Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Edgestar 28 Humidifcation problem
MortonMilo 01:51 PM 05-04-2010
I've had an edgestar for a few months now and have a recurring humidification problem. I currently use 3 lbs of heartfelt 65% beads, but constantly find the humidity closer to 55%. There is constantly water dripping down the back on the inside of the unit, which isn't a huge problem, as the beads on the bottom absorb it. The temperature is constant at ~65 degrees, but I can't seem to fix the humidity issue.

Someone with some know-how please help! Can't smoke dry cigars....
[Reply]
kydsid 02:06 PM 05-04-2010
I have a bit of experience, see here.

Is it pluged? Where is the reading from? Inside the drawers or boxes? Because that is the reading that counts, the one from right next to the cigars.

If it is plugged water coming down the back of the unit will be a way of life. You will just have to find a way to deal with it.
[Reply]
jaymz 05:42 AM 05-05-2010
I would suggest buying a couple more hygrometers and salt testing them all to compare against your current one. Then place them all over the edgestar to see if all your humidity is trapped in one area or is it the same humidity from top to bottom.
[Reply]
alwayslit 05:58 AM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by jaymz:
I would suggest buying a couple more hygrometers and salt testing them all to compare against your current one. Then place them all over the edgestar to see if all your humidity is trapped in one area or is it the same humidity from top to bottom.
....x2. Also check the feel of your cigars.
[Reply]
WhoDeySchenk 06:18 AM 05-05-2010
sounds a bit odd. I've had mine for over 6 months and no problems. I have 2lbs of 65% humidity beads and it's always been totally reliable at 65 degrees / 65% humidity. I have never once had any condensation in the unit. My drain is plugged as well.
[Reply]
md4958 06:56 AM 05-05-2010
Change the batteries in your hygrometers. Then re-calibrate them using Boveida packets, or salt test. If you havent changed your batteries in a few months that might be the cause. I have some that I need a battery change every six months, others every 2-3 months.

Try that and check back if it doesn't fix the issue

edit: Just to add 55% isnt horribly dry... some guys around here store their sticks that low on purpose. Brittleness may be an issue though.
[Reply]
Up