about Casa Noble, never heard of El Tesoro.

But seriously people need to consider distribution. While these may be the favorites over there, they might not be available to everyone.

Also, on Cigar Asylum forum I hear many people like a lot of different cigars and there is no top 3, 5, 10, 50 or any single favorite by all :-)
[Reply]
galaga 10:45 AM 01-28-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:

BTW, if you like a good inexpensive reposado try Cazadores.
:-)
I agree. You have to like the taste of agave. Cazadores, El Jimador, Herradura, Sauza Hornitos, and Espolon are good reposados that are easy to find in SoCal at least. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up