Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>A. Fuente Anejo Reserva No. 48
Bruzee 08:20 PM 05-20-2009
I have to share the experience of smoking my first Anejo with my fellow inmates. I was given this beautiful cigar by a wild primate some time ago. I had been sitting on it for the right occasion, and a sh*tty day at work was just the right occasion.

If you are in to a nice presentation, then this is the cigar for you. The cigar itself is a beautiful maduro wrapper, with an oily sheen to it. It is wrapped in cedar and has a red ribbon around the foot. The band is one of the Fuente's typically fancy and very attractive red and gold bands. Here is the specs on the stick:

Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: 5-year-old Connecticut maduro
Size: 7 X 48
Strength: Full
Price: $25.95 (Cigar.com)

The pre-light draw was absolutely perfect. It has been sitting in my Vinotemp for at least 10 months at 65% rh & 70 degrees. I used my trusty Palio to clip the cap, and my Ronson to toast the foot. The first third was kinda spicy, but not too spicy. The flavor was amazing, and I won't even try to point out all the flavors due to my developing pallet, but I could swear there was a sweet undertone. The ash was a light grey, almost white, and hung on for about 2 1/2 inches before falling off.

The second third mellowed a bit, but maintained the full flavor and plentiful smoke. The last third picked up a bit on the fullness, and some of the flavors intensified. I couldn't taste the sweetnes anymore, but all the other flavors were still there. The Anejo burned straight and flawlessly, an A+ burn.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Anejo. It was a great full bodied cigar after dinner and did not disappoint my very high expectations. Although I didn't buy it, I think the price tag is a little hefty. I would definately buy this cigar, and I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys full bodied maduros. Thanks for reading. Enjoy! :-)
[Reply]
skullnrose 08:23 PM 05-20-2009
Nice review thanks for sharing.
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 08:24 PM 05-20-2009
Nice review :-)

I might spark one up tonight in fact.
[Reply]
Bruzee 08:27 PM 05-20-2009
Originally Posted by sonic_mike:
Nice review :-)

I might spark one up tonight in fact.
Hey, you and I will have the opportunity to light one together in person in about a week and a half. :-)
[Reply]
Catfish 08:34 PM 05-20-2009
Awesome review.
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 08:38 PM 05-20-2009
Originally Posted by Bruzee:
Hey, you and I will have the opportunity to light one together in person in about a week and a half. :-)
I cant wait.:-)
[Reply]
G G 08:52 PM 05-20-2009
Great review Dustin.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:56 PM 05-20-2009
Great review...thanks.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 09:07 PM 05-20-2009
Don't knock the price too much... anyone that pays the cigar.com price is making an unfortunate mistake. MSRP is less than $10, and you should be able to find them for $15 or so in CA during the season.
[Reply]
montecristo#2 10:09 PM 05-20-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Don't knock the price too much... anyone that pays the cigar.com price is making an unfortunate mistake. MSRP is less than $10, and you should be able to find them for $15 or so in CA during the season.
Are you talking about California or the WTS threads here at CA? :-)

If you are talking about California, not so sure about that! :-)

Usually 50's go for around $15, higher for the 48s, 49s and 77s unless you live near a good shop.

Some of the longests ashes I have ever had were on Anejos. :-)
[Reply]
scooter 10:10 PM 05-20-2009
Great review, thanks. They are very good.
[Reply]
skyhigh340 10:26 PM 05-20-2009
great review!
[Reply]
tuxpuff 10:32 PM 05-20-2009
Great review thanks! I'm waiting to try my first one...have a couple sitting in the humi.
[Reply]
Bruzee 09:07 AM 05-21-2009
Hmmmm. I agree about the Cigar.com price, but I haven't seen them that cheap anywhere near me.
[Reply]
e-man67 09:46 AM 05-21-2009
When my shop has them they are $8-$9 for the 46/48. They limit 2 per person which sucks but nice at the same time since you can at least get 2. I think these bastards that charge WAY above MSRP should have their privilage of carrying the sticks taken away...I stay away from the price fixing sites...no matter if they even have good deals on other stuff.

Oh yeah, the Anejo is very sweet because the tobacco is aged in oak casts that contained French sherry...
[Reply]
Bruzee 07:37 PM 05-21-2009
Originally Posted by e-man67:
When my shop has them they are $8-$9 for the 46/48. They limit 2 per person which sucks but nice at the same time since you can at least get 2. I think these bastards that charge WAY above MSRP should have their privilage of carrying the sticks taken away...I stay away from the price fixing sites...no matter if they even have good deals on other stuff.

Oh yeah, the Anejo is very sweet because the tobacco is aged in oak casts that contained French sherry...
I wish I could get my hands on a couple of them at that price. That would be super.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 09:34 PM 05-21-2009
Great review, Bruzee!! I love me some Anejo. :-)
[Reply]
BlackIrish 07:23 AM 05-22-2009

Yes, while online retailers can offer cheaper prices on many smokes, these cigars (OpusX are another) are frequently cheaper when bought at a B&M than online. A good reason to make friends with your local tobacconist.
[Reply]
Hippi3Slay3r 07:27 AM 05-22-2009
Gah! now I wanna spark mine up evan more >< thx for all the great info cant wait.
[Reply]
Jimbo14 08:35 AM 05-22-2009
I love Arturo Fuente. They dont seem to sell any of the Anejo's here though. Thanks for the review
[Reply]
Up