Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Don Carlos Robusto
RevSmoke 11:49 AM 02-02-2009
For some reason, I don't have any information about where this came from. I am thinking it might have been a purchase I made a while back, but it might have been a bomb. It has been in my humidor for at least 18 months. (see this thread to consider how dumb this makes me feel http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9456 )

Anyway, on to the review.

Aesthetics: This is a gorgeous stick, beautiful milk chocolate wrapper with only small veins - a pretty slightly toothy, Cameroon.

Pre-light Construction: A firmly rolled cigar with some solid heft to it.

Post-light Construction: With a snip, this drew easily. It held a firm light grey ash for about 2 inches before falling unceremoniously to the floor. It ran though, until the last third. I had to touch this up continuously, even tried some porter to stop the run while touching up. It was a bit distracting.

Flavor/Strength: A solid medium body, leaning toward the heavy side. Hints of cedar came through rather slightly, while cocoa, coffee, nutmeg, and that cameroon spiciness danced enticingly around my palate.

Aroma: The Cameroon spice predominated, but cocoa and cedar came through as well.

Finish: I like that Cam. spice that lingers tantalizingly on the palate.

Recommended: Yes, with one caveat - if it doesn't run. No guarantees for that though, seems that's always a crap-shoot with any cigar.
[Reply]
zmancbr 02:13 PM 02-02-2009
Nice review... I love the DC line but you are definitely right with these splitting. They have a very delicate cammie wrapper that's for sure...:-)
[Reply]
scooter 03:54 PM 02-02-2009
Nice review. These are good cigars. I enjoyed the ones I've smoked.
[Reply]
roughrider 05:27 PM 02-03-2009
Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
karmaz00 05:53 PM 02-03-2009
nice.. thanks for the review
[Reply]
Yazzie 05:57 PM 02-03-2009
Great review. Have not had the Robusto but am smoking through a box of the Bellicoso. I find the burn on these to be very even and the taste very consistently good :-)
[Reply]
totallytentative 08:58 PM 02-03-2009
Good review, thanks. I have some #3's resting up that I'd like to try. So many cigars.... so little time!
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:36 AM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by totallytentative:
Good review, thanks. I have some #3's resting up that I'd like to try. So many cigars.... so little time!
I don't know about "so many cigars," but I hear you on the "so little time," especially with winter here and not being able to sit outside with a book and a cigar after a long day.

Never had a #3, was never really a corona type smoker until lately (Robustos are still my favorite size/shape). And now, I find myself with more of them in my humidor than ever before. And, I am even enjoying a few PCs and Lanceros. In the smaller RG cigars, the wrapper plays a greater role in the overall flavor profile. The DC line has an exquisite Cameroon wrapper, and I would guess that in the #3 that would play to great advantage.

Enjoy the #3 when you get the time. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 06:44 AM 02-04-2009
Thanks for the review. I've never had a DC robo, but I've had other cigars in the line. I'm a fan of the #2s and #4s. Good stuff for sure. :-)
[Reply]
architeuthis 07:21 AM 02-04-2009
I've had one or two of those and think they're pretty good.
[Reply]
Up