Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Vinotemp help
big a 02:52 PM 04-27-2009
Well i am a little pissed off right now. Here is the story

It gets very hot in Ohio for some reason over the past couple days. I was away for the weekend and come home on Sunday to check out the Vinotemp and see that it is 70* in there :-) My vino says that is 64 in there which is what i had it set at but the 3 dig hygros disagree. So no I'm looking at it and i take the back cover off to see if can see anything that might have came loose and nothing. Im not very good with fixing electronics but i could tell if something didnt look right. So i set it to 54* to see if it will do anything and after all day i come home. It reads 64* and the hygros says it is still 70* inside. I unplug it for 10 mins and come back, plug it in and the vino now says it is 70* along with the hygros. I set it at 64* come back 10 mins later and the vino says 64* and they hygros still say 70*. I got the vino used about 5 mths ago and when i picked it up we set it to 54 and it got nice and cool in there. Now after winter and the cooling part not running it woln't work when i need it now. :-)

Has anyone had this problem and or have any ideas what might be wrong? Is the sensor broke? is the cooling unit in the vino broke? Any ideas?

And don't worry none of these cigars will be going out to anyone after this for a very long time.
[Reply]
adampc22 03:12 PM 04-27-2009
70% is ok for cigars ,mate
[Reply]
CigarmanTim 03:15 PM 04-27-2009
Change your digital hygrometer and try it again. 70 is ok though.
[Reply]
big a 03:30 PM 04-27-2009
Sorry to be unclear it is not 70% humidity it is 70+ degrees Fahrenheit in there.
[Reply]
Darrell 03:34 PM 04-27-2009
70 degrees is fine. Don't let it get above 80 for days at a time and you will be fine. I understand you want it to stay at 64, but if the ambient temp is at 80+ then the cooler is going to do it's best to keep it at 64, but it may be impossible. I don't think it guarantees that it will keep it at that temperature regardless of ambient temp. :-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 03:38 PM 04-27-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
70 degrees is fine. Don't let it get above 80 for days at a time and you will be fine. I understand you want it to stay at 64, but if the ambient temp is at 80+ then the cooler is going to do it's best to keep it at 64, but it may be impossible. I don't think it guarantees that it will keep it at that temperature regardless of ambient temp. :-)
:-) This man knows some stuff. I think somewhere in the directions they say the max temp or something like that. Beyond that temp, who knows what happens.
[Reply]
big a 03:39 PM 04-27-2009
I thought beatles can hatch at 70+? that is what i was worried about and that i set the vino at 64, reads 64, and all three of the hygros read 74 degrees. I guess i just thought it would keep it closer to what it is set at. Either way ill relax and watch and see what she does just started to worry now that i have some much invested in this. Thanks guys
[Reply]
Darrell 03:59 PM 04-27-2009
Originally Posted by big a:
I thought beatles can hatch at 70+? that is what i was worried about and that i set the vino at 64, reads 64, and all three of the hygros read 74 degrees. I guess i just thought it would keep it closer to what it is set at. Either way ill relax and watch and see what she does just started to worry now that i have some much invested in this. Thanks guys
As I understand 80 is when they start hatching.
[Reply]
BamBam 04:07 PM 04-27-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
As I understand 80 is when they start hatching.
plus to my knowledge it has to be for an extended period of time.

At least I hope b/c here in Ohio it has been in the mid 80s for days, almost hitting 90 at times. I have a cab humi....and oh yeah my A/C decided to take a dump also.

So....my humi has been hitting 80 in the day and around 70 at night. If I wasn't already sweating from the heat and humidity, I'm really sweating due to the temps in my humi.

I swear if I get beetles that I will buy a Vino....and I know I'll need 2 of em thanks to you bastages and the friggin slope. :-)
[Reply]
Darrell 04:12 PM 04-27-2009
Originally Posted by BamBam:
plus to my knowledge it has to be for an extended period of time.
Yes, I mentioned that in my first post.
[Reply]
gnukfu 04:16 PM 04-27-2009
Had the same issue in one of mine - moved some of my boxes around because they were jammed up against the vent openings in back....that took care of it.
[Reply]
CigarmanTim 04:17 PM 04-27-2009
There is a good article in Cigar magazine about beetles. An indepth study paid for by the museams. They took bails infested with beetles and inspected them after some temperature changes. They found that beetles can hatch at around 72 degrees. there is a ten day period after the hatch that you will see them. Anyways...real good article. I would be concerned iof it were 80 degrees but 70...not a prob.
[Reply]
lostark374 04:20 PM 04-27-2009
one big problem with thermoelectric cooling is that it's dependant on ambient temp to be effective. im not sure of the internal specs of the wine cooler of the thermal capacity of the heat sink on the pelt but it seems my vino struggels to maintain 10f below ambient.
[Reply]
XTRazzer 04:30 PM 04-27-2009
I had a Haier 6-bottle unit that stayed pegged at 64°F or 67°F when it croaked (it was the highest temperature the in-door thermostat would allow).

My apartment was around 72°F. Turning the Haier down to 54°F and waiting 24-hours didn't change things. So out on the curb it went.
[Reply]
big a 04:53 PM 04-27-2009
Yes this ohio weather is pretty hot right now, sucks for storing cigars but its great for fishing. I had the vino on the whole time i was gone and it was set at 64. It uis not like i just plugged it in and expect it to be cool in there it has been on the whole time. I have it fairly open and nothing blocking the back of it. It sounds like i am over reacting, ill just ride it out and hope for best.
[Reply]
gnukfu 05:35 PM 04-27-2009
It's 82 in the house and 64 and 68 in my 2 coolers. I had the 68 degree one open for a couple of minutes 2 hours ago...I'm sure ambient humidity plays into the cooling as well...the air is pretty dry here right now....42% RH
[Reply]
big a 09:36 PM 04-27-2009
Originally Posted by gnukfu:
It's 82 in the house and 64 and 68 in my 2 coolers. I had the 68 degree one open for a couple of minutes 2 hours ago...I'm sure ambient humidity plays into the cooling as well...the air is pretty dry here right now....42% RH
What do you have them set at to acheive that?
[Reply]
gnukfu 03:59 AM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by big a:
What do you have them set at to acheive that?
One is a Vino - that is set at 60 [that was reading 64]
The other is an Urbina that I have set at minimum cooling (it doesn't have a digital output and it tends to run cold) [that was reading 68]
[Reply]
DPD6030 01:19 AM 04-30-2009
If you have a basement put the vinos down there. It helps me out a lot. :-)
[Reply]
ChasDen 01:09 PM 04-30-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
If you have a basement put the vinos down there. It helps me out a lot. :-)
:-)

I just plugged mine in a week ago (Ohio Too).
I will be moving mine downstairs once the heat gets here to stay.

Its cooled off a bit again so I unplugged them again last night.

Chas
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up