Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>wine and gars?
cigarmonkel 05:54 PM 02-20-2012
has anyone really gave this a go? My first thoughts would be... no but the more i think about it the more i convince myself, that this could work.

due to my work ( fine dinning waiter) i've come to love wine. But i can't picture a good glass coughbottlecough of wine going well with a cigar.

I feel like white wines wouldn't work with a mellow cigar because the more crisp fruity flavors wouldn't blend well with a more mild/mellow cigar and would just over power it. For red wines i feel like they would definitely be too bold for a mild/mellow cigar but with a more full bodied heavier cigar the flavor profiles would be polar opposites and wouldn't combine well. I could see a more fruity/floral merlot going well with a san cristobal but thats the only pair i could think of that MIGHT work.
[Reply]
us_soldier1989 05:58 PM 02-20-2012
I've had several glasses of wine with several cigars. I stopped because it just wasn't doing it for me. I've only had red wine with a cigar though.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 06:03 PM 02-20-2012
wine-ot? :-)
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 06:06 PM 02-20-2012
i see what you did there!
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 06:06 PM 02-20-2012
6k+ posts compared to my 1k+... i've got catch up to do! and to think back on CS i was the post wh*re of us all!
[Reply]
Ismith75 06:08 PM 02-20-2012
Had a Mille Fleur and a couple glasses of Stags Leap Chardonnay for breakfast on Saturday. I saw no problem with the combo at all :-)
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 06:09 PM 02-20-2012
i could see a more buttery chard working well with certain cigars i suppose. Now that i think about it definitely more oaky chards, maybe a trapiche oak cask... considering the name though it really isn't that oaky :-)
[Reply]
jjmitchem 06:16 PM 02-20-2012
I have wine all the time with my cigars. I find it a nice light company to a good cigar that compliments the earthy tones of both the cigar and a good bold red wine.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:18 PM 02-20-2012
I've enjoyed wine many times with a good cigar. Usually red. From chianti and pinot noir to cabs, zins, shiraz, malbecs, tempranillo . . . . you get the idea. Port is outstanding with a good cigar.
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 06:19 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by jjmitchem:
I have wine all the time with my cigars. I find it a nice light company to a good cigar that compliments the earthy tones of both the cigar and a good bold red wine.
Do you usually smoke a more full bodied cigar with the wine? Cab's? heavier merlots? zins?
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 06:19 PM 02-20-2012
Cali or Oregon Pinot Noir
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 06:20 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I've enjoyed wine many times with a good cigar. Usually red. From chianti and pinot noir to cabs, zins, shiraz, malbecs, tempranillo . . . . you get the idea. Port is outstanding with a good cigar.
I can't do ports, too sweet for me and too thick, almost reminds me of a syrup. I haven't had that many but i've tried a couple and can see where people would really like them.
[Reply]
3SmokesaRound 06:23 PM 02-20-2012
I love cigars. I love wine. I love drinking wine while smoking cigars. Cab, Zin, Pinot Noir, they all work for me.
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:26 PM 02-20-2012
I'm by no means a wine expert, but I've enjoyed cigars with some supermarket merlots and cabs under $10. I enjoy a good port with cigars too. I find that the cigar tends to temper the sweetness of a port and balances nicely.
[Reply]
jjmitchem 09:45 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel:
Do you usually smoke a more full bodied cigar with the wine? Cab's? heavier merlots? zins?
My wife and I go by the Frank Sinatra rule on wines - red, unless there is no red left :-)

Cabs are pretty much it
[Reply]
pnoon 09:47 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by jjmitchem:
My wife and I go by the Frank Sinatra rule on wines - red, unless there is no red left :-)

Cabs are pretty much it
Great quote. I hadn't heard that one before. I like it. :-)

I love full-bodied reds, too. But there is a whole world out there besides Cabernet.
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:20 PM 02-20-2012
Port is my favorite drink with a cigar.
[Reply]
jjmitchem 11:08 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Great quote. I hadn't heard that one before. I like it. :-)

I love full-bodied reds, too. But there is a whole world out there besides Cabernet.
Yes a good malbec also has a full body taste
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 11:17 PM 02-20-2012
favorite cab's i've tried so far. Fransican Magnificat 07, Silver Oak 05, JLohr Hilltop Reserve was pretty decent. Sequioa Grove 05 old vines Zin that my mom and I picked up was KILLER! but at 90 bucks a pop i don't think i'll be drinking it too much. a GREAT bottle of Pinot Noir for under 10 bucks is Eco Damoni? Demoni? awesome buy!
[Reply]
Up