Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor issues.
itzfrank 06:48 PM 05-08-2010
Ok. So I seasoned my humidor for a week and have had it stocked for a little while now with some of my pickups. It's a very small humidor and there's about 15 cigars in it ATM.

I was having some issues with balancing the humi's RH. It would fluctuate between 69-65. I have my digi hygro calibrated and it's not the problem. Now I found that I was comfortable with my cigars around 64-65 and it had stabilized there for a few days. I removed a cigar last night and noted that it was still 64%. Today when I get home from work she was at 61%.

I decided to do the flashlight check and sure enough, on the left side a little bit of light comes through. Is this the problem I've been looking for and how can I fix it?
[Reply]
md4958 07:16 PM 05-08-2010
are you sure you allowed enough time for you humidor to season properly? If you rush this, youre just going to cause yourself aggravation.

You can try some thin weatherstripping on the left side. After doing that I would keep your cigars in a tupperware container and season your humidor for another 7 to 10 days.

However, to be perfectly honest, I wouldnt go through the trouble. Put that humi up on craigslist, keep your cigars in a tupperware container for now, and save up for a really nice 5 times bigger than you think youll ever fill humidor. But thats just my :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:54 PM 05-08-2010
Don't worry about it and don't fuss over regulating the humidty.
[Reply]
itzfrank 08:23 PM 05-08-2010
I left my humidor to sit for a week before stocking it...

It's never been below 64 until today.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:21 PM 05-08-2010
Originally Posted by itzfrank:
...I decided to do the flashlight check and sure enough, on the left side a little bit of light comes through. Is this the problem I've been looking for and how can I fix it?
This is indicative of a leak, which will prevent the humidor from maintaining an RH.

As some have said you can ignore this and not worry about the RH, or you can seal up the leaky area. While you are sealing the humi put your cigars in a tupperware or rubbermaid container. They will keep fine there.

You could try taking it back to where ever you bought it and try to get one that has a better seal. Or, you can try sealing the leak with some wood glue -- nothing too caustic as you don't want to infect the wood with any bad odors (or flavors).

Let it dry and give it time to air out any odors from the glue, re-season it, and try again. You may find that there are additional leaks -- this is the problem with less expensive humidors.

I like a nice wooden desktop humidor -- love the spanish cedar, but my last two humidor purchases were Coleman coolers. Can't beat the price.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:33 PM 05-08-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Don't worry about it and don't fuss over regulating the humidty.
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
This is indicative of a leak, which will prevent the humidor from maintaining an RH.

As some have said you can ignore this and not worry about the RH, or you can seal up the leaky area. While you are sealing the humi put your cigars in a tupperware or rubbermaid container. They will keep fine there.

You could try taking it back to where ever you bought it and try to get one that has a better seal. Or, you can try sealing the leak with some wood glue -- nothing too caustic as you don't want to infect the wood with any bad odors (or flavors).

Let it dry and give it time to air out any odors from the glue, re-season it, and try again. You may find that there are additional leaks -- this is the problem with less expensive humidors.

I like a nice wooden desktop humidor -- love the spanish cedar, but my last two humidor purchases were Coleman coolers. Can't beat the price.
Its really not that big of a deal. All of us have stressed over Rh and temperature at one point or another. But as long as you are in the ballpark, the exact Rh of you box is not critical. Most cigars live just fine from 55-70.
As long as they are smoking well, you are golden. :-)
[Reply]
Up