Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Palio Question - Cracked Heads
BlackDog 02:24 PM 09-13-2009
I seem to crack the heads of probably 50 percent or more of my cigars when I cut them. My Palio seems to function properly, but this is an annoying problem. The blades should be plenty sharp since it's only a few months old. Seems to occur on any cigar, whether NC or CC, so it can't be the stick. Any suggestions for me? Operator error?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Whee 02:34 PM 09-13-2009
I tend to moisten the cap before cutting most times. Just as if I was checking the draw, just a little slaiva and then cut. Softens up the dry sticks, and minimizes unraveling for me, if I miss cut.
[Reply]
Darrell 02:35 PM 09-13-2009
You might be cutting too slow. Just line it up and quickly cut it. Also your cigars could be too dry, the cap area seems to get it the worst in my experience.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:44 PM 09-13-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
I seem to crack the heads of probably 50 percent or more of my cigars when I cut them. My Palio seems to function properly, but this is an annoying problem. The blades should be plenty sharp since it's only a few months old. Seems to occur on any cigar, whether NC or CC, so it can't be the stick. Any suggestions for me? Operator error?
Posted via Mobile Device
Next time you're herfing with someone, you cut their cigar. If it cuts fine, it's your cigars. If not, it could be your method of cutting or the cutter itself. Let your smoking buddies cut one of their own cigars. If still a problem, then its the cutter. If not, it's how you're using the cutter.

:-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 02:51 PM 09-13-2009
good deductive reasoning /\
[Reply]
AD720 03:10 PM 09-13-2009
Are you putting your finger over the "horn"?

IE thumb inside one opening, middle finger inside the other and index finger on the "horn".

I started using that method to hold it and it cuts a lot better like that.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:30 PM 09-13-2009
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
I tend to moisten the cap before cutting most times. Just as if I was checking the draw, just a little slaiva and then cut. Softens up the dry sticks, and minimizes unraveling for me, if I miss cut.
:-)I also moisten the head before cutting. It seems to help the blades slide and not pull at the cap.

Originally Posted by pnoon:
Next time you're herfing with someone, you cut their cigar. If it cuts fine, it's your cigars. If not, it could be your method of cutting or the cutter itself. Let your smoking buddies cut one of their own cigars. If still a problem, then its the cutter. If not, it's how you're using the cutter.

Wise words from the aged one.:-)
[Reply]
vankleekkw 03:34 PM 09-13-2009
How deep are you cutting? I only take the top cap off and have no issues. I also moisten the cap prior to cutting.
[Reply]
kenstogie 03:35 PM 09-13-2009
I think you need to be decisive when cutting your cigars. No guessing. Make sure your fingers are out of the way and do it.
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 03:51 PM 09-13-2009
I can't really say anymore than what everyone else has suggested....try them all my friend!
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:07 PM 09-13-2009
Warren...send me your cigars so I can inspect them and make sure nothing is wrong with them. :-):-):-)
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 06:40 PM 09-13-2009
I agree with moistening the cap before cutting. Seems to make them more pliable and less susceptible to damage.

Cheers!
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 09:14 PM 09-13-2009
But only do it and than use your "own personal" cutter, never do that with a B&M's cutter.

Just like the people who physically touch the bottom of their noses when sniffing a cigar (I have always hated that myself) and put it back in the box....think cold and flu season....would you want to be the one that end's up buying that cigar!
[Reply]
icehog3 09:25 PM 09-13-2009
As Peter implied, sounds like your cigars might be a bit dry. I would check the accuracy of my hygrometer if it were me.
[Reply]
Scottw 09:38 PM 09-13-2009
The problem with this is the additional cuts on other cigars, I had someone ask me for my cutter today after gobbing all over his RP Decade. I told him to dry the end of the stick before putting my cutter all over the soppy stick. He seemed offended but I don't want his slobber on my next smoke so I don't reccommend "salivating" it up. Cut faster, especially with a Palio. No reason to be butchering cigars with it.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 10:43 PM 09-13-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:

I concur with the "Peter Principal".:-)
[Reply]
eber 12:24 PM 09-14-2009
I do the same thing, no more cracked heads :-)
[Reply]
Up